Adding to the Repertoire

J

JAJONGLEUR

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was recently at a table OL and had more than twice the buy-in and had started playing more flops and expanded my range greatly. A player had joined and was there for a few hands, when playing a hand I would not normally play, I caught a boat. He hit a flush and shoved.

After the hand he cried for awhile but I started thinking that if he believes I will play any two cards, I have an advantage bc he won't be able to put me on a hand.

I have also determined that playing with slop once in awhile and getting the cards exposed is just another weapon. In the words of Brent Cobb, "Keep 'em on they toes."

G

gustav197poker

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In reality everything is relative in poker. Your reasoning could also be applied the other way around. For example calling wider in front of a villain who has a greater number of bluffs, etc. But if I have to be objective, it is not the ideal situation that our opponent to think that we are playing at being the fish. Rather, you want your hands to have the highest possible degree of credibility.
Greetings.

Alex70793

Alex70793

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This strategy is very important in cash games, because if you play only premium hands, then no one will answer your bets, you need to play garbage hands and sometimes bring such hands to the showdown, so that other players would see that you are playing garbage hands.
But in tournaments, this strategy is not suitable, because losing 3-4 blinds is too expensive, especially in the late stages of the tournament.

B

BIGAUS

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
When I think of adding to my repertoire in play, regardless of the table conditions, I think about how to smartly expand my range. You can't play too tight, can't play too loose, but finding opportune moments to play non-premium hands and getting experience and familiarity with what to do in certain situations with hands you usually don't play. That's what I think of when it comes to adding to my repertoire and growing my game.