Do you turn on the function to show cards to the enemy?

YRAGAGARIN

YRAGAGARIN

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, I have it turned off and I don’t understand what it is for at all?:confused:

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never understood why I should show my cards to my opponent. Except to console your ego.

R

RedMatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I never understood why I should show my cards to my opponent. Except to console your ego.

You can show when you have good/great cards and it will allow you to get bluffs through later... or ... you can show your bluffs, and induce a call later on, when you have the nuts and bet hard.

But, this is only for cash/SNG, imo. With MTT, no one is around long enough to remember what you showed.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can show when you have good/great cards and it will allow you to get bluffs through later... or ... you can show your bluffs, and induce a call later on, when you have the nuts and bet hard.

But, this is only for cash/SNG, imo. With MTT, no one is around long enough to remember what you showed.

I told you that those who show their cards want to console their egos.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I also have it turned off, but sometimes in interesting hands I open the cards myself.
And so you don't need to show your cards, why give extra information about your range and your style of play to the opponent, the less they know about you the better for you, and this is not only in poker.

marvinsytan

marvinsytan

I'm going to win The PokerStars Sunday Million
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
PH
Chips
if this is a friendly game like the CardsChat, i turn on show cards for the fun of it, otherwise never

R

RedMatrix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I told you that those who show their cards want to console their egos.

What does that even mean? I explained there is a real reason why someone decides to show their cards; whether that strategy works is another story.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What does that even mean? I explained there is a real reason why someone decides to show their cards; whether that strategy works is another story.

I meant that showing your cards is to console your ego and nothing more.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I personally do not show my cards. You will need to pay to see them. Some people do have reasons to show them but I dont thinks its always the smartest move. They will show there bluffs to get under the players skin. Other will show there strong hand as if they always have it. The problem is against a good player they dont care you have the bluff so much. They will know you can but wont fall into the trap so easily. As for the nuts players, OK NH, but the next 5 you dont show can be questioned into bluffs.

pandafreeroll

pandafreeroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you might have a point there, but it would only work if you decide to show your cards >before< you play a hand and, sticking to the decision, play way differently than you normally would so that you can exploit them when you hit some nuts and start dancing out of line again. The problem with that is, that this could only produce the desired result if you otherwise don't just follow a strategy but do so in a way that is predictable to your opponents, else they can't tell whether you are trying to act odd and won't fall for it as you would them have. Playing like this would maybe give you an advantage in a few hands but put you at a disadvantage most of the time. Showing losing cards to scare your opponent off calling/betting later on however doesn't work, because clearly you called them or bet into them with a losing hand.

If on the other hand you lost to a suck-out or bad beat, why would you try to show a strong hand to make them think twice about going the donkey way again? Just note that they seem to be a loose player who got lucky once and hope they don't fold next time you hit something above their range either, because they won't get lucky every time.

Edit: whether or not showing bluffs can be reasonable is a bit more tricky I think. Sure, you might induce a tilt, but trying to get a bluff through later on or even betting anything less than nuts will be hard. Maybe the opponent will be thinking 'this madlad bluffed me once, they'll do it again' - or maybe they will think 'hang on, surely they must be thinking I'll call after such a pesky bluff, they won't do it again' and so on and so on. I think you will end up having less fold equity with your aggressive options being limited due to the uncertainty AND you are more likely to be unable to get calls on legitimate value bets.

btw., trolls who berate strangers about ego-consolation issues online are just envious because they haven't found a way to console their own ego yet, so don't take that guys remarks to heart in case you would have ;P

Last edited:
iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I also don't understand why to show my cards to the opponent.

But I agree with this statement below, sometimes in a friendly hand vs an opponent I know and sort of respect, I might show a hand. But it's rare. My approach is that if you want to see my hand, you call :) :) :)
if this is a friendly game like the CardsChat, i turn on show cards for the fun of it, otherwise never

I think I have this option turned on only on PS, as it's left from my HU sng days way back :D Oh and on GGpoker it's a default feature I think. That's it.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I have it turned off and I don’t understand what it is for at all?:confused:
I think this is one of the ways to misinform opponents in online poker. The player who breaks the bank usually demonstrates his cards when he wins on a bluff or on garbage, so that next time you make a mistake and call his premium hand. If you are shown a strong hand, then this is an attempt to make you take his raises too seriously, play with caution, and therefore make not always the right decisions. :thefinger

pandafreeroll

pandafreeroll

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think this is one of the ways to misinform opponents in online poker. The player who breaks the bank usually demonstrates his cards when he wins on a bluff or on garbage, so that next time you make a mistake and call his premium hand. If you are shown a strong hand, then this is an attempt to make you take his raises too seriously, play with caution, and therefore make not always the right decisions. :thefinger

You might wanna check my post 2 above yours and take the points I made on why that kinda gambit is unlikely productive into consideration. I mean, even if my reasoning is wrong, there should be some reason profitable players choose not to do it...

Last edited:
Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
sometimes I show a bluff but quite rarely and only when it passes) sometimes I show it when I fold from the big blind when the opponent shoves from the sb

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I turned them off on all sites alongside with chats.

Lipki3

Lipki3

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I sometimes show cards to my opponent if I fold something strong, like trips or a straight

SopianaeExtra

SopianaeExtra

between my 2 ears
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I always turn off that function by default. Normally I'm not in the mood to play 'mind games' with my opponent, like revealing my bluffs and so on, as Poker already is one big deception by itself (this is by no means intended to sound like a negative).

M

mrc1988

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I believe on the site I am on you have the option to show the cards (both) and you have the option to just click one card that you want to show them. I will only show a single card if I want to give them fake info. For instance if I overbluff chasing a flush and it doesn't come and the villian folds to an overbet I will show the card that makes me look like I got in on the board.

Otherwise...never give more information to anyone that they don't need to have.