Tips for Notes and Analysis

kirkham69er

kirkham69er

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has anyone got an easy note writing format they are happy to share?

Also what is the best way to analyse your hands and has anyone got any tips with the most efficient and productive way to do this?

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's not much chance of having to play against this player again. This can only be useful for cardschat freerolls here I often play with the same players. But no one plays the same game. I think this idea is useless.

TPA

TPA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I write myself notes on phone while playing, which later revisit.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion, player notes are not very effective. It is better to analyze your game and the game of opponents using holdem manager 2 or 3, hand2note, poker tracker 4, icmizer 3.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
There's not much chance of having to play against this player again. This can only be useful for cardschat freerolls here I often play with the same players. But no one plays the same game. I think this idea is useless.

Are you serious?
I see the same players all the time. Having good notes is fantastic!

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Are you serious?
I see the same players all the time. Having good notes is fantastic!

There are a lot of players at Poker Stars. So you play a lot. I rarely meet the same players. Only in the cardschat freeroll I sometimes play with the same players.

CDNMAN 42

CDNMAN 42

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
NOTES

Sorry but I have to disagree, Notes that I have taken regularly provide insight into decision making, I play 888, pokerstars, ACR and GG Poker daily and in MTTs and freerolls meet the same players over and over and the use of notes is a head start on the types of player you are facing and their particular traits..ie. C Betting, Over Betting, Shoving, Aggressiveness and Passivity. all useful..:):):)

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Four colors four types of players

Also what is the best way to analyse your hands and has anyone got any tips with the most efficient and productive way to do this?

Hope it helps a bit. I got four color class catogories. Color dont matter just assign one to each type of player. Tight/aggressive, Tight/passive, Loose/aggressive, Loose/passive.
tight aggro being the standard type and tight passive are calling staitons. The other two are your maniacs and gamblers. Rarely you find the pro player who is all of them but at the right time.
Analyzing hands Break down from Preflop to flop to turn to river. Ask your self the main five questions. Did i play well in the moment? Was i fully aware of everything my opponents were doing? Was i in pos with the right hand? Was i in control? What could i have done better? its what i do and it helps me/

kirkham69er

kirkham69er

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for this!

I really need to work on my patience and i feel taking into consideration these points will definitely help.

Have you any books you suggest to read at all that go through examples maybe with a workbook too?

Hope it helps a bit. I got four color class catogories. Color dont matter just assign one to each type of player. Tight/aggressive, Tight/passive, Loose/aggressive, Loose/passive.
tight aggro being the standard type and tight passive are calling staitons. The other two are your maniacs and gamblers. Rarely you find the pro player who is all of them but at the right time.
Analyzing hands Break down from Preflop to flop to turn to river. Ask your self the main five questions. Did i play well in the moment? Was i fully aware of everything my opponents were doing? Was i in pos with the right hand? Was i in control? What could i have done better? its what i do and it helps me/

KozakAlex

KozakAlex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry but I have to disagree, Notes that I have taken regularly provide insight into decision making, I play 888, PokerStars, ACR and GG Poker daily and in MTTs and Freerolls meet the same players over and over and the use of notes is a head start on the types of player you are facing and their particular traits..ie. C Betting, Over Betting, Shoving, Aggressiveness and Passivity. all useful..:):):)

I always play in different ways. Sometimes I bluff a lot, if my opponents allow it. Sometimes I even reset A 10 or a couple of 10 10, if the whole day is not lucky? Therefore, it is useless to make a note about me. But this is your business, if it helps, then it is very good for you.

E

eagleaces

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Books i like

Thanks for this!

I really need to work on my patience and i feel taking into consideration these points will definitely help.

Have you any books you suggest to read at all that go through examples maybe with a workbook too?

I like Mike Caros poker book of tells. thats a really must read for live and somethings move over to internet.
Super system obviously by doyle.
theres one more i recommend but i cant rememebr the title when i rememebr ill let you know. In my opinion these three have everything you need to know. Every other book just repeats these points. The last book has to do with statistics of poker an you learn how to analyze your hand on the spot.

kirkham69er

kirkham69er

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Perfect! I will check them out and buy them when i have the funds!

Only just managed to land myself a new job, so just need to take a bit of time to build myself up before i invest :)

Thanks again for the advice mate, much appreciated!

I like Mike Caros poker book of tells. thats a really must read for live and somethings move over to internet.
Super system obviously by doyle.
theres one more i recommend but i cant rememebr the title when i rememebr ill let you know. In my opinion these three have everything you need to know. Every other book just repeats these points. The last book has to do with statistics of poker an you learn how to analyze your hand on the spot.

Markjduk

Markjduk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Really? I play against the same players on PokerStars SNG, i have well over 10,000 hands with some players.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thanks for this!

If you prefer trny's and sng's then there's a must read (imo), it's called "Every Hand Revealed" by Gus Hansen. It's his notes and recollection from his Aussie Millions win back '06, if I'm not mistaken. It's really an awesome read and it helped me w/my trny/sng play tremendously. I can't recommend it enough. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

kirkham69er

kirkham69er

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for this mate, i was actually looking at his book aswell and just wasnt too sure, but i think ill add it to the collection! So much appreciated

If you prefer trny's and sng's then there's a must read (imo), it's called "Every Hand Revealed" by Gus Hansen. It's his notes and recollection from his Aussie Millions win back '06, if I'm not mistaken. It's really an awesome read and it helped me w/my trny/sng play tremendously. I can't recommend it enough. Do yourself a favor and check it out.

Markjduk

Markjduk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
+ 1 on Every Hand Revealed, a really good read.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips

Thanks for this mate, i was actually looking at his book aswell and just wasnt too sure, but i think ill add it to the collection! So much appreciated

Personally I thought that book wasn't very good... even when it first came out. For today's game it'd be a total waste of money!

E

el79

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I only put in the first line the tournament in which I am crossing with the player that I tagged and then below I make suggestions or write a specific hand ... but the constant is always at the beginning to which tournament it belongs

kirkham69er

kirkham69er

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yesh i see where you are coming from, however it was still a nice insight into a players style and also helped me with the process of thinking that i need to take into consideration each time i have a session... :) each to their own i guess.

what would you personally recommend?

Personally I thought that book wasn't very good... even when it first came out. For today's game it'd be a total waste of money!

Kompany

Kompany

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have no suggestions regarding note-taking format, I guess whatever works for you, use it. I think that making notes is probably good practice especially in the long term. I'm amazed at how often I see the same names even in tournies with huge fields (mostly freerolls).

S

skulij

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I play at Playnow for a couple years now, same tourneys a lot of the same players. When I make final table I put an ITM note in all the other players note box. Over time it gives great info. There is one player with 6 ITMs, a couple with 4 and many with 3. These are among the better players on the site and I play them carefully. Also when I see a name often at the table and they have zero ITMs I go after them more. May not be as effective on sites with more players (the Playnow tourneys I play ae $5/$10/$20 buyins with 100 players or less)

Poker Tips