Baffled... where's my patience?

A

AceOfJax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure how to start this. I love poker and I don't seem to love it sometimes. Lately I've lacked the motivation to want to play over a period of more than an hour or 2. But I think that's just being out of the mix mostly. When I play and I win I want to keep going the next day in the same way. My AA's mostly are getting cracked everything bc I slowplay and call ridiculous bets where I'm clearly beat. Usually win with KK's but never with the profit I prefer, even when I play them close to great. I'm seeing hands I fold win over and over, more than I had before and people are betting me out of pots I enter in a way as weak or whatever way... I've lost an edge Lately. This from someone who has turned $10 into $400, $350, $4,900 and $200 another time. Recently it was over 800 and I've lost my wit, patience, discipline and don't want to revert more... any advice or similarities?

A

AceOfJax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll reply first to my own stupid comments. I'm going to play a tourney now I'll post back here details.

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not sure how to start this. I love poker and I don't seem to love it sometimes. Lately I've lacked the motivation to want to play over a period of more than an hour or 2. But I think that's just being out of the mix mostly.
Patience is certainly very important & such happens to the best of us. Easy to loose patience when we get card dead over long spells & gets kicked out of the mix. The answer is same as the question, where's your patience? :sneaky:

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm seeing hands I fold win over and over, more than I had before a
this ^ should be completely irrelevant.
Poker is all about making the best decision in each spot.

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For what you said, my advice to you is take a break. I don't know if you take breaks regulary, but for me it's always a good idea. I'm on the same situation as you. There are periods that I'm super motivated and I can play several tournaments on a day and mantain my patience and discipline. But there are periods that I just don't want to play, but I play because I want to win the extra money. Usually this is a bad idea. Nowadays, when I don't want to play, I just don't play no matter how good are the tournaments. I'm not a professional, so, for me this was a good decision.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
There's nothing wrong with not being a robot, although it is very inconvenient.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Not sure how to start this. I love poker and I don't seem to love it sometimes. Lately I've lacked the motivation to want to play over a period of more than an hour or 2. But I think that's just being out of the mix mostly. When I play and I win I want to keep going the next day in the same way. My AA's mostly are getting cracked everything bc I slowplay and call ridiculous bets where I'm clearly beat. Usually win with KK's but never with the profit I prefer, even when I play them close to great. I'm seeing hands I fold win over and over, more than I had before and people are betting me out of pots I enter in a way as weak or whatever way... I've lost an edge Lately. This from someone who has turned $10 into $400, $350, $4,900 and $200 another time. Recently it was over 800 and I've lost my wit, patience, discipline and don't want to revert more... any advice or similarities?
Personally mate, I think you should take a break for a few days to a week. Preferably the week. Give your self a chance to recharge and become more motivated. I have done this in the past and the results have been great, I have also taken as much as a month off one time

This does not mean you cant review you play or study but just chill out from playing. One very positive note, You relize why your aces have been losing. This you can fix and again taking the break will help.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Take a break. Just a longer break. Obviously you are playing to make money, try just playing for pleasure. And if poker does not bring you pleasure, then it will never bring you a stable income.

MrCryJoker

MrCryJoker

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I think this can happen because of playing too often, or playing in a tired state after work. I think you should just sit down to play rested, poker does not forgive mistakes you need constant maximum concentration. Remember that every hand can be the last. Good luck ;)