“Pros and cons of online poker: How to find a balance?”

Z

zeroskulk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
UY
Chips
In this discussion thread, we'll talk about the advantages and disadvantages of online poker. The advantages include the convenience and availability of useful tools, while the disadvantages include the lack of personal interaction and the risk of distractions. At the end of the day, it's important to find a balance between the advantages and disadvantages of online poker and playing responsibly.

S

SadonnaPrice

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
PH
Chips
One advantage of online poker sites is that you can play from anywhere with internet access, making it convenient and accessible.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
One of advantages (which can at same time also be a disadvantage) is that you're basically playing behind the mask. You can rage, you can jump with joy, swear, scream behind your screen and the only thing your opponents are seeing is your actual play.
At same time if you are really good at reading face expressions and how people react, you're missing out in online poker, making such environment an actual disadvantage for one of your great skills.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
There are pros and cons in both cases, but I prefer live poker no matter how convenient it is to play live poker at home, you will get the most emotions and excitement so there will always be a choice between these two options at a live tournament and online tournaments will not replace them

Z

zeroskulk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
UY
Chips
In addition to the advantages and disadvantages mentioned above, it's important to note that online poker can also be faster and less intimidating than live play. With less social pressure, players can feel more comfortable trying new strategies and techniques, which can lead to a more innovative and spectacular game.

However, it's also important to recognize that online gaming can be more solitary and less social than live gaming. The lack of personal interaction can make it difficult for opponents to read and can lead to a less satisfying gaming experience.

Another potential disadvantage of online poker is the greater risk of distractions. With so many other options available online, it can be easy for players to get distracted from the game itself. Therefore, it's important to set limits and maintain focus while playing online.

Ultimately, online poker can be a fun and convenient way to play poker, but it's important to recognize the advantages and disadvantages and take steps to minimize potential risks. By playing responsibly and with a solid strategy, players can enjoy the thrill and challenge of online poker while having fun in a safe and responsible way.

Another important factor to consider in online poker is the risk of fraud and scams. It's crucial to ensure that you're playing on a safe and reliable platform to avoid any kind of problem. Have you had any negative experiences with online poker in terms of security? What steps has he taken to protect you?

Ultimately, online poker can be a valuable tool for improving your game and increasing your winnings. However, it's important to remember that responsible gaming is key to enjoying online poker in the long term. What are your strategies for maintaining a healthy mentality and managing your bankroll in online poker?

Share your thoughts and experiences about online poker in this discussion thread. Together we can learn and grow as online poker players.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The main disadvantage for me as a MTT player (preferably the regular speed) is the time consuming.
I mean, I am super skeptical to register to a MTT in case I make a deep run. I do those sessions only if I don't have to wake up for work early the next morning.
So if I play mid week or something like that I mostly play some turbos , hypers and SNGs.

airxlns

airxlns

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Never played live poker, except a few friendly games with friends, but that doesn't count. So, I'll just share my opinion about online poker. The main advantage is to be able to join from everywhere as long as you have internet access. This advantage, however, can turn into a big disadvantage if your connection goes down... It happened to me a few times while playing sit'n'go games ... By the time the connection was restored, I was out of the game or with very little chips left to be able to recover.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I prefer to play live poker over online. The problem is I cant afford to play live poker so much and the time constraints around that. Live poker I can easily afford and play when I want to and almost any time I have a free moment.

ramorleans

ramorleans

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's really convenient for me to play online poker as I have two full-time jobs while working from home. But playing live is really different. I remember the first time I stepped into the poker club here in Manila. I feel like I'm in another dimension, and you can hear the chips that they keep shuffling on the table. It was amazing and unforgettable since my friend is just 20 and I'm 19, and we needed to go to some place where they counterfeit ID just to make sure we could enter the room without any trouble then we started playing the minimum stake for cash game and the rest is history.

For me, if you have a full time job then you should maximize playing online but if you have tremendous available time. Then playing live is really great as you feel all the thrill and emotions on your table. You will also have the capability to chat with your table to make friends and especially to get tells from their cards.

J

JCSmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's harder to table select online. Even in the cash games they fill up and get waiting lists and change so often. And you don't have the luxury of visibly spotting drunk players, or inexperienced ones.

You can make up for that though by not only getting in more hands because the cards are dealt more quickly and there is timer, but also because you can play multiple tables at a time. So while your win rate will likely be smaller, you can grind faster to make up for it.

R

redmast

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love playing poker online. I find online gaming very convenient. Although I've never played live poker, the disadvantages of online poker don't stop me from playing.

muzenza2012

muzenza2012

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the pros of online tournaments are how easy it is to play from anywhere, all you need is internet and a reasonable cell phone, the cons are the crazy people who only know how to go all in, and the huge number of participants.

PockerGod

PockerGod

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
The biggest pro to online poker is the use of software. It adds a skill gap between players who do their research to understand frequencies and players who do not put in the time to understand them. The edge in online poker is definitely smaller but with the ability to multitable, you are able to play a significantly more hands, thus improving much faster.

S

SadonnaPrice

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
PH
Chips
Playing online poker has pros and cons. On the one hand, it can be a fun way to make money, meet new people, and learn about different cultures. On the other hand, it can consume a lot of time, disrupt sleep patterns and productivity, be unhealthy, and make you antisocial if you play online excessively.

Z

zeroskulk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
UY
Chips
Here are some tips for playing online poker effectively and responsibly:

1. Set a budget: Before you start playing, decide how much money you're willing to spend on online poker and make sure you don't exceed that budget.
  2. Play on reliable sites: Make sure you play on reliable and secure online poker sites to avoid fraud or theft of information.
  3. Use help tools: While help tools can be useful, use them with caution and don't rely on them completely. It's important that you trust your own judgment and abilities.
  4. Don't play too many tables at once: Playing at multiple tables can be exciting and can improve your skill, but don't play more tables than you can handle. If you're feeling overwhelmed, play at fewer tables.
  5. Take breaks: It's important to take regular breaks to avoid fatigue and loss of concentration. Don't play for long hours without taking a break.
  6. Play Responsibly: Remember that online poker is a form of entertainment and you should never play with money you can't afford to lose. Also, if you feel that gambling is negatively affecting your life, seek help and consider stopping playing for a while.

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love the convenience of online poker and the ability to multi table. Very hard to do live :) I try and make online a little more like live by listening to a poker streamer talking poker. It adds some atmosphere to the proceedings. :)

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Pros: convenience and anonymity.
Cons: vulnerable to lack of power, security breaches, hackers, and collusion. Oh yeah, government agencies.

YuriSLopes

YuriSLopes

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mobility would be the most relevant factor in online poker.
No need to commute, flexibility in hours, easiness related to taking notes E.g.Trackers.

Disadvantage is the limited tells.
You're reduced to nothing but numbers to predict villain's play style.

Bnobob

Bnobob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
online poker you can make your own schedule you learn online with the best playing live I don't think there's a platform bringing together many players from all over the world and it's a facility a lot of money is moved at all times

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi :)
For me, playing poker online has obvious advantages. It is convenient and affordable. I play poker in the evenings after work and it would definitely be hard for me to find the time and desire to go to a poker club to play live.
Good luck.