Making a Living Playing Online Poker: What you need to know

Helloween

Helloween

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree that online poker is a very difficult discipline. It only seems easy at first glance. It seems that you sit at home and just win the money of their air. But you really should be resistant to stress, endurance, perseverance and be ready for both great victories and great defeats. This, unfortunately, can not be avoided. Therefore, for any newcomer, Cardschat is a priceless find! Not only in the form of freerolls, but also a community that is ready to enjoy your victories with you and also support you morally when you lost!

Vorem

Vorem

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online poker is psychologically one of the most difficult games. It is very difficult for me to accept that I did the right thing, but I still lost. Tilt is the biggest problem for me. My most dangerous enemy in poker. At the moment I am not ready to make poker the main source of income

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi, very good article on how to be a professional poker player, the truth is very hard to get to live poker, but it is possible and living doing what you like is good, too interested me the amount of buy-in to be have to play, so if support much of this article is that style that you like gambles and taking into account the money you manage to win, perseverance is very important. In my personal opinion I see you manage to win more money in Cash. If you have any thoughts on this I hope your answers. regards :pcguru:

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
For the first time, I can truthfully say that I already knew everything written in the challenge article. That is because this is the challenge article view after several refresh cycles.

All Blue

jingler

jingler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much, interesting tips on playing online poker.
I lack the discipline in poker. It's hard for me to spend many hours of tournaments, so I prefer cash games. But when I have a good bankroll, I start raising rates, and then I become weak, and I'm afraid to lose, my game changes.
In addition, I think my game often depends on the room in which I play.
"You'll have weeks where it seems like the poker site is rigged because so many two-outers crack your hand on the river." -- that's exactly what happens, I think so.

danoscar

danoscar

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing POker for a Living

I have tried many times to play cash games with little success. I do best in MTTs. As far as paying for a living, I after years of play, I still wish to have fun and not put my life on the line.... I admire those who do. I wish I could be that brazen. I am not. The article is good. Personalities vary, sometimes the game seems rigged, I have to learn to shrug off losses, it does take courage and self discipline, there are days that s**k, tilt can be a possible negative reaction, dealing with egos can make games crazy, and you need the proper bank roll, pc, skill and ba**s. Focus and time off are also essential elements. I strongly agree. Maybe one day, if I can find all these elements, I will give it a shot! I love this game. I hated my job.
It's a question you see often when you frequent online poker forums: what do I need to do to play poker professionally? The bottom line is, playing online poker isn't for everyone. You need to have the characteristics. Can you be brutally honest with yourself? Because the game will be. Are you going to be able to weather the down-swings, the long, boring stretches of card dead obscurity? The perseverance to keep grinding; the discipline to study and evaluate your game on a regular basis?

1d6ec8e5aad24b241627c1b1f861beac.png

We put together an extensive guide for the budding professional. Everyone thinking about going pro should read our tips: Make A Living Playing Online Poker - Play Poker For A Living

Do you have what it takes? Did we leave anything out? Let us know how your poker journey is going. Do you play professionally or semi-professionally? How to persevere?

chicopaw

chicopaw

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker for a living, I am going to try in the future,I have a good sense of peoples behavior , and as being older have been able to read people much better then when i was younger, I trully believe this is a plus if you want to succeed at live tables, Knowing how to play a poker face can be rewarded

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Do a hard refresh: ctrl+f5
Wow, thanks Tammy. I never knew!

Firstly, I really, really think that any article written in the first person should be credited. This is one of the first rules of "writing", and should be THE first rule of publishing, or posting as it were.

It's all sound advice. Bankroll management, perseverance, courage, and patience are all important factors. A realistic assessment of one's own abilities is a primary consideration. If you think you are losing because online poker is rigged - why on earth would you try to make a living at it? I have rather inadvertently subscribed to the "Mega Rigged" thread today. Reading so many people's assessments of online poker tells me that (obviously) these people should never attempt to play online for a living.

Spaceman

Spaceman

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Something is wrong with the link, I too had hit the refresh button like 10 times and nothing changed, I even tried to see the page from google temporarily saved pages but with no luck.

Pretty sure though that my answer wouldnt change when I read the article. Like, everyone can run, but not everyone can be a proffesional athlete that lives from running. Its the same with poker. Matter of fact, is the same with anything from amateur to professional related. You need hard work and talent to stand out of the crowd.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
First of all, that was a great article! You guys didn't leave anything out!
I am amateur poker player, not even semi-professionally and leaving a job to become pro it's not in my dreams! :) BUT, if I won some ticket for big poker event I would definitely try my skills and luck!

ironduke11

ironduke11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
probably not something you can do at micro stakes
probably if poker pros were honest and not looking to build a myth around themselves they would tell you they got lucky to be where they are and they play the games that make the life worthwhile
ie live big stakes tourneys that the fields are smaller and the play of opponents less random and unpredictable.

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent article, sorry I didn't read it 6-7 years ago)) I Especially liked about the discipline and about the struggle with his ego, to my great regret I have problems with discipline and that I'm a player fan. I would like to add to the article the mathematical side of poker, because the person who is hard given mathematics in poker will be very hard to think this is an important aspect for beginners.

