Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys.

This is a question and I`m looking for a shoulder to cry on :eek:

I`ve been playing poker now for about 18 months, so I am still lacking real experience.

My figs show that I start every month well, go off the rails in the middle of the month, then end the month well. This has been happening for 8 months now and I find it a little bizarre - it does happen every month and I mean every month.

Any thoughts guys?

But to my main point. How do you guys deal with a run of bad cards during a dry spell?

I`m not a good enough player yet to do well in a MTT/ SNG without the help of the cards and I still beleive that even the best players need a certain amount of good cards/ lucky breaks to win a tourny - u can`t win a tourny being delt 72o every hand!!!

So, when the cards are not comming your way, what do you do???

From time to time I start to play less than good cards out of position, u know what I mean Q9s UTG starts to look a worth while hand to limp with 5% of your stack - u might catch that monster!!!

I know I should remain patient and play my game but that is easier said than done - although I do try.

Any comments guys???

F

flynrench

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably don't have enough experience to give you advice, but I will give you my thoughts. If it is happening every month, you need to look at things like.....are you getting burnt out? Putting too much pressure on yourself to make money, etc. If this is true, take a break. Also, I don't know what limits you play, but when you get card dead, you need to be stealing when you can. Sounds like you play fairly tight.....try opening up your range some, I know this has helped me. Just my thoughts, good luck!

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aggression. Take "call" off your option list.

buckster436

buckster436

Cardschat Hall of Famer - RIP Buck
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys.

This is a question and I`m looking for a shoulder to cry on :eek:

I`ve been playing poker now for about 18 months, so I am still lacking real experience.

My figs show that I start every month well, go off the rails in the middle of the month, then end the month well. This has been happening for 8 months now and I find it a little bizarre - it does happen every month and I mean every month.

Any thoughts guys?

But to my main point. How do you guys deal with a run of bad cards during a dry spell?

I`m not a good enough player yet to do well in a MTT/ SNG without the help of the cards and I still beleive that even the best players need a certain amount of good cards/ lucky breaks to win a tourny - u can`t win a tourny being delt 72o every hand!!!

So, when the cards are not comming your way, what do you do???

From time to time I start to play less than good cards out of position, u know what I mean Q9s UTG starts to look a worth while hand to limp with 5% of your stack - u might catch that monster!!!

I know I should remain patient and play my game but that is easier said than done - although I do try.

Any comments guys???
One possibility is>> maybe your playing so much at the start of the month your burnt out by the middle & end of the month, slow down and try to pace yourself..( 2 ) bad spells, we all get them, if you think your in a bad spell play freerolls or Cheap money tourneys for a while,, ( 3 ) Good spells> aka On a Rush, when everythings going your way play alot, you have to have the experiance to recognize them though, and when you do,go for it, also have PATIENCE and the cards will come,, you can also just play premium hands, but if you dont get the cards you have to change up, and play more bluffs and raise more, there are different ways to play weather you get good or bad cards,, and Always go with your Gut feeling,its usually rite>. buck

Egon Towst

Egon Towst

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bearing in mind some of your previous posts also, I suspect you are a bit impatient, Ron, and perhaps your expectations are too high and that fuels your impatience.

This:

I still believe that even the best players need a certain amount of good cards/ lucky breaks to win a tourny

is the simple truth.

I think of myself as a pretty successful MTT player. I have won several thousand dollars so far this year from $11 and under MTTs. Even so, my expectation when I sit down to play a tourney is that I will win nothing 2 times out of 3, and that when I do cash, I will make only a modest profit 2 times out of 3.

In other words, I expect to make the final table and win big only one time in 9. Even though I feel myself to be a better player than 90% of the other entrants, I know that I can`t expect a big win 90% of the time, or even the majority of the time, because luck comes into it.

Because my expectation is relatively modest and is generally achieved, I don`t (usually) get unduly frustrated during lean times and, crucially, I don`t (usually) make dumb plays through impatience. You don`t have to do that sort of thing very often before you are into a downward spiral where errors lead to poorer results, which leads to more impatience, which leads to more errors.

Oh, and AlienGenius is right about aggression. When I advocate patience, I don`t mean be a rock and play weak-tight. I mean watch the opponents, watch the situation, pick your moment, and then go for it.

I remember reading something by Phil Hellmuth, where he said that the good player is like an eagle who soars high above the game, watching with his eagle eye for the moment when he will swoop down and grab a big pot in his talons. Rather overly dramatic perhaps (as with all things Hellmuth), but a pretty good thought.

belladonna05

belladonna05

belladonkin'
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I know this will seem to be a pokers rigged type answer but I dont meanfor it to sound like that. I have played Euchre online for years and poker online for a couple of years and it all boils down to no matter how well you play sometimes the cards just arent there. When that happens they I either play for fun or stop playing that particular session. At least thats my opinion and I am sticking to it.