Changes in store for the 2019 WSOP!

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure how I feel about the BB ante structure. It's good for the beginning and to get the small antes out of the way, but for the later stages it doesn't really make sense.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Not sure how I feel about the BB ante structure. It's good for the beginning and to get the small antes out of the way, but for the later stages it doesn't really make sense.

I noticed a few twitter comments in favour of it all but will wait and see how well it goes down this summer.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love the big blind ante. The reason is that your not losing a little bit of your stack every hand and if you happen to catch a good hand on the big blind it can work out well for you. Also it does speed up the game a little because you know people always have to be reminded to ante up.

fishfood80

fishfood80

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I didn't care for it at first but after an adjustment period I'm now in favor of it. I like that your not in every pot constantly depositing chips out of your stack. I also like that it gives the BB a bigger reason to defend ( not that most need any more). It also speeds up the game and the dealer doesn't have to be on the lookout for who's not in. In my opinion good for the game.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If the players are in fact in favor of the changes, good deal.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I like this game structure where the big blind only pays the antes , it speeds up the game . Also bigger stacks will give players opportunities to see more hands/flops at the first levels of a tournament and try to get lucky , won't it ?
I really hope players have a better poker experience this summer :)

RutgersOneTime

RutgersOneTime

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I like it, but won't really know about the big blind ante until we see it.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Making starting stacks bigger is really good. Give people some extra time at the tables, and with more chips in play, late stages of the tournament should be more fun to watch as everyone would be deeper nearing the end of the tournament.

But this BBante change I dislike completely. Although it can really slow down the game when the dealer needs to remind players to put the ante, this format is "faster" but is not good in several other aspects.

First thing that comes up is that your BB is effectively worth 2 BBs. Meaning your 20BB stacks is effectively worth 10BBs. It should greatly change the perspective of the hands played. Should a 30BB stack (effectively 15BBs) use push/fold strategy for a short stack that is less then 20BBs worth?

Another thing is that, having one player give both ante and BB, it seems as if that particular player is being pressured pre-flop, as he has most of his chips in.

Also, let's say there is a 3x bet pre, the player on the BB has to add another 2BBs, regardless of putting ante already. That makes it really expensive to defend the blinds, which is really a crucial part of the game.

WSOP