Your mind must be active, you must be focused

Vencedor23

Vencedor23

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CR
Chips
Poker is a very complex mental sport, it doesn't give you advantages and mistakes are expensive. every grain of sand that we can contribute to our benefit is fundamental, study, discipline, effort, etc, etc, etc. I have only put it into practice and I must say that it has helped me a handful of grains of sand. I did the complete opposite of what I should do when I played a poker table, I thought it was normal to do it, that it was fine. Now I make fewer mistakes, I pay more attention at the tables and it is much easier for me to stay focused. Now I have the tools to fight the external and internal distractions that are frequently inside my head and that I didn't even notice before. Concentration is key to avoiding small leaks of attention that translate into losses, knowing how to control variance, not going into tilt and wanting to seek results off the bench is essential to never go bankrupt.

hamon08

hamon08

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is a very complex mental sport, it doesn't give you advantages and mistakes are expensive. every grain of sand that we can contribute to our benefit is fundamental, study, discipline, effort, etc, etc, etc. I have only put it into practice and I must say that it has helped me a handful of grains of sand. I did the complete opposite of what I should do when I played a poker table, I thought it was normal to do it, that it was fine. Now I make fewer mistakes, I pay more attention at the tables and it is much easier for me to stay focused. Now I have the tools to fight the external and internal distractions that are frequently inside my head and that I didn't even notice before. Concentration is key to avoiding small leaks of attention that translate into losses, knowing how to control variance, not going into tilt and wanting to seek results off the bench is essential to never go bankrupt.
Being mentally and physically prepared for the game is also very important. If you are not exhausted and tired, the game will go much better. This is something I often notice when I sit down to play. When you are cheerful and in a good mood, you will make fewer mistakes and be focused on every moment of the game. Many players even meditate before the game, but I don't practice it)

NiallPlays

NiallPlays

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I totally agree my decision making is quite bad when I am tired and I’m sure it’s costed me a few times, so being well rested is a must!

Highfish

Highfish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
When I play poker I want to win money. Of course, my opponents want that too.
Ergo, I have to be prepared; if not, my money goes to others who have. So always do everything to be fit for the battle.

PauPau

PauPau

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
Very good post sir, hope i can discipline myself also especially the outside distraction.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
yes , indeed that the corect way to play the game of poker :)

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I also think poker doesn't mix with any activity whatsoever. I lost hand and tournaments even because I offered (very brief) replies to members of the family. Yesterday was the best example in this regard... I had one pocket diamond(K) and the flop came in with 3 diamonds... Having a good chance of a flush I continued to bet. Turn comes in, not a diamond but still I fencied my chances again the only opponent left... So I go all in... River comes and there's the flush... Nicely done... Opponent had high pair Aces... But WAIT! What is this? I didn't win? There must be some kind of mistake... And indeed it was... Being tired and having a brief conversation with my wife just as the flop came in... My brain "saw" the first card of the flop as being the A of diamonds instead of the A of hearts... A funny mistake just to exemplify what not being 100% when playing poker can do to you.

Spielkind

Spielkind

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker is a skill Game. You must have a good Knowledge at the Table, read Persons, see reactions, a good training, a good health with sports and activity, enough sleep for a good brainset and mindset. And a lilttle Luck, too.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me the mental part is what makes difference between have success as poker player or not.

A

Adieadie

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are not exhausted and tired, the game will go much better.

JappsPK

JappsPK

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I totally agree my decision making is quite bad when I am tired and I’m sure it’s costed me a few times, so being well rested is a must!
I can say no more. Sleeping well for ppl who plays everyday is a must! And not playing poker sleppy!

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I think everyone understands how important discipline is in poker. But it's easy to say, hard to do.

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well of course it's easier to make good decisions where you are focus and not tired. So you need to be healthy and well prepared. Sport can help to learn discipline and concentration.

Gary_Heart

Gary_Heart

Gotta Have Heart
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Double Shot or Makers Mark Please?
:D

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
I completely agree with you. Concentration is a very important factor. But the ability to stay focused for long periods of time only comes with experience. And in order to accumulate experience, patience is necessary. Therefore, our patience is the basis for everything, for our experience, for our craftsmanship, and for concentration.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
your mind should be active all 4-8 hours as long as your poker tournament is going on, but there is a moment of luck that can come closer to the final table and you will lose to your opponent because luck is on his side today and all the 4-8 hours you played so hard and tried to win the tournament will be eliminated because your opponent is lucky so be vigilant

Dom409

Dom409

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Poker is a very complex mental sport, it doesn't give you advantages and mistakes are expensive. Every grain of sand that we can contribute to our benefit is fundamental, study, discipline, effort, etc., etc., etc., etc. I just put it into practice and I must say that a handful of grains of sand helped me. I did the opposite of what I should do when I played a poker table. I thought it was normal to do that, that everything was fine. Now I make fewer mistakes, pay more attention at the tables, and it's much easier to stay focused. I now have the tools to fight against the external and internal distractions that are often inside my head and that I didn't even notice before. Concentration is essential to avoid minor attention gaps that result in losses, to know how to control the variance,
That's right 🙏.
Without concentration you make mistakes after another, and I was unable to develop a coherent strategy in the game... it is very important to always be studying to improve and put into practice that theory learned in the study..
So here's the tip, believe it and follow what you're studying and there will only be better.
GL.

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
While a poker session is going on, the mind must be fully focused. I agree that any mistake can lead to irreparable consequences, the main thing is not to tilt.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I over think it most times, so I play sudoko while playing poker on line. It helps me focus better on the game without over thinking it.

pokerapprentice23

pokerapprentice23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Hey there,
maybe this is the right thread to post my query.
I'm starting to learn how to play poker and I'm very conscious of the preparation, effort and discipline needed to make progress - so I'm NOT PLAYING but READING first.
I'm working through poker books and pre-flop strategy and the like. It's fascinating: like a road-map to a new adventurous journey and I'm looking forward to taking one step at a time slowly ... here is my question:
How do you advise to put all this well-written and well-read strategy into practice? There is so much information out there! And so little chance to experiment in the field.
And everybody says: Study your opponent - make notes - revise your game - try out ... well how am I supposed to do all that?

One piece of the puzzle at the time? Like for instance starting Limit-Hold'em online and then proceed to Pot-Limit and then on to No Limit?
Or No-Limit Hold'em Microstakes?
Or freerolls? Or home-rounds?

How do you guys study and play at the same time? I read somewhere that there should be a 30/70 ratio between study/playing.
But as a beginner- I reckon - playing is also studying. I can't find the right starting point because I'm a little overwhelmed.

Please let me know your thoughts and/or your personal "path" to become the player you currently are.

Much appreciated,
Thanks for bearing up with me and reading this.

Keep floppin' ;-)
Fred

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
One of the reasons for the frequent mistakes in poker and not only is absent-mindedness. Concentration of attention is one of the most important qualities of mental activity. The ability to focus on a particular process allows us to think clearly, assess the situation and make the right decisions.Good concentration and attention span definitely have a positive effect on the player's profit. This should serve as the main motivation for you to train your concentration.
Another very important factor is your physical condition.
No matter how hard you try to focus on the game, if you feel unwell, something hurts or you are hungry, all your efforts are in vain.