How do you handle the pressure and bad streaks of online poker?

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I used to get very tilted, still does but less. If it is a very important MTT I still tilt a lot :/

R

rufininha14

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Unfortunately, bad luck in poker happens, but the important thing is not to give up and continue, it is also very important to learn from your mistakes.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
We all know that in online poker we face bad streaks which, if we are not mentally prepared, can affect us greatly. I'm interested in knowing how you manage these bad streaks and stay calm in the face of this and how you use the bad streaks to improve your game.
Greetings
I bad streaks in poker literally last a week or two max these days, as for online I don't go back to the same game/games I was playing and taken a break if I feel I'm running bad. Just in the last few days I've been sucked out deep in decent money comps over and over (6/7 on the trot). The RNG Algorithm was obviously fulfilling it's quota and I saw the sharper side of it as I repeated saw cooler situations lol. Continuous pokers, set over sets, quads etc... Seen it all before it's next reset ffs.... Anyways I simply jumped into SnGs... 50/50, Single and 18 Man for a bit and as always mixing it with the cash games.

A little break pays dividends especially if your the sort that actually tilts. Regardless of you do or don't it's still a bad runs so a change of scenery if you keep playing or a complete break, either way it's a good thing for a little. 😉

M

moriarty137

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I study more and make the most profitable plays even if I lose with strong hands sometimes

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I've been playing for six years, nothing surprises or excites me anymore.
You'll get used to all the tragedies, in poker Murphy's law rules.

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a good option is to reduce the buy-in a little and play a little less on simultaneous screens

10gerka

10gerka

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that the more you study the game, the more you prepare mentally when there are bad streaks playing poker, if in the end you try to overcome it you will have better results in your game, and it will always not affect you.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
In online poker, wins alternate with losses, and this is one of the components of the game that will never change, you just need to get used to it and continue playing.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the best thing you can do is to review your hands with an icm tool and make sure you are playing correctly.

Then study more and play less.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If a bad run is lasting too long I usually take a break of a couple of days or few weeks. It usually helps because I come back playing more focused and with more patience.

doubledribl

doubledribl

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Working on errors in poker solvers, changing the style of play, fighting tilt by watching a selection of poker streams (where you will see the most unrealistic moves), if everything really gets better, I’ll take a break for some time

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yes, right now I have such a period. It's kind of hard to tune in to the game, but I'm still trying to play the way I can. For me, this is not an income, so emotions are ridiculous.

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Bad beats don't annoy me anymore. For a while I beat myself up about how I could be so stupid and unlucky, and then over time I realized that this is also part of the game. You have to accept it and move on as soon as possible. I may not have continued playing that day, but the next day I was back at the tables. You shouldn't dwell on it, you have to get up and carry on.
And you should never play spasmodically, because it always ends badly.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Remember we are choosing to do this to ourselves and we can stop at any time. It's part of the game and, for whatever reason, the harder you fight a bad streak, the worse it gets. So, best to not fight it at all. Just set a hard stop loss, protect your bank roll, and walk away when you're not enjoying the game anymore.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What exactly is a "bad streak" in the first place? Is it a losing day, a losing week, a losing month or a losing year? Or maybe even just being the bubble boy in the daily freeroll? So many people talk about "downswings" or "bad streaks" without even defining them in any sort of objective way. And where does the "pressure" come from? Most of us are not depending on poker to make a living nor are we part of some staking agreement. So there should not be any pressure other than the one, we choose to put on ourself for mostly emotional reasons.
Remember we are choosing to do this to ourselves and we can stop at any time. It's part of the game and, for whatever reason, the harder you fight a bad streak, the worse it gets. So, best to not fight it at all. Just set a hard stop loss, protect your bank roll, and walk away when you're not enjoying the game anymore.
And for that reason puzzlefish really nails it with his comment. The way to handle "bad streaks" is to use strict bankroll management, move down when things are not going well and then simply walk away, whenever we are not enjoying to play. I play a lot, but I never set any goals of, how many hands or games, I need to play per day, week or month. And it happens very frequently, that I start out a session planning to play for many hours but then cut it short because I decide, that now I would rather do something else. After all the game will always be there tomorrow, so there is no need to play right now, if I dont feel like it :)

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Hi the pressure is difficult to control, self control is important when you play poker, if bad beats is a lot I take a. break.

Sullivanryn88

Sullivanryn88

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Amnesia, you should continuously learn more strategies and ways of the game, become the best and most educated you can in all aspects of play, bankroll, etc.
Good streaks happen and also bad streaks Happen, you have to know this from playing enough. You cannot hold onto the bad, you go with that and your energy follows. You just forget, but learn from a mistake or even the situation anyway you can, and play your game. If losing is a constant, something is wrong, and LEARN.
But don't hold or hang into any bad streak as it rigged or whatever theory.
Online systems that are reputable mak a rake, why would they cheat when there guaranteed to print money basically.

Just forget, play and be as positive you can. Even the worst fishers you can pinpoint and eventually with patience take them out.

lilypond

lilypond

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I haven't really encountered long losing streaks yet. I think you can try bluffing more and using player reads to dominate other players to try to combat losing streaks. Also, I don't spend much money on poker, so that helps a lot too to not get upset or angry.

iceheart888

iceheart888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
when everything goes wrong I take a break

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Frequent breaks after bad beats and avoiding play when on tilt.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands