what is the ideal initial investment to play poker online?

N

natanpoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
for someone who wants to put up an initial investment in a poker site... What would be the ideal amount?

G

Great Big Pair

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends entirely on the stakes you want to play and what the first deposit bonus of your chosen poker room is. Most poker sites give you a bonus that you can unlock as you play. The amount of the bonus often depends on the amount of the deposit.

If you are playing lower limits however, you're probably unlikely to unlock a huge bonus, so best to be reasonable and deposit according to the stakes you are going to play.

I think an initial deposit of 30-50 buy-ins for cash games or 50-100 buy-ins for tournaments is reasonable.

N

natanpoker

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I understand my friend, thank you for your answer.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first deposit in the poker room, I think, should be calculated based not only on the first deposit bonuses, but also on the required amount for the limit you play, which is at least 100 buyins, but more is better.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It depends. A major rule is to never put more than you can afford to lose.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the limits on which you want to play, if you start from the very bottom to play with 2 cents blinds, then $ 200 is enough, you can also $ 150.
Multiply the size of the bitcoin of your game limits by 100 and get the amount necessary for a comfortable game.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is not something standard...you have to take into consideration a lot of factors like your experience ..and to have around 100 buy ins

M

mrc1988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
for someone who wants to put up an initial investment in a poker site... What would be the ideal amount?

100% depends on how much money you have and what you can afford to lose. $100 bankroll might be INSANE for one person and literally toilet paper to another.

I abide by the 100 times the buyin for cash games. If your bank roll is not that size I wouldn't even bother.

Remember to be safe you can always play for free and build up from there. There is plenty of sites that have good freeroll programs.

GeckoAA

GeckoAA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it really all depends on you. How much money can you afford to lose? How much poker have you played? What size stakes do you intend on playing? These might be just a few of many questions you could ask yourself to help figure out what will work best for you.

For myself, I put in $50 at each site I joined or on certain sites they may have had a required minimum amount in order to get their welcome bonus, so I would deposit that amount. Then I would just play the freerolls or micro stakes and build my bankroll. I still only play freerolls or micro stakes but my bankroll has built and also took my initial $50 out, so every bit of money I have in each of my accounts is actual poker earned money. That worked well for me, but I’m just a recreational player atm who plays pretty much every day.

Last edited:
C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends of what game are you planning to play. I usually only play tournaments, so, I try to always have at least 100x the buy in.

fedkov

fedkov

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I think $ 50-100 is quite a good amount to invest in the game

S

StressMit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just deposit $$ that a very nice Diner out for 2 would cost.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There's no such thing as an 'ideal' amount for someone's first deposit, it doesn't exist as it's completely subjective.

I'd like to reference Ivey's often-misunderstood quote:- 'If you can't take $100 from your wallet right now and burn it, you shouldn't be playing poker'...

My advice to any new players, especially inexperienced ones, would be to build their bankroll from freerolls.

This will allow them to gain experience without needing to outlay money and simultaneously get somewhat of a 'feel' for how the game plays online.

As for more experienced players, their buy in should probably be based on how much they can comfortably afford to put aside in bankroll, the stakes they intend to play and any deposit bonuses available.

Anyone interested in this subject should research 'BRM'- bankroll management.

R

Redman1902

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Microstakes I`d say 20-30 Buy-Ins... And with decreasing edge you should increase your BIs a lot.