How to use notes, useful

bhuelse

bhuelse

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hiho,

on pokerstars (on other romms similar) you have the option to make notes to your opponents. My problem is, that I dont know what should I write there, whats in the end is useful.
Mostly I want to write to much, or just how he plays a specific hand. But not sure how useful it is in the end.
How are you using the notes? Do you have a "system", or just wrote thigs like "fish", "trapped", and so on?

best regards

eurosTotnd

eurosTotnd

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i use notes specially to write remarks about players tendencies , for example if a player try to steal blinds when SB VS BB or when he play more hands on the button , i only take positional notes it can be helpful

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What hands they play from what positions when it deviates from optimal.
sizings and bet timing when they have it and when they dont.
bluff tenancies
fancy play tenancies

Transcendence

Transcendence

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do nothing at all, I play as it is. Yes quite, I remember myself.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also thought about notes when I started playing in the room. But assigning a certain type of player, you will put yourself in a dead end when he plays the hand differently.

G

gwj63

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
my most used note is.....
stupid or idiot
define those players, there's your double up

ayahuasca

ayahuasca

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Notes like "bluffff", "crazy moves", "all-inner", "steals blinds" etc. may help not to lose much money when you play CC freerolls and people are mostly the same.

Ranish625

Ranish625

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hiho,

on Pokerstars (on other romms similar) you have the option to make notes to your opponents. My problem is, that I dont know what should I write there, whats in the end is useful.
Mostly I want to write to much, or just how he plays a specific hand. But not sure how useful it is in the end.
How are you using the notes? Do you have a "system", or just wrote thigs like "fish", "trapped", and so on?

best regards

I used to make notes about other players, but then I came to the conclusion that this is a useless exercise, in tournaments played by thousands of players, and very rarely get to meet with the players about whom you made notes

D

dompoker

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have to tag the other players to play differently against them, for example, against a fish, you have to find playing several hands against, because chances are you regale your chips.
Against a player who pays for everything, you have to play against the worth and pushear hands like AA because you pay.

P

Pwohar43

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Notes can b very useful, I use them? Just ask yourself, if u kno anything about a player, isn’t that better then not knowing anything? It’s a self answered question, the answer is obvious.
Online all u can see is what they do,

H

Heresthecooler

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When a person slow plays a set on the flop, take note. This could be useful if you're heads up in a pot with that person, and the person decides to push. If that person is playing tight, take note of that too. There are more predictable players than unpredictable.

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quite rarely write notes. Only in the case of really extraordinary. And here is color denote often. It is easier and quite informative. All my fish are yellow. Lovely players purple and red.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I've found that a reference to the type of game/table can be helpful. Identification such as $5 sng/9-plyr or $500 GTD/$5 buy-in will help to headline player characteristics such as 'decent player' or 'fish', 'bluffer', etc. A bunch of sites "note-pads" come with some sort of colored identifier which can help for a quick ID.

besplatnee

besplatnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Mark the fish and sharks, next time you will know exactly which table to sit at and which one is better not.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Interesting question.
I have eight categories which I use, for different reasons.

1.Friday Night Poker Club (GREEN) - This is so I can see when my friends are on the same table as me. As we often chat whilst we play, I want to make sure I know who is sitting where so I don't accidentally let my hole cards slip. My notes on my mates are minimal. I know how they play as I've been playing regularly with them for more than 5 years.
2. CardsChatClub (LIGHT BLUE)- I give them all a category the first time I play them. Once I have real notes on the person (see below), then I'll migrate them to another category.
3. General Poker (YELLOW) - Similar to above, but for every person I ever sit down with. Once I have some info, they'll migrate to a ne category.
4. SpinNGo (PURPLE)- Similar to the above two categories, but really this is just to visually flag to me whether I've played against them before. If I have, I refer to the HUD for details. Spins go too quickly to build up notes.
5. Fishy Fish Fish (DARK BLUE)- My notes for players migrated to this category will typically refer to their ranges from particular positions. I'll also indicate what sort of hands resulted in what sort of action. E.G Shoved K9o from UTG with 45BB
Also will make notes about limpers and slow plays.
Might have info about what size bet makes a person fold their BB.
Note about likelihood for the villain to defend their blinds.
6. NIT (BLUE)- Reserved for those with a VPIP 14 and under. Don't really need any more info on nits. Play the Anti-Nit strategy. (Raise unless aggression is encountered. Avoid pots where they raise pre-flop.
7. TAG - Tight Aggressive. (RED) These are very different from NITs. I do not avoid TAG players. I just use extreme caution. I'll look at the HUD stats to see what needs to be explicitly highlighted in the notes. For example, if they have a huge Cbet stat, I might be more likely to call to see later streets. But if CBet is low, a post-flop cbet will put me on alert.
8. Tricky (AMBER) - These will include wild personalities, big bettors, check raisers, 3 and four bettors, and people who will shove any pair or ace. I will often have notes whether attack or trap is more effective on the player, small Cbets or Large Cbets, etc.

So for me, its a combination of Visual Categorisation, HUD stats and hand specific notes, along with bet sizes, position, stack size an action.

I was surprised that when moving from HM3 this week to PT4 I had 110K hands played on stars. Much of that is with CC members...so if people above rubbish the idea of keeping notes, all the better for we who think notes are useful.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

DiazPoker3101

DiazPoker3101

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
What I do is mark by the type of game:
Green: those that I consider fish.
Red: sharks
Amrillo: when they are absent and I have no information.
I emphasize that I am new to this so I will refine them as I continue playing

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tend to mark people certain colors for play style, and take notes on their hands. I have developed a shorthand so I can quickly ad a lot of info, about position, hand played, raises, all in, bluffs, by jotting down simple letters or abbreviations. Such as:
BB ai 22 bf (big Blind went all in with 22 before flop)
utg 4b a10s bf , r af mpr 10 , cai at (under the gun bet 4BB A10 suited before flop, raised after flop mid pair 10's , called all in after turn. )

Once you have 5-10 hands mapped out you can pretty well know their style.

S

suitedsadness

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have used the notes to write about whether a player is a fish, reg, steals blinds etc. Since getting a Hud it is less necessary however.

voljare1234

voljare1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I used to take notes too, especially when I’m in a big tournament and playing with a lot of players, it’s good to know who’s playing so as not to be surprised later.

Pawlowski

Pawlowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For me it should be a simple note: fish / regular/ shark.

Adi8877

Adi8877

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use colors, too, mostly note, specific hands, what resulted all-in, played it with huge bluff or hided perfeclty by the opponents. (just calling pre-flop with monster pairs, and even if he got the set, never re-raise) these are definitely useful, next time I count on that option, too, what otherwise never would, as it is rare in my level

K

kanycta99

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I try to mark with color. it helps, since I play without programs. and you won't remember all the players, but they can change their style, the main thing is to have time to rebuild.

P

peter bos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Keep it organized and for character traits use the colors.

M

matiascecci1990

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I use note only in big tournament, it´s help to know the opponent when the tables change

kley126

kley126

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
personally I don't like to take notes although for many it's important I focus more on my game trying to do my best