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Very nice summary. Let's also remember that poker is a game of ego and superego. He can very much humiliate and destroy personality. Lack of sukces for a long time can lead to hidden depression. The most important of the features of a real poker player is for me, modesty, discipline, pure thinking, taking care of myself and my family and lowliness.

Poker can't neglect, then it becomes a gamble. Even the winning player if he only thinks about poker and neglects the family, for me he a gambler for me! The way of thinking and then the mathematics and what is important logical thinking and adjusting your games and aggression to the level of what other players allow us.

However, the most difficult thing in poker is LOWLINESS! Poker can refine, but if we become selfish and self-centered poker can destroy even steel individuals! Poker is like an oracle, but it does not show what kind of person you can be. Poker shows what kind of person you are! If by playing poker you can take care of others and you do not just think about yourself, then you will get a pass to be a professional player! Only now count the money! :)

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you can be very good at playing online poker but you have to have an economic support to support you, to play poker professionally you need to earn other income so that your economy does not depend on poker, because those who play by necessity are forced to lose, your economy and your family can not depend only on poker, well even there are players who earn millions and can do it

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I like poker, it is an exciting game, it is like a kind of battle. This thread gives the real picture of the game. It needs wise actions and the game generally needs to find the right mesure. It needs a simple knowledge of maths sequence and generally maths. One of the most important is to enjoy the game and having good time with it!

DeN4iK310882

DeN4iK310882

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Many thanks to the author for this article. Everything is clear and accessible. I, of course, have no purpose to become a professional poker player, but I want to spend my time playing poker with pleasure. Therefore, I would like to win as often as possible. Recently I have been getting more and more useful information about poker at CardsChath.
So there is no need to worry and fear! In general, I am ready for defeats in poker and am ready to take them calmly. I hope my victories will be no less than defeats. I wish you all good luck and good health!

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I think, it is a very interesting article. Also some of the comments in this thread are interesting. Good discussion!

In my opinion, poker is like any business, where you are self-employed or work from your home. You will need to have the discipline and sit down untill the things are done. And you should do them greatly and almost perfectly.

And like a good businessman you won't keep all your eggs in one pot. You will need to start to spread your money also to other things like real estate, stocks etc.

You will also have to plan to study, improve your game and take some coachings.
Furthermore, you will have to look for yourself for health insurance, retirement payings other insurances and so on. Like every business owner.

There was also one comment about the fear to be bored after a while. And yes, I could imagine this as well, when you have to do this 48 hours per week. But I guess, you will have this feeling in many jobs, even when you are on a creative one, it can happen to you this feeling.
I am not sure, if I would do it completely professionally, but maybe part time, it would be ok.

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
This is a great guide for anyone aspiring to earn a living from poker. It takesmoney to earn money - which a lot of people think they can just win mega amounts and they are on their way... not as easy as what some of the pros show.
It definitely confirms that I would never make it out there. I am so glad I just play for entertainment and the fellowship .
I wish anyone well and luck if they decide to play poker as a full time career.

GordyPoker

GordyPoker

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sooo hard to do poker just solely unless you bunk a major

I have a job where I’m off in three or four days spells and I play full time then - it’s a good balance between work and play for me

bablovod

bablovod

stupid parody of the game
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
very useful article. but despite all the tips and even the opportunity to use them in practice, I would not risk to quit my job and devote myself to earning poker. I know that it will be very difficult for me to win a big tournament due to lack of self-discipline, I just lose control after a few hours. I begin to make very stupid mistakes, for which then I always scold myself, but I can not do anything about it. can when in the distant future...

Rijckenborg

Rijckenborg

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I play online poker recreational and I don't plan to go pro.
Since I started to play, I won far more cash than I had deposited.
With more self-discipline I will be able to win more cash more often.
With poker winnings I can things than was not planned in my budget.
I'm happy with that.

veritasi

veritasi

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very interesting and informative article, i didn't noticed many things that are told here, i think it is a good help-article for new players and for those who want to play more seriously. Thanks for nice guide, as always!))

Alexander Rubcov

Alexander Rubcov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that this is not only a great reality check bc let's face it, many of us in heart rhythm like to go for a professional online, but you will not win all the time, and yes you will have bad days. I think in addition to everything that has been said, I also think that if you're going to play in cash, for example, well, what your budget is for each day?So, let's say, 600 per week, so you can play for cash .50 to $ 1 blinds can be set a goal of 150 to 175 now, if you can do that is 4 times a week, and then budget your tournaments I say perfect for u is easy, though, when that time does not go well for you, no matter what you do, we've all been there. I think this is the place where you have to take a break. You come back smarter when UR can make or break not only because of the loss, but also perseverance.
I completely agree. In real life you need to work and earn a living not only by playing. In Poker, it’s not real to live forever. Downstrik develops, Dependence on a game. The ideal option is when you control your expenses in poker. And the game brings pleasure and emotion.

D

d3str0y3r

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its all about the maths in the background... And a bit of luck... I mean if youre UTG1 and have 74 you don't go all-in don't you? For me it's just so fun playing this game...