live 2/5 versus 100nl online

G

grari

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been grinding 100nl for the better part of the past year. I try to play 6 tables at a time when I could, and I have a pretty solid winrate for online poker. I haven't figured it exactly, but I average around $1000 a week (including rake back and loyalty stuff). Now that I'm getting vaccinated I want to go back to live poker and play 2/5. I just want some reassurance that I'm making the right decision and that I could make a lot more playing 2/5 live than what I'm doing now. 200nl online is too difficult and I've found that I make more money playing 100 than 200. I'm also not bankrolled for 5/10 yet.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I've been grinding 100nl for the better part of the past year. I try to play 6 tables at a time when I could, and I have a pretty solid winrate for online poker. I haven't figured it exactly, but I average around $1000 a week (including rake back and loyalty stuff). Now that I'm getting vaccinated I want to go back to live poker and play 2/5. I just want some reassurance that I'm making the right decision and that I could make a lot more playing 2/5 live than what I'm doing now. 200nl online is too difficult and I've found that I make more money playing 100 than 200. I'm also not bankrolled for 5/10 yet.

Thank you for posting.

You would have to have access to some very deep stack weak player live games that run multi-tables most of the week in order for live 2-5 to be the better choice. Do not forget to adjust your game back to exploitable strat not GTO.

If you do play live you want to be scoping out the 5-10 game everyday u r there and several times during the day to jump into the game when it has the right lineup. As you are shot taking good lineups only you do not need a full bankroll.

If you are playing live a great way to turbo your bankroll is to help two whales start a bigger game. It is again shot taking and you need to have extra cash with you to do it but they may splash 10K your way before the rest of the sharks have the courage to get in the game. Several live pros in Los Angeles would sit around the cardroom for hours -some times days waiting for this very opportunity.

Hope this helps
:):)

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Congrats on beating 100nl online! Here are my thoughts on your question:

Suppose you average playing live for 40 hours/week and hit 25 hands/hour. That's 1000 hands every week. So you would need to average more than $1/hand or 20bb/100 to increase profit compared to online play.

Live winrates can be significantly higher than online ones. And there's no question that online 100nl is a tougher game than live 2-5. But if your goal is just to maximize dollars/hour, then particularly once you factor in commute time for the live play, it might be difficult to achieve such a high winrate in live play.

G

grari

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Congrats on beating 100nl online! Here are my thoughts on your question:

Suppose you average playing live for 40 hours/week and hit 25 hands/hour. That's 1000 hands every week. So you would need to average more than $1/hand or 20bb/100 to increase profit compared to online play.

Live winrates can be significantly higher than online ones. And there's no question that online 100nl is a tougher game than live 2-5. But if your goal is just to maximize dollars/hour, then particularly once you factor in commute time for the live play, it might be difficult to achieve such a high winrate in live play.

I appreciate the feedback. I will be playing closer to 70 hours a week, and also all the poker rooms are 7 handed now, so hopefully it will be closer to 35 hands an hour. I still think you're right that I won't be beating my online rate by much, but my goal is to take shots at 5/10 once I feel comfortably bankrolled to do that. It kind of stinks that a game 5 times as big as the one I'm playing now and which is so much easier, is still barely going to give me more profit because of lower volume. But I think 20bb/100 is doable.

Organize a Home Poker Game