When the bankroll bleed

M

Misticblair

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi there folks. I am thinking about my previous bankrolls. When I was starting it was always the same - I was starting with (let's say 50usd) and played mtts 1.10 up to 3.30 + some 2nl 1-2 tablets. After a while I understood that something is wrong and I realised that I bleed because of mtts. There is around 2k on average pool of people in each tournament on micro stakes. Now my question here is... should we even bother to play mtts on this level ? I think it is huge variance there, when (for example 109 there is only couple hundereds I saw like 200-500) so... how I see it now is that, it is reasonable to play K.O's but not Hots or bigs with such big pool. literally you can lose around 20+ times before you get to final table there. and it is already 80+ % of bankroll (if you start as low as 50 or even 100) .

What you guys think ? SnG, only cash, or mix between cash/mtt or something different ?

Ps. I see a lot of different attempts with rolls, 20-50-100+ buyins on level but I stick with 20-30buyins - any idea what is good for me to play in that case ? - I just want to see how you guys see it.

Yanko57

Yanko57

Community Guide
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, bankroll management. If you can't afford too many bad beats, you're playing too high buy-ins.

Secondly, I so understand how rustrating it is, but if you can beat this limit (even with as many participants), it takes only ONE win to get all your money back.

Perseverance is the key. My mother-in-law played 39 S&G 1.50$/45 players and cashed in only 7. She's up overall... Why? When she cashes, she cashes big.

The same goes for tournament, but there's more variance to it.

M

Misticblair

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly and I wanted to focus only on that variance in here. :) My bankroll management is all fine, I just came up with the idea to put this thread on and see the answers from other people to what I learned through last 2 years.
It's good you mention that 'too high' level and all, so can't wait to see wht other people will say about bankroll management.

T

triplstacker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play cash. It's lower variance IMO. 20 buy-ins at 2nl is more than enough.

Zvezda kz

Zvezda kz

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey.
I think that for different disciplines you need a separate bankroll. MTT and cash is a completely different game, such as preflop and postflop. I mostly play mtt and for a stable game, plus I need about 30 buy-ins, but this only applies to microlimit. My friend plays cache nl25-50, 100-150 Bane is enough for him.

This Fish Chums

This Fish Chums

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have you stopped to think that maybe you're just not as talented at navigating a huge field of players? No offense intended, but navigating a huge field is actually a different skillset than playing cash or SnGs. if you play them the same way then you need to do more research into playing large MTTs. I, personally, ragte myself as a poor MTT player and a mediocre Cash player, so I try to stick to Cash games, but usually play freerolls to build my MTT skills.

T

Tommyc9494

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just keep playing in cash games till you build up a roll your happy with mate then do something like a 50/50 split half your profits can go into your roll and the other half can be used for mtt that way if you don’t cash your not leaking funds and if you do cash you might cash big and move up a few stakes in one go

P

paapcity

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Tommyc9494.
Play the game your the best in and use the profits to learn the mtt

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management