How Much would you Deposit?

L

Lolita

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play mostly free games, but in the past I've deposited some cash. In total something around $150, but in small stacks of $25 or $30. Full Tilt, for example, and partypoker as well now ask a minimum of $50. That's too much for me, It feels like throwing away 50 bucks, whereas I don't mind "losing" 30 bucks on fun.

What do you think?

H

harriskem

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
there really is no difference in 30$ or 50$. Just put the 50 on and that way you can play more tournaments

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the difference should be that now you're a member of cc you've read some great posts are are starting to improve your game . #1 you should have read the posts on bankroll MANAGEMENT , very important part of the game . if you don't feel ready then don't deposit yet . read more and make cc a daily exercise , if you can't learn here you won't learn anywhere . good luck Lolita :)

canesin

canesin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
nothing.. I already put $25 in the past in PartyPoker .. now I'm playing full tilt and want to make a bankroll :D ...
Just win some in the many freeroll that have in the game and with the earned money enter in some major tournaments..
:)

L

Lolita

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the difference should be that now you're a member of cc you've read some great posts are are starting to improve your game . #1 you should have read the posts on BANKROLL MANAGEMENT , very important part of the game . if you don't feel ready then don't deposit yet . read more and make cc a daily exercise , if you can't learn here you won't learn anywhere . good luck Lolita :)

that's a great advice. A CC exercise a day keeps the depositbutton away. That should be the CC-quote. :D

NineLions

NineLions

Advanced beginner
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play mostly free games, but in the past I've deposited some cash. In total something around $150, but in small stacks of $25 or $30. Full Tilt, for example, and PartyPoker as well now ask a minimum of $50. That's too much for me, It feels like throwing away 50 bucks, whereas I don't mind "losing" 30 bucks on fun.

What do you think?

the difference should be that now you're a member of cc you've read some great posts are are starting to improve your game . #1 you should have read the posts on BANKROLL MANAGEMENT , very important part of the game . if you don't feel ready then don't deposit yet . read more and make cc a daily exercise , if you can't learn here you won't learn anywhere . good luck Lolita :)

Like jay says, bankroll management is important.

On the other hand, if it's "entertainment" money, ie. instead of going out for an evening of dinner/nightclubbing you put $30 into a poker site, and it fits your personal budget, then I don't think there's anything wrong with doing that once in a while. If $50 is too much, try a different site, or, save up two "evenings" worth and deposit $60.

Not everyone has to be a winning player to have fun. But, with bankroll management you could have both.

dweezel

dweezel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why deposit at all.....
I got a total of $ 200 split between two sites and never deposited..
The object is to take other peoples money not give away yours.
Practice ...practice...... practice.
freerolls and bankroll management ..... get you started
And reading and posting at CC of course ...

icecold24k

icecold24k

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also have never deposited at a poker site. I did however try to deposit one time at Ultimate Bet but my card was declined due to it being an American bank i assume. In return they gave me $10 for the inconvenience and i have managed to build it up. Also I have cashed in free rolls and I'm working on building them stacks up also.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
How much to deposit?

Personally I deposited $325 split between two sites when I first started playing online. Very first night I placed in 2nd in The Ferguson on Fulltilt, adding another $114 on there.
After playing for some time in micro buy-ins and actually cashing for over $250 in priv. freerolls ($97 in one day), I still actually felt I didn't have enough in my poker bankroll to be comfortably playing in the buy-ins I preferred. So,... the question is really relevant to what one's goals are in online poker. Mine were to find my own particular niche and then to make sure I had the bankroll to support it so that I wasn't playing with scared money. I personally prefer to keep about 50 mtt buy-ins in my account and my buy-in preference is $26 mtts on Fulltilt.
I also have an account where I made the min. deposit, playing mostly freerolls on it, the occassional priv. tourney and some cheapo ring games. That account seemed to soar a bit for awhile but has levelled off at around $200,.. not enough to play the games I'd prefer to be playing so am using it for more of the same (freerolls, etc.).
I personally don't like playing the super micro buy-in mtts online and do much better in larger buy-ins. Playing at a table of mostly loose pass/pass and loose pass/agg. just isn't the kind of tables I like to be on.

Pretty sure it's just a personal preference. My choice originally was to deposit just one time,.. and to deposit enough so that I wouldn't have to ever again (deposit once then manage it). I did end up depositing again because I discovered the roll still just wasn't big enough.
GL!

RichKo

RichKo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There's not that much of a difference between 30 and fifty so I wouldnt really worry about it. Here's how I justify it...Goin bar hoppin usually kills at least 100, sometimes more so whats fifty for the greatest game around.

KingCurtis

KingCurtis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have gotten lucky and turned 1-20$ into a nice chunk of change...but I would recomend having the lowest recomended BRM roll to deposit for the lowest stakes if that's what you wanna play....let's say 10nl and 4$ sngs or mtts, I would deposit 200$, but if thats a bit much then cut that in half and play 2$ sngs or mtts and 5nl...best plan imo! gl

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Go to pokerstars they have $10 minimum, and they are the best site imo.
And dont forget it's only money.:p

Monoxide

Monoxide

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
enough to get a roll going on a new site, $500 minimum deposit.

whats the diff between 30 and 50 dorrars? its like the same.

zachvac

zachvac

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No offense, but to all the BR posts, a BR requires that the OP first be a winning player. While he may very well be, the part about entertainment and dropping money every time and not worrying about it makes me think maybe he isn't. If he is not a winning player, it doesn't matter how much money he has, even if he plays the $1 games with 50k he will go broke in the long run. If you are a winning player and would like to build a BR, definitely look at BRM articles/posts here. If you are just looking to deposit and have some fun blowing the money, then you should deposit what you're willing to lose. There are plenty of sites to choose from so if you only want to lose $30 and not $50 pick someplace like Pokerstars that allows a deposit of $30.

In general, a winning player looking to build a bankroll requires a bankroll and thus bankroll management.

A recreational player (winning or losing) who doesn't mind losing everything, requires a budget. If your budget is $50 you could easily sit at a 50nl table with it all and hope to hit it big. If you're looking to build a bankroll, sitting with your entire BR at a 50nl table is bankroll suicide.

It's all about what you want out of it.

S

Stefan_m

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As many of you folks, I'm trying to build a major bankroll (if I get to a million everyone in Cardschat will have a small share :D ). Anyway before depositing if I will ever do it, I need to sharpen my skills...

Pothole

Pothole

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When depositing ask yourself , "what am I going to play"?. If your gonna play ring ( any level ) an even amount of however much is fine. If you plan to play sng's or mtt's, remember the 10% fee (most sites). If you plan the latter, do not deposit an even amount, eg. $55 deposit gives you 10 tourney buy-ins, a $50 deposit plays 9 tourneys and leaves you with 50c you can't do nuttin with (on most sites). Besides bankroll management, think money management, most sites will not allow you to withdraw fractions of a dollar, so if you have $120:80 on a site and you wanna empty your account. Sit at a micro ring with $1:80, if you get up to $2 or down to a dollar, leave the table and either withdraw $120 or $121. Exclude PS from all the above, they have 10c mtt's and you can withdraw fractions of a dollar too there.:deal:

B

b33m3r

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
depositing

subscribed.gif
pokertime site ( locked out )
b33m3r
i would read my blog before depositing to any site in the future, as i feel ive been cheated into depositing, i feel the info they require is absolutely unneccessary.
good luck.