How to properly play a big tournament to the end?

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
It often starts out well but then doesn't go as planned and should the big tournament be played the same way in all stages if it lasts like 8 or 9 hours

Alexey Shley

Alexey Shley

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
If a big tournament has a slow increase in the blinds and you're doing well at the beginning of the tournament, then in my opinion, you should play very tight and play only the top pairs. You shouldn't fight for a big pot and never bluff, you can even move away for a while if the stack allows, and after getting into the prizes, you can be a little aggressive.

Dzill_230

Dzill_230

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I agree with Alexey that there's no need to chase the banks. If you manage to double your stack in the early stages, you can simply play tight and maintain it. I understand why you're saying that things don't always go as planned when you lose part of your stack and rely on blind increases - you lose control.

Flower2211

Flower2211

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the rate at which the blinds increase. I also noticed that often at the beginning of a tournament you can rise well, but then bad luck still overtakes you and the blinds eat up your stack, so you have to change your strategy

yogo9

yogo9

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
There are no rules in poker where you should always do X when Y happens. You have to get a feel for the table, and make plays in good spots.
If you saw people were 3betting+donking out a lot, you probably should have tightened up. Stay calm , Focus, Don't tilt, big tournament are not about cards.. they are a chip management course. you need to learn how to be able to swap gears ,You do not need to win the tourney on the first levels.. You need to survive. And the most important do not tighten up and play scared.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I think a lot of players tend to feel like they should be the one controlling things when they get a big chip lead. Or the opposite, and being too protecting over their chips.

You have to be very aware of the blind sructure so you don't over protect your stack allowing others to quickly catch up, but also not play too loosely and give away your chips on marginal hands.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I feel the most important factor when you are in a big Tournament, is do not let other players dictate what you have to pay for being in a hand, Even when you have a good starting hand Like A/K suited or A/Q suited, Sure it is nice to see a flop with, but be prepared for future bets and raises during the hand if you miss your Flush or better yet a Royal Flush.
If you are not 100% sure that you want to gamble then do not call any raises by other players, because inevitably the will be holding a massive Pocket Pair Like A/A or K/K It's the Nature of Players who regularly play big Tournaments, "Raise with the Best, Call to Invest, Fold all the rest" is a good Mantra for big Tournaments,