Is cheating relevant (online poker)

M

Millar316

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel like cheating has become a problem for online poker. Have you heard of people using poker calculator tools or teams online?

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
There are fraudsters everywhere and yes I think that these people unfortunately also exist in online poker. A few years ago, there were people who had made several accounts with pokerstars and had also played with them. But then Pokerstars tightened their security measures and now it is no longer so easy to create multiple accounts. People will still try to cheat again and again, but reputable sites like PokerStars take action against this and that's why I believe that there is already a certain security in online poker. But it's like a computer virus, you always need new and better antiviruses to increase protection, and since such people will never stop trying to cheat, sites like PokerStars are constantly working to improve their security

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
poker sites claim that they are fighting this phenomenon, but it is hardly worth waiting for publicity about the number of such accounts, there are many interesting articles on the Internet on this subject, but it seems to me that in most cases we play with honest players to get to the table to the bot or to the table where one person plays with two the probability of accounts is very small

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
A few years ago this was allowed, now many poker sites have banned the use of helper software. This is mostly used by professional players. In my case I am a recreational player and I do not use this type of tools

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
if you need to cheat to win, i doubt you are playing any live tournaments, Thats why i dont invest much money in online poker as i do, real games

XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
You have to assume that there's shady stuff going on. As much as poker sites claim that they fight these practices, it's impossible to know for sure who or what's behind your opponents computer screens.

J

JCSmith

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It varies by the card room. Pokerstars security is pretty good.

Calculators are common. Though they aren't really cheating. Most of them anyway, there are some tools which are considered cheating. Same with other tools, there's lots of information you can get when using software and you have to assume other players are using them looking for any edge they can find. Imo if you are playing online you absolutely should be using either Poker Tracker or Holdem Manager if you want to seriously compete and multitable.

Collusion is also a potential issue. If you have more than one player on the table who knows what other players are holding that is an advantage. On pokerstars they have auto detection of common things there. I know my wife has an account as well as me, and it won't allow us to play on the same tables in cash games or small sit and gos. In tournaments though once in a while we do wind up on the same table.

Many of the smaller rooms have problems with bots. Though "problem" is a loose term here. The bots are generally pretty predictable and easy to play against. Often also easy to identify. Those smaller poker rooms generally don't seem to care about them as they are paying rake like everyone else and they are filling up tables. I don't really see them as an issue. They will often fold winning hands to small raises and things of that nature. So take advantage of them.

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I don't use any tools but my brain. IMO it's quite unfair. But many players certainly do it.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
For MTTs there may be some players who use pushing range charts with x amount of bb at some spots, I think it's prohibited during the hand but you can't really know, they have it on the second screen as snapshots and they push/fold. Even in live tournaments there are some phone applications like snapshove which tells you what to shove, so between hands they take a look at it.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I feel like cheating has become a problem for online poker. Have you heard of people using poker calculator tools or teams online?

Yes and yes.

And it's worse than most people think it is.

You think teams of players is a bad thing? How about AI controlling and coordinating hundreds of accounts from different geographical areas?

EnzoRS94

EnzoRS94

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
I feel like cheating has become a problem for online poker. Have you heard of people using poker calculator tools or teams online
I hate those tools man, what's the point?
I just use my brain, if you let the computer play for you what's the point? It kills the fun!
and about the cheating, I think Pokerstars is the only site in the history of online poker that we never heard even a single rumour about cheating on it.