Chips
np Good job Aliengenius. Was fun but I'm done for the night. GL

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Blah I hope mine comes soon I want to partake in this discussion.

N

NoMem

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As promised, I did receive my copy yesterday. So, Thank You Carl. I will read it by the end of the week and let know what a beginner thinks.

S

sinkist

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
An excerpted quote from your book on another forum:
"When playing poker live, an experienced player coupled with a little luck is a winning hand. But when playing online, rampant cheating and endless numbers of bad players make the luck factor the deciding factor. "

The fact that you think endless bad players is bad for poker makes it seem to me that you haven't the slightest idea of how to play yourself.

vanquish

vanquish

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wish the book would hurry up and get here.

Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great review Alien. Would recommend reading Alien's reviews before buying this book.
FYP

My copy arrived on Tuesday, I read two chapters then immediately moved it into the bathroom for extended sittings reading. Can't bring myself to spend any other of time reading it any further than I did before relegating it to the bathroom. I'll post more thoughts after I read the whole thing.

J

joeeagles

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aliengenius = the man. You need to write your own book!

Wow, AG, I'm really impressed. I somehow missed this thread. By what you describe this book really has no value, and knowing how many books you have read on poker certainly qualifies you as an expert on this subject, so I'll take your opinion on it.

If you ever win a wsop bracelet (not impossible at all if you get there thriough a satellite), I think you should take Rob's advice.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My turn.

Finished the book. I thought about sending the author a bag full of comma's. It might have added 20 pages to the book.

I sent him this short review;

Carl

I just finished reading the book you sent me, and as promised here is my review.

I will forego the obvious criticisms, which you are probably sick of hearing about. That of course would be the punctuation and odd word usage. Hire a proofreader if you do that book on horses.

Nice history gave way to an almost paranoid caution of the pitfalls and possible shady practice of others online. You put it in ways that gave me a good long think. That is good. You may have carried it on a bit too far. Getting into what I agree is likely the best strategy toward playing online poker, MTT's, you covered that well. I refined my thinking quite a bit because of your ideas.

In a nutshell your book covers the cautions, and opportunities available online playing poker these days. Obviously many will disagree with your findings, I found nothing so disagreeable.

Would I recommend it? Not at that price. All the info you provide is worthy of getting to the masses, but I think as articles in any of the regular poker magazines.

dj.

I am not opposed to this book. There are enough good ideas in it to read it. Alien obviously studied it a bit more than I did.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow, AG, I'm really impressed. I somehow missed this thread. By what you describe this book really has no value

I wouldn't say the book as NO value (see some of the positive comments I tried to make earlier). However, one of the main premises of the book is that poor play on line (combined with the other factors he mentions) makes the game unbeatable. To be fair, perhaps the author feels this is due to a hugely massive increase in variance, although it's hard to tell. But this is so fundamentally wrong that it overrides any of the (nominal) positives that the book might have. Like I said, everyday on a poker forum somewhere a poster will ask "How high in stakes do I have to start playing before I can get rid of the muppets?" (to paraphrase the most recent one on cc). Understanding that you make money when your opponents make mistakes is essential to understanding poker. You don't want to avoid the muppets.

All the info you provide is worthy of getting to the masses...
I am not opposed to this book. There are enough good ideas in it to read it. Alien obviously studied it a bit more than I did.

I have to disagree. In fact some of his main ideas will actually be detrimental to "the masses" (see above).

Q

quads

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once again Aliengenius, I believe you are taking the authors view out of context by saying,
“However, one of the main premises of the book is that poor play on line (combined with the other factors he mentions) makes the game unbeatable.”

This sounds like your personal and conservative point of view.

He clearly believes money could be made playing online poker, and explains what did work for him, and recommends that the reader try the same. His opinion as far as playing cash games online, when taking into consideration all the obstacles with endless assorted support programs, bots, and all different types of collusion taking place, and throw in the high percentage of bad players, you would have to agree that, even with a good fundamentally, sound, and experienced game, you would have a much tougher time winning money online vs. live when playing for cash. Not that every time you play a cash game these are the circumstances, but they are enough.

Yes, I agree with you that opponents’ mistakes are an advantage for the better players. And usually that’s how you make money playing poker. But when the mistakes being made online caused by either programs, collusion, or bad players, overrule the game, you find yourself sucked into a slot machine. You would have to admit that cash games are by far tougher online, then live play. At least for me there is no doubt, I do better live playing cash.

