Turn over someone else's cards

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The other day I was playing a tournament, first in a year. We had 5 way all in cards face up. The guy beside me turned is cards face down conceding before I even saw his cards. The dealer determined I won all the pots , massive win. Then another guy reached over and turned over the cards of the guy beside showing a straight so he ended up taking the large pot. Because I had not played there in a while and I am just recovering from a stroke, (still problems left side , 95% recovered) I said nothing, smiled and let it go. In my mind I was furious. He turned his cards over in defeat. NO ONE should touch them. If he turned them back face up and said ops I won, ok That is fine. But everybody else keep your ****ing hands off some one else's cards. Am I right to be upset. Thoughts.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the cards had already been shown, I think, the other guy did the right thing by correcting the mistake and making sure, the pot was awarded to the right player. However it would have been more correct by him to call the attention of the dealer and say something like "hey this guy has a straight" and then let the dealer handle the situation.

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're right. In live game, you should not be allowed to touch any card other than your own. If the villain mucked his cards and the dealer determined you won the hand then its final. Even if he turns his cards after & claims a win, the decision is final because he had already mucked his cards. :cool:

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The other day I was playing a tournament, first in a year. We had 5 way all in cards face up. The guy beside me turned is cards face down conceding before I even saw his cards. The dealer determined I won all the pots , massive win. Then another guy reached over and turned over the cards of the guy beside showing a straight so he ended up taking the large pot. Because I had not played there in a while and I am just recovering from a stroke, (still problems left side , 95% recovered) I said nothing, smiled and let it go. In my mind I was furious. He turned his cards over in defeat. NO ONE should touch them. If he turned them back face up and said ops I won, ok That is fine. But everybody else keep your ****ing hands off some one else's cards. Am I right to be upset. Thoughts.
In a tournament - when there is an all-in situation - all hands need to be turned up and shown - even at the river. This is mostly to determine collusion or chip dumping.

So, if that player had not exposed the other player's cards then the dealer was obligated to do so. And would have pushed the pot to the winning player anyways.

I have been in situations where we are all in and one of my opponents has quads and I muck my hand and the dealer quietly apologizes to me and says he must show my hand because I was all in - as I'm leaving the table. lol

In a cash game - keep your fingers away from my cards!!!!

I hope you continue to heal from your stroke so you can play (and win) more live poker!

Last edited:
Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here is the TDA rule for this - notice it says that an Allin hand may NOT be mucked. So a dealer should/would have corrected it anyway.

15: Face Up for All-Ins
All hands will be tabled without delay once a player is all-in and all betting action by all other players in the hand is complete. No player who is either all-in or has called all betting action may muck his hand without tabling.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the cards had already been shown, I think, the other guy did the right thing by correcting the mistake and making sure, the pot was awarded to the right player. However it would have been more correct by him to call the attention of the dealer and say something like "hey this guy has a straight" and then let the dealer handle the situation.
once a person turns his cards over he basically mucking them, no one should touch them. I did not see them myself. I am only ticked because someone else turned them back over.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here is the TDA rule for this - notice it says that an Allin hand may NOT be mucked. So a dealer should/would have corrected it anyway.

15: Face Up for All-Ins
All hands will be tabled without delay once a player is all-in and all betting action by all other players in the hand is complete. No player who is either all-in or has called all betting action may muck his hand without tabling.
if the dealer did , ok. My point is no one should touch someone else cards

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry but no, a player in an Allin MAY NOT muck their cards so a player helping out the dealer is an accepted action.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In a tournament - when there is an all-in situation - all hands need to be turned up and shown - even at the river. This is mostly to determine collusion or chip dumping.

So, if that player had not exposed the other player's cards then the dealer was obligated to do so. And would have pushed the pot to the winning player anyways.

I have been in situations where we are all in and one of my opponents has quads and I muck my hand and the dealer quietly apologizes to me and says he must show my hand because I was all in - as I'm leaving the table. lol

In a cash game - keep your fingers away from my cards!!!!

I hope you continue to heal from your stroke so you can play (and win) more live poker!
Thank for the well wishes. I agree he should get his portion if he won part. The dealer not another player makes the call. I would never touch another players cards.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank for the well wishes. I agree he should get his portion if he won part. The dealer not another player makes the call. I would never touch another players cards.

One would hope then that you would have recognized this player's action was against the rules and you would have asked the dealer to expose his cards.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am actually stunned someone would do this. More surprised the dealer did not call the floor on this. All hands must be shown so he should have won the hand but he folded the cards in my opinion. Not sure how that should be looked at but I think you were wronged on this one.

YLAN

YLAN

Sida Nga Taraki
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're right. In live game, you should not be allowed to touch any card other than your own. If the villain mucked his cards and the dealer determined you won the hand then its final. Even if he turns his cards after & claims a win, the decision is final because he had already mucked his cards. :cool:
My apology. My brain forgot the part it was a 5-way all-in. Above previous comment is for mucked card during a hand. Why would a villain even muck a straight hand unless an oversight in his part.

Since it was a 5-way all-in, The cards are live and must be turned face up for the showdown. Cards cannot be mucked. Other players helping out the dealer by touching other cards should not be a big deal at this tme as cards are open but by principle should be warned & not allowed by the dealer. @Jillychemung you're right.

The problem here is the dealer determining that you won the pot, the dealer did not consider the villain's cards for the showdown. This could be pointed out by anyone tho & would be ruled as dealer's mistake & corrected. So the villain's straight hand wins.

@manzanillo53 pls don't be furious now, it is the correct result. Pls accept. :)

Last edited:
Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The dealer made a mistake by beginning to push the pot to you without turning all the other players cards up.

All pockets in the hand need to be turned up.

Like Jilly said.

S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
usually dealers make mistakes when trying to hurry through a hand . in this case , a tourney with 5 way allin, extra attention should be taken by the dealer and the players as well.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just a follow up, Not sure if I was clear, or if it makes a difference, but all cards were turned up. The player decided to turn his cards over after all cards were dealt. So to me he conceded the hand, the other player had no business touching his cards. Dealer maybe, but I think he folded his hand. Not my fault he did see what he had.

Herkstwin

Herkstwin

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Since all cards were turned up, it should be obvious which hand won, even though the player turned his cards down. The one observant player could have notified the dealer about the downturned cards, since the dealer obviously made at least one or two mistakes here. As the saying goes - The cards read. Many times I've seen players think they've lost when they won. The winner of the hand is the player with the best hand, not the one who the dealer mistakenly chooses - and other players at the table are well within their rights to help correct the situation. (Touching the downturned cards was incorrect, but just trying to be helpful.)

_420_420_

_420_420_

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Thats whatever. but yeah, you can't touch another players cards, this is the most basic rule