Blocking Avatars

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A few sites allow personal pictures as avatars, which is great, but I find some just annoying. I did not realize I was able to block them, so I have blocked 3 so far. Nothing personal, I just find them very annoying.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Everything that is annoying or toxic in our lives friend must be discarded.
you did the right thing i think 🇦🇬🇦🇬🇦🇬

offeron

offeron

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I noticed that in some poker rooms, if you have not set a unique avatar, then for other users your avatar will be random.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
They don't bother me generally, sometimes I turn them of at night but usually they are a help in identifying players if I don't notice the name right away!

Pavel1203733

Pavel1203733

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think poker itself is a way to learn to get annoyed less.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A few sites allow personal pictures as avatars, which is great, but I find some just annoying. I did not realize I was able to block them, so I have blocked 3 so far. Nothing personal, I just find them very annoying.
Wow, I had no idea that was an option in some card rooms. I think that you're doing the right thing. If something is causing a distraction, then removing that distraction will most likely be beneficial to your play and enjoyment of the game.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Animated pictures are not supported by most of the rooms. From personal photos, they put pets more, all the same, pokerstars players put their personal photos quite rarely.

COMIRRR

COMIRRR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Man, keep in mind too many things around you, be freer

exer888

exer888

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
Try meditation, if random pictures bother you. Its not ok

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Should the site give you the option to remove those that bother you, there ya go, if they do not, might want to look into ways to improve your focus on the poker.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
Do the throwables annoy you also??

Like a wise man once said, look into ways to improve your focus on the poker.

(y)

Last edited:
manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Wow, I had no idea that was an option in some card rooms. I think that you're doing the right thing. If something is causing a distraction, then removing that distraction will most likely be beneficial to your play and enjoyment of the game.
A few distract me, but some, I just do not understand why anyone would but up. Maybe I am missing something. In the end, we do what is best for our game.

IronMike9000

IronMike9000

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
I never had a problem with people avatars, i like to see the face of people that i beat

ipagan

ipagan

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I understand, sometimes it is just somehitng annoying in some pictures...I don't know...I think it's good to have an option to block something that distracts your attention from the game itself, so i'm with you and blocked some pictures too, why not

ToNy70929

ToNy70929

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UZ
Chips
Maybe I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that in the last couple of years people have stopped putting their personal photos on their profile pictures. It used to be more widespread.:cool:

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't usually deal with other people's avatars, they don't bother me at all.

RoviP

RoviP

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I blocked all images, so I knew who already knew my game, and also who entered the table, it was a habit, I think I blocked more than 50,000 opponents.

nerobs9

nerobs9

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
It’s best to block all distractions altogether ;)

lauestla

lauestla

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On Pokerstars I have blocked the avatars and the throwables. It disturbed me and I want to stay focused on my game. Moreover some avatars give a false idea of the player and I don't want any influence when playing.
But it's only a personal choice.

V

VladB850

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I blocked throwables on Pokerstars because they are annoying but avatars don't bother me at all

E

EarnDAStack

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try and play with as few distractions as possible. I have both throwables and images turned off when available. Space on my monitor is valuable, I don't want to have it filled up with distractions

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Personally, I think it's funny. As an ex-stand-up comic I look for humor. As an artist I'm also looking for anything that's aesthetically appealing. Avatars satisfy that urge, sometimes.
But as a poker-player I also think it's a small window into the player, themselves. I think I/you can tell a little about a player from their avatar selection. If it's a photo of them or a loved one (child/sig-other/pet) they usually play predictably. If it's art or from the counterculture, I see a bunch of over-bets and all-ins. If there's no avatar, then I'm left guessing without any assumptions, just their name.
Now, this is just an observation after 14 years of playing online. As a live player I feel I'm just conditioned to observe and take stock in players appearance at the table. To me there's no difference online.

fadred719

fadred719

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
BY
Chips
  • When you play a couple of tables, avatars can be examined))) To do some other extraneous things, and when you play a lot of tables, there should be a minimum of extra information on the tables, and atavarks is what it is, yes, I turned off avatars

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I just block the throwables, the avatar figure sometimes help me, because i remember some play from a player who i not make the note