To really be profitable playing cash games online, to the point of some serious side or full time income, you need some very, very, deep pockets, a massive amount of patience, and a hell of a good game which in itself covers allot of ground. One of at least most internet players will be missing. And if you got it all then maybe you could get into that elite small percentage club of online cash player winners. And just for how long you stay there considering the club members are constantly changing you couldn’t be sure. I’m not talking about micro games either with swings of $40.00 a week. Money is a big issue for most players live or online. If playing online for some players is just fun and giggles, then so be it. There probably not even reading these forums.

And when you do play tournaments online, and if you’re lucky enough to get deep or a couple hours into one, the game improves drastically, and usually most (I said most) of the bad players gave their stacks away. The bigger stacks at this point usually create a much sounder game when compared to scrambling over the consistent same one, two, or four dollar grind playing cash.

So, I do agree with the author on many accounts, not all of course, and I’m capable of deciding what I think may be best for me. I might not be right, but I’ll find out one way or the other.

I felt the book was interesting, and could care less about the grammar. But then again I didn’t graduate from Harvard. I’ll take what I want if anything from it.

Last edited:
Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels

Charcoal Mellowed
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, I haven't finished the book yet as I now only read it during bathroom trips when there is time. And even then reading it is like plucking cactus needles out of my eyes.

His opinion as far as playing cash games online, when taking into consideration all the obstacles with endless assorted support programs, bots, and all different types of collusion taking place, and throw in the high percentage of bad players, you would have to agree that, even with a good fundamentally, sound, and experienced game, you would have a much tougher time winning money online vs. live when playing for cash.

You would have to admit that cash games are by far tougher online, then live play.
Sorry, I would disagree with the statements that online play is tougher than live. I would agree that it is different, but not tougher, per se. There's a different strategy involved between playing one table live vs 2, 4, 6, or even more tables online.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Replies in bold.
Anyone else get a chance to read this book yet?

Once again Aliengenius, I believe you are taking the authors view out of context by saying,
“However, one of the main premises of the book is that poor play on line (combined with the other factors he mentions) makes the game unbeatable.”

This sounds like your personal and conservative point of view.

??huh?? That is the author's premise, not mine. In fact, he states it explicitly on page 87. I couldn't disagree more.

He clearly believes money could be made playing online poker, and explains what did work for him, and recommends that the reader try the same. His opinion as far as playing cash games online, when taking into consideration all the obstacles with endless assorted support programs, bots, and all different types of collusion taking place, and throw in the high percentage of bad players, you would have to agree that, even with a good fundamentally, sound, and experienced game, you would have a much tougher time winning money online vs. live when playing for cash. Not that every time you play a cash game these are the circumstances, but they are enough.

Simply not true. It is ridiculous to make statements like "Never play in a cash game", "Never play LIMIT", "Never multitable"....

Yes, I agree with you that opponents’ mistakes are an advantage for the better players. And usually that’s how you make money playing poker. But when the mistakes being made online caused by either programs, collusion, or bad players, overrule the game, you find yourself sucked into a slot machine. You would have to admit that cash games are by far tougher online, then live play. At least for me there is no doubt, I do better live playing cash.

Slot machine, are you serious?!? Gold mine is more like it.

To really be profitable playing cash games online, to the point of some serious side or full time income, you need some very, very, deep pockets, a massive amount of patience, and a hell of a good game which in itself covers allot of ground. One of at least most internet players will be missing. And if you got it all then maybe you could get into that elite small percentage club of online cash player winners. And just for how long you stay there considering the club members are constantly changing you couldn’t be sure. I’m not talking about micro games either with swings of $40.00 a week. Money is a big issue for most players live or online. If playing online for some players is just fun and giggles, then so be it. There probably not even reading these forums.

Again, I really am not going to get into a silly argument where one side claims it is next to impossible to make money in online cash games. It is just not true. Period.

And when you do play tournaments online, and if you’re lucky enough to get deep or a couple hours into one, the game improves drastically, and usually most (I said most) of the bad players gave their stacks away. The bigger stacks at this point usually create a much sounder game when compared to scrambling over the consistent same one, two, or four dollar grind playing cash.

I am getting very very tired of people claiming that having better players in their game/at their table makes it easier for them to win. WRONG. In fact, so wrong the opposite is true.

So, I do agree with the author on many accounts, not all of course, and I’m capable of deciding what I think may be best for me. I might not be right, but I’ll find out one way or the other.

