TDA

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, just learned about TDA today. A guy said “Raise” and then put in some chips, then stopped, and put in more chips after and one of the players called the floor because it was not within TDA. I think I remember this correctly, anyways it was determined that at the poker establishment I was playing at verbal raises are fine for situations like that…

Can anyone experienced about TDA explain more about rules? Just find it interesting.

Thanks

Last edited:
Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Ok, just learned about TDA today. A guy said “Raise” and then put in some chips, then stopped, and put in more chips after and one of the players called the floor because it was not within TDA. I think I remember this correctly, anyways it was determined that at the poker establishment I was playing at verbal raises are fine for situations like that…

Can anyone experienced about TDA explain more about rules? Just find it interesting.

Thanks
As you know - the Tournament Director's Association publishes a standardized set of tournament rules.

The floor has a lot of discretion in how to enforce the rules in a tournament and how to handle certain players.

I would always check with the tournament director at the room you are playing to see if there are any house rules you should be aware of. Do they offer a flyer listing their house tournament rules?

I would also ask them what infraction they give the most penalties for. This answer should give you an idea of what they expect of you in that room.

Polytarp

Polytarp

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Always know the rules of the game...and their enforcement.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This action has been recently discussed by the TDA and I believe that they are not allowing it any longer. Players would announce 'Raise' ,cut out the chips to call the existing bet and then tank before putting in the raise amount, trying to get a read on the player(s) left in the hand. This was considered a form of angle-shooting. I'll try to find the discussion.

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here it is and it was actually eliminated in 2019, see the note at the end of #42

42: Methods of Raising

In no-limit or pot-limit, a raise must be made by A) pushing out the full amount in one motion; B) verbally declaring the full amount prior to pushing out chips. It is the responsibility of players to make their intentions clear. Note: 2-motion raises eliminated in 2019.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This action has been recently discussed by the TDA and I believe that they are not allowing it any longer. Players would announce 'Raise' ,cut out the chips to call the existing bet and then tank before putting in the raise amount, trying to get a read on the player(s) left in the hand. This was considered a form of angle-shooting. I'll try to find the discussion.

In the live rooms I frequent this would automatically be a min raise.

If this is the first raise then it would be a raise to 2BB.

If there was a 3BB raise and a player did the action you describe then it would be a raise to 5BB.

If the raising player protests then the floor would be called to expedite the situation.

The clock is ticking!! Blinds are rising!!!!