P

Pascal Martin

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
HI,

in the today's online poker world how many buy-ins do you like to have for a any nl limite you play, between the recommended 30 and 100 ?

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That depends on, which game you are talking about, and the whole situation. Tournaments have more variance than cash games, and large field MTTs have much more variance than single table SnGs. It also depends on, what the purpose of the bankroll is? Are you for instance willing to move down, if you hit a rough path, or it is important for you to be able to stay at the limit, you have reached, without a significant risk of going broke?

If you are trying to grow a small bankroll, it often makes sense to be quite aggressive, since the worst, that can happen, is, that an attempt to move up fail, and you have to move back down again. But if you have already reached the level, where you want to be, and perhaps you make regular withdrawals, then moving down kind of sucks, so you should be more conservative with your bankroll.

It also matter, if you always play the same limit, or if you mix up limits. In the latter case your average buyin is more important than the highest buyin, at least if they are somewhat close to each other. Like if you play $2,2 - $5,5 games with an average of $3,5, then your variance will not be much larger than, if all your games were for $3,5.

Finally many people use the word "bankroll", but they play in a recreational way, where its more reasonable to talk about a budget. So it also matter, if you just want to be able to play until the next paycheck, or if this is really the money, you have set aside for poker, and if you lose it, you will need to stop playing.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Daniel Negreanu said that for super high rollers there is no difference between buy-ins of $50,000 and $100,000. What he meant was that anyone who could pay themselves or find backers for $50,000 could easily find $100,000.I think we need to reduce buy-ins in order to attract new players and retain current ones; if not, then the pro and rich players will remain. But this is how the industry will collapse... It’s not for nothing that pokerstars launched spins at $0.25.

CataRouillet

CataRouillet

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I am an mtt player but I think what they recommend for cash is around 100.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
the more money you have to play again at the same rates, the better, of course, everyone says that the bine must be 100 times so that you don't worry about losing when you lose with your AA pair against a weak pair, so you won't worry because this will happen because you need to have a win of 100 times

S

sidmartin7

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the more money you have to play again at the same rates, the better, of course, everyone says that the bine must be 100 times so that you don't worry about losing when you lose with your AA pair against a weak pair, so you won't worry because this will happen because you need to have a win of 100 times
if you are not patient and want to grind at least 50 nl, to do so would you say that this is crazy to use a credit line and pay the monthly fees with your winning to fund the missing money in your roll, @fundiver199 @Gallarado777

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Daniel Negreanu said that for super high rollers there is no difference between buy-ins of $50,000 and $100,000. What he meant was that anyone who could pay themselves or find backers for $50,000 could easily find $100,000.I think we need to reduce buy-ins in order to attract new players and retain current ones; if not, then the pro and rich players will remain. But this is how the industry will collapse... It’s not for nothing that PokerStars launched spins at $0.25.

I believe you've misinterpreted the original poster's question.
When they say 'number of buyins' they are meaning 'how many buy-ins' example: If they played $10 tournaments, how much would they need to keep in their bankroll (as a 'winning player' to give them a cushion to protect for variance). Many would suggest ~ 200 buyins ($2,000) would be the right amount.

But as Fundiver has mentioned, this only really applies to people who have 1 fixed bankroll for playing poker... not for a recreational player which most on this site actually are. But say the OP was considering playing 'professionally' (even at the micro stakes level) then it would be necessary to know 'How many buyins' would they need in their bankroll.

For Cash Games I'd suggest no less than 25 buyins.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
if you are not patient and want to grind at least 50 nl, to do so would you say that this is crazy to use a credit line and pay the monthly fees with your winning to fund the missing money in your roll, @fundiver199 @Gallarado777

It'd be much wiser to start off lower, build a roll and not need the Credit line... unless you're a proven winner at those stakes then I suppose 'why not?' You might be better off playing 50nl.

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
As I am a recreational gamer, I make an average of 3 buy-ins per day, in 1 dollar tournaments.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends what you mean by "a credit line". A poker bankroll is money, you can afford to lose, and that are not going to be needed for any purpose outside poker. But this does not mean, you cant have a poker bankroll and also have loans. It just need to be long term loans like a mortgage in your house or a credit card from a bank.

It cant be money, which you are expected to pay back shortly, because then the money is not actually available for poker, and you can not afford to lose it. And needless to say, should you lose the money, you need to be able and prepared to pay off the loan using money from outside poker like your paycheck. But really this is no different from buying a $1.500 phone or plane ticket with your credit card, which people do all the time.

Of course another subject is, if you are able to beat 50NL. If you think so and can deposit with a credit card, then sure go ahead. But if you have no track record at all, its generally better to start a bit lower and work your way up. Like maybe deposit $300 and then play 10NL. If you cant beat 10NL, you wont be able to beat 50NL either.

R.Holynskyi

R.Holynskyi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
HI,

in the today's online poker world how many buy-ins do you like to have for a any nl limite you play, between the recommended 30 and 100 ?
100, I would like to have at least 100 buy-ins in my bankroll. It would make me feel comfortable and safe. In my case, it is important for me to feel safe and comfortable because it has a positive effect on my mood, psychological state and, accordingly, productivity.

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
The bigger, the better. Knowing that you have a reserve, you can play more calmly.

iceheart888

iceheart888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I think it also depends on your level of play. for a regular, 30 buy-ins can be enough