Did YouTube make poker more popular?

fullclock

fullclock

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I believe that the Internet in general improved all sports thanks to its arrival to each person in each home. YouTube, thanks to its videos, popularized the best tournaments and players as well. I'm glad we have these tools to keep sports growing.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
perhaps, but not much. why is poker on YouTube not popular. Remember when the poker world series was shown with correspondents from all countries and broadcasts were conducted in all languages, then many new players came, it was the dawn of pokerstars, how much he did for the development and coverage of poker, poured money (on which he naturally earned (guide )).
Unfortunately, no one wants to spend a lot of money in the poker industry these days.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think so, but television played an important role because they first made public poker for the wider world, so to speak :), in addition to becoming popular you have to have a good promotion of the events you support. So poker promoters also played an important role:)

A

AlexandruL08

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I sint think so, because all the viewers are playing poker regular.

SaraAyer

SaraAyer

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I believe that the Internet in general, no only the youtube. With the outbreak of the pandemic, I received the same depression, like many people in the world. And then I started learning to play Poker. This helped me cope with the disease.

thedarkman

thedarkman

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I believe that the Internet in general improved all sports thanks to its arrival to each person in each home. YouTube, thanks to its videos, popularized the best tournaments and players as well. I'm glad we have these tools to keep sports growing.

YouTube and the Internet generally. How many people play on-line who never or very seldom play live? And how many tables can you play live?

V

valetgll

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I completely agree with the opinion about YouTube. I watch little TV now. All I need and I am interested in how I quickly find a video on YouTube. Even the news.

C

cowboybebop

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it did,but thats a pretty obvious answer.Youtube is a huge platform,and its not just the normal poker thats gotten popular,but also a ridicolous surge in popularity of online poker,also due to corona and lockdown.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Definitely so. I often watch recordings of broadcasts of previous tournaments and while watching these videos I analyze the game of players and think about what decision I would make in their place.

cardplayer2k21

cardplayer2k21

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
I also like watching twitch sometimes to see the thought process of other players

DiegoRamos

DiegoRamos

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

Particularly I think the growth really happened thanks to tv, ESPN specifically.

When they decided to broadcast tournaments and cash games, it was the big boom in poker.

I remember that moment...I started watching it on TV before I had access to the internet.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the internet (like YouTube or cardschat :) ) is responsible for the "average" poker player being more knowledgeable now (versus two decades ago when c-betting every pot was profitable xD), but perhaps not as much responsible for popularizing poker.

What popularized poker the most was probably card cams and the ability for people to watch televised poker and understand somewhat better what was going on. Moneymaker winning the wsop was just the icing on the cake at the right moment in history to explode what was already beginning to boom.

Regardless, there is no denying that the amount of poker information available to the general public (and even free in many cases!) is astoundingly vast for those willing to search it out and learn. :)

NightStalker

NightStalker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Of course, you can watch and learn poker in many channels on Youtube.

adriantempo

adriantempo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
YouTube or other platforms. Internet in general.
I think streaming is another important factor. Nothing beats live play. For example on Twitch.

spectralwave

spectralwave

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The streamers channels are getting stronger the guys doing live of big tournaments, this strengthens your learning in poker a lot, seeing big big of professional players playing live on several platforms besides youtube.:icon_sant

J

Joe1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it was more like the live streams, or the television that broadcast a lot of poker back then, to be honest, mostly followed it on twitch, for example.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Only poker-related thing i've ever watched in Youtube was about some guy overpeforming in Masterchef so no :hmmmm2:

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I agree with you that YouTube has added new poker players, I myself like to watch the EPT series

791a791

791a791

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
internet

it wasn't youtube it was the internet as a whole that popularized poker around the world

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
You Tube did not do anything specific for poker that it has not done for every other human activity. Several hours of content are uploaded to You Tube every single minute...from K Pop, travel. cars and knitting...to poker.

That said, there is less Poker now available on the internet because PokerGo made a deal with the WSOP etc. to put all its content (past and present) behind PokerGO's paywall.

As a consequence less people are currently being drawn to poker than in previous years. The WSOP each year received massive viewing figures (millions of hits) but now all anyone can watch are clips that PokerGo releases to drive subscriptions.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Internet has made poker popular and Youtube was a part of it. I remember 15 years ago poker was all over in TV and we played online but we did not use Youtube. That changed a bit later, when I found out about the streams and players who explained hands, rules and commented fo hours on online tournaments.

77ecos

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think twitch can achieve that, on YouTube I don't think so, there was never a boom on YouTube and it has been years since there have been videos of different things, vlogs, learning, online poker, etc. and they are not popular on the site:jd4::jd4::jd4::jd4:

D

Daen27

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, without YouTube, I wouldn't have learned about poker. I saw a lot of training that I learned on YouTube.