ROI???

B

Bank__Open

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ROI Why are people so concerned with this? I have said to some of my firends that play online poker, that I have been doing really well. They went to a website to lookup my ROI and told me that Iam not doing well at all. A coulpe things I don't get

1. ROI on this website are only for SnG's which I know I have not done all that well on.

2. I have not spent a dime on poker and I have have over $100 speard across several sites, which I gained from freerolls and private tourneys

3. How can ROI tell people that I am not a good online player. When I have a decent BR that cost me Zero investment accept my time

If anyone could fill me in on what I am missing that would be great

wsorbust

wsorbust

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You know what ROI stands for right? I'm not sure if the site calculates based on what you deposited or bought in for with "free" money or what. I'm sure someone can answer that, but I think you answered your own question with #1. up there. Your friends don't like it that you are good and actually make money from nothing? Just a guess.
If not, I suppose it could be just their opinion when looking at the numbers, since the amount of time you spent building your BR to "over $100" probably took too much time spent, too many SNG's, rings, etc?

D

DeadMoneyDad

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You know what ROI stands for right? I'm not sure if the site calculates based on what you deposited or bought in for with "free" money or what. I'm sure someone can answer that, but I think you answered your own question with #1. up there. Your friends don't like it that you are good and actually make money from nothing? Just a guess.
If not, I suppose it could be just their opinion when looking at the numbers, since the amount of time you spent building your BR to "over $100" probably took too much time spent, too many SNG's, rings, etc?

The various websites that publish ROI's do only take in to their calculations MTT and STT play. The calculations do not take into consideration how you build your bankroll as they only track buy-in's vs return. So money won on a freeroll doesn't boost nor deminish your ROI.

ROI is simply a way to calculate your return, and give some idea of an expected return on future play.

For most newer player or those with a short track record the ROI can give very misleading impressions. Even established accounts suffer from the players learning curve and do not accurately "predict" his or her ROI.

The better databases where you don't get just a single number, but can evaluate the players play at mutiple buy-in points are of course more useful. This is because players typically move up in buy-ins and their current play is often, but not always, easier to evaluate.

Hope this helps,

D$D

B

Bank__Open

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
D$D That was very helpful. I do not play many SNG mostly tourneys so that would be why my ROI is low. Thank you for you help

reglardave

reglardave

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Each different site reckons by their own sustem to arrive ar these figures. sharkscope onlu tracks SnG stats; Poker DB only MTTs, although there is some crossover there cause they include 180 seat SnFs in their tracking.. OPR is more all inclusive, but they don't track private events, leagues, eg CC events, have no place in their calculations. Bottom line, any of these figurers from any of these sites are skewed to some extent, aand only you can truly interpret your own with any real accuracy.

bob_tiger

bob_tiger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
DD and Dave pretty much answered everything. well first off just so you know ROI stand for Return of investment and like DD and dave said these sites only track stats for the regular games. they do not track freerolls, private free rolls or private buy in tourneys. your friends probably looked up your roi on sharkscope im guessing because thats the site that tracks all of the sit n gos. (45 man and lower) But to be honest i really don't care what my roi is because I know I can play and I know i can win. I have a great roi in tourneys but my roi in sit n gos is not 2 good ( thanks to drinking and playing) lol. Some of you have a problem with drinking and driving but its drinking and playing for me haha. Anyways just screw the roi thing and just play your game. ( who cares long as your winning) If they tracked the private buy in tourneys i would have some great stats in sit n gos because i have played many of them with my friends and kicked their ass lol.