When the internet fails in online poker

Leandro6803

Leandro6803

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's a boring and hopeless situation when you have a value hand and only see it after the internet is back up.

for those who play online a good internet makes a difference in the gameplay and strategies of the game, especially if you play many tables at the same time.

Has this ever happened to you?

Last edited:
Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
It happened. I try to be calm in these situations. I think that nothing terrible happened, it's just a game.

tony2521

tony2521

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PA
Chips
The truth is exasperating when you have a good hand and you are trying to get the maximum value possible, I think it has happened to all of us but we have to get used to it and be aware that at any moment it can happen and not fall into tilt

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, that's for sure, stable Internet is probably the most important thing for online poker.
It also happens that the power outage is also very annoying, okay, even when they turn off for an hour, it's clear that something is being done at the power plant, and sometimes they turn off the electricity and turn it on in three minutes, and you run nervously to turn on the computer, start the poker room, and this makes you even more nervous.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For cash players, the Internet gap is not as scary as for tournament players, in cash games you will simply go into a sitout, but in a tournament, the Internet gap is equivalent to a loss.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Once occurred a long time ago I was in the middle of a tournament as a chip leader, and it took me an hour to get the Internet back, but by then, I had barely any chips... it was hard.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's a boring and hopeless situation when you have a value hand and only see it after the internet is back up.

for those who play online a good internet makes a difference in the gameplay and strategies of the game, especially if you play many tables at the same time.

It happened to me once, I was playing a freeroll tournament, and I only paid for the first three, the tournament had already been going on for several hours, and I finally managed to reach the final table, and when we were down to five and I was third in chips my internet went down, and when he returned the tournament was already over.:(:mad:

katifanko

katifanko

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Ugh it happened to me so many times I wanted to cry every time. It's mostly my pokerstars phone App glitching. When I'm on a laptop it doesn't happen.

MrrrRock

MrrrRock

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

try nosebleeding tournaments and electricity falls for 30 minutes. Twice!
... lost couple of K that night and still is disgusting to remember

and no, it was local site without mobile app

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it happens! One think I did which helps was get a hot spot on my phone. Then if the internet goes down I can turn that on and get back online.

Reload

Reload

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's really nice, when you are getting close to the final table, for a big prize, and then kaput.
Bad memories...

GDKavindu

GDKavindu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LK
Chips
Its happend.Go ahead without thinking about it

Alizona

Alizona

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I live in an area where the power lines (and internet) go thru miles of forested area with big old trees... and its also a snowy region so there are days in the winter where I just do not play poker, if they are predicting a heavy snowfall, I know its a risk of the power going out so I am proactive and anticipate the worst. Why take a chance of losing my buy-ins?

Of course, there was the time that a snow plow didn't realize there was a ground box and pushed his pile of snow right into it, knocking out the internet for 3 days. LOL Sometimes it's not even a snowstorm, there can be random events like a car accident taking down a pole somewhere.

The rest of the year is better but I take the same proactive approach on summer days when they are predicting late afternoon thunderstorms. I basically have to anticipate the weather where I live and react accordingly in advance. As I'm fond of saying in this life, "It is what it is." I try to do the best I can with it even if its on a Sunday which is often the only day of the week that I play poker. There's always next week!

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Yes it happens! One think I did which helps was get a hot spot on my phone. Then if the internet goes down I can turn that on and get back online.

That is a brilliant idea Amanda. I may have to do that. Not that i lose internet much but it happens to us all.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is a brilliant idea Amanda. I may have to do that. Not that i lose internet much but it happens to us all.
Thanks so much! I actually use it much more than I thought I would. I'm in Brooklyn, not in the remote countryside, but Spectrum seems to be on our corner fixing the internet every other week!

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I'm already used to the loss of the Internet during poker tournaments, I have to restart the computer, in May I will change the operator.

M

Mmaxiii

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happen, and unfortunately we cant do nothing, even when you only want to cry haha

Maxmustdie

Maxmustdie

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had internet cuts even on the final table
how i burned not to express in words

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm usually a very calm person, but if there is something that really got me mad is when the internet fails, mainly when I'm playing poker, it's so frustrating to see your ROI going away because of something u are paying for use and that should, most of time, work fine.

G

GIB

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a big problem for me. It happens recently that the Internet is turned off for 3-5 minutes and I can’t do anything about it. The Internet provider is practically a monopolist and the quality of services is not high, and it is a state corporation. I am very angry at this moment.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Yes, many times. This is the nature of the environment. I've been in Spin-Go's and tournaments where I was in the money going for bigger money when my connection to the game crapped out. These were $1,000+ games where the pay scale is exponential so getting 3rd in such a Spin game is a big loss and similarly for the tournament where the losses are in the tens of $1,000's for every place lost.
Solution, have at least one laptop you can access which has the updated poker software and have a hotspot alternative internet connection. This helped me a few times. In the majority of cases however, it was the poker site's server to my area that was down..somehow..a clever hack..an inside job..(unibet scandal)..who knows. There's an internet site which lists internet outages and what poker sites are affected in real-time..sorry, I don't have it immediately available to provide it but if you look I'm sure you can find it quickly. The same goes for storms and power outages...good luck:D

EmptyHouse

EmptyHouse

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
This has happened to me several times and it is very annoying.
Higher stakes tournament players protect themselves by paying for two ISPs.
Another emergency solution may also be to make your phone a hot spot.