Of course you are free to believe the earth is flat as well, but that doesn't make it so.

I felt the book was interesting, and could care less about the grammar. But then again I didn’t graduate from Harvard. I’ll take what I want if anything from it.

As I said, as terrible as punctuation, grammer, etc. was, that was not the damning element.

Q

quads

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I knew your hair was gonna stand up, LOL. Whatever, you got your opinion, and I got mine. What a forum is all about.

Last edited:
aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I new your hair was gonna stand up, LOL. Whatever, you got your opinion, and I got mine. What a forum is all about.

Yes. And I hope you are not taking any of the debate personally (or think that I am). Indeed, what a forum is all about :).

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have only managed to read a few pages of my copy so far, thanks to other commitments.

Haven`t yet seen enough to really form a view of the content, however my overwhelming first impression is of a book that is very hard work to read, on account of the poor standard of the writing.

On this evidence, I could well believe that Carl spent his youth playing poker, in preference to attending school.

S

sinkist

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As a professional poker player both live and online, I agree with aliengenius that the claim that "bad players make winning harder" is ridiculous.

In my mind that statement alone is enough to make me not buy, read, recommend, whatever, this book. If the author truly thinks that bad players make a game more difficult, then he himself is a bad player and certainly is not fit to write a book on poker.

Q

quads

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As a professional poker player both live and online, I agree with aliengenius that the claim that "bad players make winning harder" is ridiculous.

Once again a poster taking statements out of context. Every good poker player either online, or live, will recognize the bad player or players at a table and of course when they think the time is right will take the obvious advantage and bounce on this type of opponent. You certainly don't have to be a professional poker player like sinkist to realize that.

Why is it so hard for people to admit that while playing cash games online, that a overabundance of negatives come into play, which are not found while playing live. Just the speed of the game alone online, over a hundred hands per hour, lack of, if not non-existent tells other then how a player is betting for the most part, missing while we stare at a image on our screens. Opponents that will use any and everything they could get their computer to download that will give them support, to include endless stats on opponents past play, giving the user percentages of what your opponent will most likely do every step of the way, preflop, flop, turn, river. Having flawless mathematical stats to the decimal staring you in the face reminding you of your winning percentage. Bots being used against you like the vex-bot capable of taking and storing all this information available and suggesting to the user the best course of action to take, removing all human interaction. The ruthless and endless collusion taking place online. Now throw in the high percentage of bad players that come naturally with the millions of players playing online. I just might rather take my chances in a black-jack game.

I'm not saying that some of these tools can't be exploited, but if your gonna try and tell me that while playing a cash game online, compared to sitting at a table live is the same all the way around, I will debate you to my death.

Four Dogs

Four Dogs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AG, took me a while to get around to reading it, but fantastic review. I was so impressed that I rushed right out to Borders and didn't buy this obviously amaturish book. Thanks for saving me the 20 bucks. Now I think I'll hit the $10 tables at Full Tilt (5 of them) and double my buy-in in an hour.

jaymfc

jaymfc

R.I.P DJ & Buck
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
wow , i liked all that ,some heavy disscusions , first i wanted the book then i didnt,now i dont know but aliengenius sounds like he has a very good understanding of the game and i think i'll go with him . i go crazy with all the bad beats and outright crazy players ,but in the end i think ,well if we are gonna win money we need those dummys calling us , they cant suck out everytime. (i think ) . now alien you need to help teach some of us here on cc that are interested in your deeper understandind of the game. im hooked. also i've heard of poker tracker but dont know exactly what it does or why i should have it. my note keeping consists of one word " idiot " the rest say nothing, lol.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A new, experienced live table player showed up here the other day. He mentioned his disgust with the state of the online experience he had, lots of bad beats etc, and oddly, knowing he knew his game, my suggestion was this book.

As with any book about poker that I have read, we all will find areas to disagree with. If someone were to write a book where there would be no disagreement, it would become a manual for poker, and the game would die.

There are things in this book, that, well, no one else is saying about online poker, and in some cases, like the one I mentioned, it is the right reading material.

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
wow , i liked all that ,some heavy disscusions , first i wanted the book then i didnt,now i dont know but aliengenius sounds like he has a very good understanding of the game and i think i'll go with him . i go crazy with all the bad beats and outright crazy players ,but in the end i think ,well if we are gonna win money we need those dummys calling us , they cant suck out everytime. (i think ) . now alien you need to help teach some of us here on cc that are interested in your deeper understandind of the game. im hooked. also i've heard of poker tracker but dont know exactly what it does or why i should have it. my note keeping consists of one word " idiot " the rest say nothing, lol.

