D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The link below gives us an inside look at the WSOP through the lens of Chris Wallace, one last time.

Thanks for the memories!

End of an Era: The 2021 WSOP in Pictures

It is the end of an era in a physical and historical sense.

However, what struck me by the end of the series was, there appeared to be a welcome decline in commentary riddled with cliched baloney. Not exactly consigned to the dustbin of history but notably lessened but for one crank.

I followed poker media even before I played. The conversation unrelenting swirled around two subjects - old school versus new school and GTO had taken over the game. Being something of a culturalist, I could imagine how online play had progressed the game. But I never subscribed to the idea an older player could not get with the online program.

Similarly, having a general idea of game theory I found the notion it would take over poker as risible. It was being presented if you did not study game theory you would not be fit to play. I almost never took up the game.

Yet, this year, the WSOP player of the year was Josh Arieh, 47. Second was Phil Helmuth, 57 with Daniel Negreanu, 47 taking third.

I don't think you need to be a fan of any of them to appreciate the accomplishment. And I was happy not to wade through the WSOP without too much cliched bunk about old school/new school...hoodie and sunglass wearing bots etc. Yes, the tired old cliches did come up, but less than ever. If that's all the poker schtick you have at your disposal then can we make more room for the likes of Jamie Kerstetter who was a fresh breeze at the WSOP?

Let's hope that in the Bally's era we can simply appreciate a crusher at any age for what they are - a poker talent plain and simple.

Shells

Shells

Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Personally, I am excited to see how the new venue will work for the next WSOP. I am fairly certain there will be hiccups, memorable or not, but am still very interested to see how everything transpires. Sometimes, change is good! We will see a lot of the same faces who have been promoting poker over the years and hopefully have some new faces to keep us all engaged.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this WSOP thread over the weeks, it has been so good to see daily updates and yet again - unknowns to win and become household names - i really enjoyed the photos from Shells last post as you could almost feel you were there, walking the carpet and sampling the atmosphere which much have been electric.
Credit to Phil Helmuth as well - its an incredible achievement at bracelet 16 and im pretty sure he will continue adding to that.
Personal fave highlight for me was Micheal Addamo winning the high roller.

Roll on next year!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Yet, this year, the WSOP player of the year was Josh Arieh, 47. Second was Phil Helmuth, 57 with Daniel Negreanu, 47 taking third.

These three have worked a ton on their game in recent years.... especially Daniel.

WSOP Royal Vegas - Leo Vegas - Sky Vegas