What do you do with your at home Poker Room? (aka Man-Cave/Person-Cave)

Tredford

Tredford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I bought a house with a "man-cave" over the garage (see attached pic):
- It's not fully insulated, so here in canada I can only play in it ~10 months of the year (playing in your coat is not that comfortable);
- It's completely isolated from the rest of the house so its great for games that go late into the night;
- I made a large poker table (seen in the pic) and a smaller 6-player table (I should start a thread on that maybe)
- I installed some used hardwood flooring and gave I new paint job;
- It has a standard fluorescent light, like you might have in the office;
- It has a sink and running water but the only bathroom is off the end of the small 2nd floor balcony out the back (lookout below!) ... the inside bathroom IS there if they arent noisy late at night.

Before covid, I would have poker night with FRIENDS a 2-3 times a year, mostly tournaments with re-buys (that way people could show up whenever).
My problem is my friends live 1+hrs away now (and they suck at poker) and only want to play for $20-40, and only once or twice a year.

Does anyone else have a poker/games room in the house?
How do you furnish it? How should I furnish it?
How do you arrange games and are they on a set schedule? Cash or tournaments, only friends, friends can bring friends, local strangers from CardsChat?
Do you supply snack food and beverages? Is it "on the house"?
Are you ever worried about safety?

I would love hear some thoughts / ideas / recommendations! Thanks!!

Attachments

• IMG_20180413_1703222.jpg
    IMG_20180413_1703222.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 10
T

TpaEnforcement

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am looking for a house right now, once we decide on our house we are buying I am going to have a poker room. It's very hard to find what you really want, we have looked at 5 homes now. Deciding which one to buy with the least amount of work to do, I never knew how hard and difficult it would be. I need my man cave, but I may end up having to do a bit of work to make my man cave the size I want it to be. That's a nice size man cave you have, beautiful set up.

Tredford

Tredford

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am looking for a house right now, once we decide on our house we are buying I am going to have a poker room. It's very hard to find what you really want, we have looked at 5 homes now. Deciding which one to buy with the least amount of work to do, I never knew how hard and difficult it would be. I need my man cave, but I may end up having to do a bit of work to make my man cave the size I want it to be. That's a nice size man cave you have, beautiful set up.

I hope the house hunting is going ok. As a fellow Canadian, I know it can be hard.
I would recommend getting a house with an unfinished basement, then get the basement framed the way you want it - for a play room / man-cave! That's what we did with our first house. If you have any construction know-how, its not too hard to put up framing and drywall, and the floor can just be those 2'x2' plywood-plastic subfloor boards.
Ask your friends/family to help. Beer is cheaper than an hourly rate.

Organize a Home Poker Game