Here is pokertracker's site. Here is cardschat's guide to PT. There is another guide available here for $20. Also, it seems that a competing program is due out soon. You will also want to get one of the programs that overlays your opponents stats on to the table (either GameTime+ or PokerAce HU). These tracking programs are essential, in my opinion. Even if you only use them for bankroll tracking they are worth every penny. Knowing exactly how many hands your opponent sees the flop with, how likely his is to bet/raise postflop, and how often he calls down, etc. is so valuable that I think you are foolish to play without it.

A new, experienced live table player showed up here the other day. He mentioned his disgust with the state of the online experience he had, lots of bad beats etc, and oddly, knowing he knew his game, my suggestion was this book.

As with any book about poker that I have read, we all will find areas to disagree with. If someone were to write a book where there would be no disagreement, it would become a manual for poker, and the game would die.

There are things in this book, that, well, no one else is saying about online poker, and in some cases, like the one I mentioned, it is the right reading material.

Recommending this book borders on criminally stealing twenty bucks from someone...
Also, it is not true that if there is no disagreement about something in poker that the game would die.

S

sinkist

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Once again a poster taking statements out of context. Every good poker player either online, or live, will recognize the bad player or players at a table and of course when they think the time is right will take the obvious advantage and bounce on this type of opponent. You certainly don't have to be a professional poker player like sinkist to realize that.

Why is it so hard for people to admit that while playing cash games online, that a overabundance of negatives come into play, which are not found while playing live. Just the speed of the game alone online, over a hundred hands per hour, lack of, if not non-existent tells other then how a player is betting for the most part, missing while we stare at a image on our screens. Opponents that will use any and everything they could get their computer to download that will give them support, to include endless stats on opponents past play, giving the user percentages of what your opponent will most likely do every step of the way, preflop, flop, turn, river. Having flawless mathematical stats to the decimal staring you in the face reminding you of your winning percentage. Bots being used against you like the vex-bot capable of taking and storing all this information available and suggesting to the user the best course of action to take, removing all human interaction. The ruthless and endless collusion taking place online. Now throw in the high percentage of bad players that come naturally with the millions of players playing online. I just might rather take my chances in a black-jack game.

I'm not saying that some of these tools can't be exploited, but if your gonna try and tell me that while playing a cash game online, compared to sitting at a table live is the same all the way around, I will debate you to my death.
Including an abundance of bad players as a negative aspect of online poker is downright stupid. "Now throw in the high percentage of bad players" and that is what makes up for the bots, collusion, etc., which in my personal experience seems to be limited. Bots are a significant problem in limit hold'em, but not in no-limit where they would be much harder to program.

Q

quads

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Including an abundance of bad players as a negative aspect of online poker is downright stupid. "Now throw in the high percentage of bad players" and that is what makes up for the bots, collusion, etc., which in my personal experience seems to be limited. Bots are a significant problem in limit hold'em, but not in no-limit where they would be much harder to program.

Yes, I agree that having a bad player or players at your table is always an advantage. There will always be a percentage of players that are not and may never be a good poker player. When you go to your club or casino, that same percentage will most likely exist. But online the doors are opened to millions of players 24/7. Of course there will be a great deal higher percentage of bad players at the online tables. Having a better game is the obvious goal to defeat your lesser opponents. But, as a talented player you will find online your hands getting cracked by suck outs, which equate to bad beats, at a much higher percentage making success much harder to achieve, as a direct result of this fact. It is great when you beat them, but with that ratio, we are in turn beaten much more.

Of course in the long run we should be able to overcome this obstacle, but you need deeper pockets and allot more time to do this. Many players don't have the deep pockets to fight this obstacle consistently.

You better be able to reach into your pocket again after a idiot that took all your money needing 4 clubs on the table to spike the flush with the 2c in his hand. Or someone else is going to get his and your money.

Now I'm not saying this doesn't happen live or anywhere else. But online the ratio of getting cracked is massively higher. And may I add this is only one of the lesser obstacles your facing when playing cash games online. Read my statement above.

But this is a obstacle playing online, that for some reason no one wants to admit. Beating lesser talented players of course is every poker players goal, which is allot easier then counting on the cards.

This ratio online is the reason so many players start threads about the sites being rigged.

Last edited: