Poker Name Regrets

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I wish poker sites let you change your name. Maybe not unlimited changes available but 1-3 times. There were names I have seen that I can’t imagine were thought out well. Especially names with vulgar language or drug referencing. Obv an 18-20 year old may haven’t thought out his name intelligently. Let’s imagine they actually win in the future and if say 10 years later they satellite to a big event and it’s announced that online player “goF*c#uRself420” just became wsop champ. This can’t be a good look for publicity or anything. I would doubt PokerStars would wanna endorse that player. I don’t have any names I would be embarrassed by but there might be a couple I would change. I know at the time of signing up, I may have been watching tv and used a funny comment or item from the show (or so I mistakenly thought) that may not make sense years later.

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Grosvenor poker lets you change you screen name. Not the best site though.

nghoffman

nghoffman

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
My first poker account was with party poker back in the day, and I didn't know that I should've made up a clever name, so I just used my real name.. Wish I could've changed it, but I can't play there anymore so it doesn't matter now anyway..

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
That may apply to poker stars, but certainly not to 888! They only have a total of less than 10,000 'players' LoL:dancing2:

ok and what about 'gtavares10 (PokerStars)'? Has it already existed 9 times? :captain:

Can't help but conclude you seem to think/care about this rather a lot.

The name in your second post looks like some kind of reference to GTA V, a highly popular video game franchise.

So yes, very possibly 9 other people enjoy this whatever-it-may-be..

OR...

ONE other person already had 'gtavares' and 'gtavares1' was ALSO taken but our friend here HATES the number 'two' :)mad:) so instead of 'gtavares2' he decided to go binary and jump straight from 1 to 10, skipping out 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9..?

Whilst one more popular place will of course have more competition for unique usernames, the smaller place is still nothing but an identical microcosm of the larger place.

You can compare 888 now, to PS when it had 10,000 (or whatever) players and the other way around. I'm sure you'd find similar 'phenomenon'.

It's just 'human traffic'.

Ultimately, your existential musing boils down to...

'There's nothing as queer as folk..'

If you aren't familiar with this expression it means- people are weird.

You might as well spend your time trying to establish why someone walking down the street chose that breed of dog or to wear red shoes today instead of black ones.. Without asking them!

If you are really as perplexed as you sound, I would recommend asking gtavares10 or someone similar directly.

You can't beat information 'from the horse's mouth' (this means first-hand report).

You will probably find that most of the time they were just in a hurry or their desired name (without numerical appendages) was taken.

For the other few billion people you can probably put down the note- 'idiosyncrasies'.

:idea: