What do you think gives a better $/hour?

T

turnupthebb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CH
Chips
What do you think gives a better $/hour?
1. Playing with 200bb stack at 1/2
2. Playing with 100bb stack at 2/4
3. Both options are close to being the same.

I know it depends a bit because if you are not that great player, then its better to not play so deep so in that case it's probably better with #2. But if you are a great player then I don't know, I guess in that case a 4th option is best which is 200bb at 2/4 as long as bankroll allows it but we have to stick to just the 3 options here.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMHO the bigger you Xbb the bigger your hourly will be. Short stack strategy is just a difficult to 'master' as is TAG or LAG.

T

turnupthebb

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
CH
Chips
I guess another thing to think about is that 200bb in live maybe isn't really something we should consider to be deep. In online poker 200bb is deep but is it deep in live poker?

In live poker open raises are much bigger than online because online there is so much 3betting and 4betting but in live poker there is comparatively very little 3betting so in live poker the open raises are so big. open raise is well different from location to location and stakes but lets say on average 5bb but its not strange for people to open raise to 10bb. But in online poker 3bb is considered a really big open raise and its more normal to open raise to 2bb or between 2bb and 2.5bb.

So what this means is that maybe we should think about this not about how many bb we have effectively but instead what the Stack to pot ratio is.

So how to figure out mathematically by thinking in SPR what 100bb online is equal to in live poker. Its useful to know because you should adapt your strategy and ranges depending on SPR. In online poker it's quite different strategy if you have 100bb versus 200bb.

SPR = effective stack size divided by pot size.

So in online poker if you 3bet to 9bb and get called then SPR is about 4.8.
In online you would probably 3bet to about 15 at least but probably more than that ill say 17 in this example. So then SPR would be about 2.4 so its half of online poker.
So this means 200bb in live poker is probably same thing as 100bb in online poker.
And if you play 100bb in live poker, that's like playing 50bb in online poker.
But actually, live poker very often is more crazy than this example, so i think even 300bb could be same thing as 100bb online.

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best profit comes from playing the right way, and it doesn’t matter at what limits or with what stack you play.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Be more aware of who is sitting at your table. It's going to matter a lot more for your hourly rate than whether you are a short stack at 400NL or a normal stack at 200NL. I would say playing as the short stack sucks because you are less likely to win a large pot.