A man was busted for operating a poker room in Michigan

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
John Thatcher of Michigan, also known as the PLO Professor, was not trying to skirt the law when opening a poker room in the city of Marquette, Michigan. He felt he had done his due diligence and opened his poker room with full transparency. However, it did not take long for Michigan officials to complete an investigation and shut down the poker room on July 8, 2021.

Thatcher was charged in May 2022 and faced five other felony counts, including two counts of using computers to commit a crime, and a high misdemeanor count of permitting a gambling house for profit.

Details of this incident can be found here >>> Michigan Man Sentenced for Running Small Social Poker Club

thatcher-michigan-social-club-1-800x534.jpeg

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
The little lawyer in me is not surprised. It doesn't matter how openly or well planned everything was done. If it is against regulations then what is there to say?

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
The little lawyer in me is not surprised. It doesn't matter how openly or well planned everything was done. If it is against regulations then what is there to say?
Yes you're right ..but there is something to say..
This country is messed up . Everyone can carry a gun but god beware someone plays cards for money.
Cause we all know gambling is way more dangerous than allowing any lunatic to carry a gun 🙄
Newsflash Americans ...you're independent for quite a while now. No need to defend yourself from the english king anymore

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
John Thatcher of Michigan, also known as the PLO Professor, was not trying to skirt the law when opening a poker room in the city of Marquette, Michigan. He felt he had done his due diligence and opened his poker room with full transparency. However, it did not take long for Michigan officials to complete an investigation and shut down the poker room on July 8, 2021.

Thatcher was charged in May 2022 and faced five other felony counts, including two counts of using computers to commit a crime, and a high misdemeanor count of permitting a gambling house for profit.

Details of this incident can be found here >>> Michigan Man Sentenced for Running Small Social Poker Club

I saw some plo videos of this guy on ttk, good player, nothing more. As for the closure of the poker house, once again the state sticking its finger where it shouldn't

Spannerdeth

Spannerdeth

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a tax and licensing thing isn't it? If there's any sort of rake going to the house then it needs to be taxed, but if it's being tipped at a home game it's fine?

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This country is messed up . Everyone can carry a gun but god beware someone plays cards for money.
Cause we all know gambling is way more dangerous than allowing any lunatic to carry a gun 🙄
Newsflash Americans ...you're independent for quite a while now. No need to defend yourself from the english king anymore
could be a damn ponzi scheme huh :rolleyes: unfortunately he is one of the few :rolleyes:

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m even afraid to imagine how many years the prosecutor will ask the judge, given the specifics of American laws, I won’t be surprised if he asks for 160 years for this innocent guy

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I would not trust rooms that have no history)

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The state will always come down hard on you if you cut into their sources of revenue.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips

CardsChat really needs a sad emoji in the options when you click on "Like", because that is how this story makes me feel.

Sad-Face-Emoji.png

B

budweiser74777

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everyone is trying to survive as best they can.))))))))))))))))))00

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Now he’ll have a pretty easy time in the county jail :ROFLMAO:
People who commit crime want to have an easy life at the cost of others, when I say “others” I mean society. The fact is there are laws and a special place for all of those, paraphrasing Black Sabbat at the John Peel’s sessions on BBC: “there’s a place for all bad sinners” (hell).