Poker alias and avatar

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't put much stock in what avatar someone picks. Whether it's a site where there's an unlimited number of options or a limited amount, I don't try to read into their pick too much and try to psyche myself out with more than just their actual gameplay or prior knowledge built up playing against any players.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mine is from a Carrie (2013) poster. I just like how it looks.

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my avatar is my simple name, in fact it is the same as my account created at pokerstars in 2010, the only account I have and have kept ever since

K

kingofnaps

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I switch it up but always make sure it's something that makes me smile

MrAlabama

MrAlabama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
some put thought into it. others do not. i pay it no mind myself

NESTNEKAA

NESTNEKAA

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I prefer my own artwork, simple and clean :)

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you change your avatar and are you treated differently if you do?

I always play with the same avatar. She's the princess on ACR. Some players probably treat me differently when they see her versus a creature from the lagoon, or something vomiting green slime. They may not give her as much action as some other avatars. Do other players keep the same avatar or switch avatars? Do you find players treat you differently at the tables? I'd love to hear everyone's experiences with this.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally have picked one and haven't changed it since. I don't push much stock in the avatar I use on ACR as well as put much stock in what avatars others choose. I don't try to infer too much from what someone picks because it may influence the way I play, although I do understand why people may think that showing a certain avatar would make them think that someone is tighter/looser, etc.

linaxmama

linaxmama

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wanted mine to be a picture of me from a live tournament spiked holding the 2 cards with a giant stack, but I don't have kkkk yet

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I have used my favorite cartoon character Daffy Duck for long, but there seemed to be some copyright issues. Now I use the "biohazard" sign in Pokerstars. In BOL I use a beautiful Antonio Vargas poker related pin-up drawing.

S

ssj3gokudbz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These days when most of the players are using diferent huds and programs which collect data from players they are playing I think that changing avatars won't do any difference because they will still have data on you.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello! When I signed up for PokerStars, I chose an avatar with some kind of cartoony face, then I didn’t think that poker would take me over (it was a couple of years), then I wanted to change it, the technical support service told me that I had to make a request, but I He didn’t bother, for me it is not so important, and as for the avatars of other players, for me it helps to remember them and nothing more. Sincerely, Sergey.

O

Oli3579

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It can help, but I would never base a decision mainly on an avatar or alias

run187

run187

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
You're implying they use logic :) . Ace 3 one away from getting paid to 8 calls and they still call that's the logic you're dealing with online ..

izmoroc

izmoroc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thing the avatar is more important.
Cos name is maked in the beginning, some people start just for fun.
But for choosing userpic... you have more options, more time.

And yes, players with some "crasy \ stupid \ inadequate" avatars play the same way)))))

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a poker player (personality) depends on whether the avatar is similar to the alias. I think the opposite is more true for better players. But it’s also true that when you start playing poker you may not be paying attention to this. So I think it’s individuality dependent.

A

AllinTheGameY0

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my avatar is Omar from The Wire.

Andymac37

Andymac37

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remeber feeling really uncomfaretable opening suited connecters , JTs AT A9 basicly any hand i didnt want to call a jam with because sitting behind was a player called amagoallin lol.. messed with my.mind for a few orbits

S

Scroooob

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I know this might seem really stupid to many of you but I have a hunch I'm not totally wrong.
Do you guys make profiling about the players according to their avatars and aliases ?

Few examples: On Unibet I often see ninja-avatar guys always waiting for nuts and then go str8 all in with it.

My aliases "Whatisfold" and "LuckyLuck420" gets much more calls when I try to bluff compared to when I play with my alias that has girls name with it. ( I'm really a guy)

These gangstarapper avatar dudes tend to call everything with top pair.

Those are only few examples but theres also proplayer Durrrrrrrr who said he made his nickname to make other players irrotated (should work if he plays tight).

And last words. There are psychological studies proving that there is correlation between your own personality and nicknames and like suit that you choose for masquerades.

I'm really not saying these things should be the most important things to consider when playing poker xD Just that there might be some extra benefit if my theory has point.

That's so easy to exploit and fall victim to. So nope. But I used to have the sn "iamanidiot" in fulltilt

J

jorgetorres0

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you have a conspiracy theory hehe

m_v_a

m_v_a

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Basilio The Cat"

I have the same avatar as here, and the name 1945-05-09 seemed Patriotic to Me, and it comes out higher in the output because of the numbers at the beginning. Good luck to all!