Table Stress and CBD

L

lincs

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I had briefly touched upon this in my introduction thread. But I doubt it's in a place that will conger up much conversation on the subject.

I live in canada, where the recreational use of both Marijuana and CBD products are legal.
I had been hearing for some time now, about the benefits of CBD oil, when it comes to: Pain Relief, Stress, Anxiety ect.

I've personally only just recently tried out some CBD to help with some of the anxiety of making it deep in a tournament. I've found that it helps me make more concise decisions.

I don't play too much Live poker, because of my Anxiety. My hands shake a bit and get nervous and I'm afraid it's giving tells left and right. I have my first Live tourney coming up in 2 weeks and I'm going to be using CBD to help with the table stress.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? Have any advice, comments or questions?
Does it help you guys? Or is it just a placebo?

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Be Careful with CBD

I had briefly touched upon this in my introduction thread. But I doubt it's in a place that will conger up much conversation on the subject.

I live in Canada, where the recreational use of both Marijuana and CBD products are legal.
I had been hearing for some time now, about the benefits of CBD oil, when it comes to: Pain Relief, Stress, Anxiety ect.

I've personally only just recently tried out some CBD to help with some of the anxiety of making it deep in a tournament. I've found that it helps me make more concise decisions.

I don't play too much Live poker, because of my Anxiety. My hands shake a bit and get nervous and I'm afraid it's giving tells left and right. I have my first Live tourney coming up in 2 weeks and I'm going to be using CBD to help with the table stress.

Does anyone else have any experience with this? Have any advice, comments or questions?

Thank U 4 Posting

CBD oil is like the wild west right now so be careful that you are getting a safe product.
Research the oil and pay more for better quality. There is little over site so company reputation is what matters.

It is difficult to check the placebo effect without you doing a blind study on you. You may try to use a heart rate monitor and use that to see if the CBD is having an actual physical effect on you. You have to experiment on yourself.

Hope this helps

:):)

X

xy23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also have anxiety which makes poker a bit difficult at times. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to play on CBD though. Every single time I took it, it made me way too sleepy lol

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This wont help you live, but online I find if I play more tables I worry less about bad beats and you dont have time to be anxious because you have to move onto the next decision. Its kinda like some therapists having patients do math problems when they are anxious. When your mind has to focus on problem solving you dont have time to be anxious or at least thats the theory.

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If it works for you then fantastic.

But if you become too dependent on it (or anything really) then you won't be able to play deep or a final table without it. And what if you reach in your pocket and the CBD is not there? Panic? Just a thought.

Good luck !

T

tmsr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I live in Canada, where the recreational use of both Marijuana and CBD products are legal.

I take CBD gummies quite often and I find it's very good for relaxing. I think it's worth trying out for live poker, but you have to figure out what the right amount is for you, and like another post mentioned, make sure you have enough in case you go for a long time and maybe need a bit more. It would suck to make it late into a tournament and have the anxiety take over.

Sometimes when I play online, I just have some cannabis and play some freerolls for fun. Extremely relaxing :)

Legalization has been pretty solid (except Ontario, where they messed it up so badly)

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have serious nerve pain from an accident 17 years ago. I have tried Pot and it works for both pain and anxiety. I think that if it works for you use it as needed !

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are worried that your anxiety will be a tell to the other players, you can relax. Most players show a little anxiety over a great hand like pocket aces, but then they also show the same anxiety indicators when trying to pull off a big bluff...so, there is really no tell because your opponents will not be able to distinguish which is which...at least initially. When I first started to play live poker, I was worried that my ears turning red when my blood pressure went up would be a tell, until my son pointed out to me that it happened far too often, and with both great and lousy hands to make a difference. As a result, I now play live with no sunglasses to cover my eyes, no hoodie to cover my face and ears, no scarf to cover my Adam's apple...I'm still very much a casual amateur who's not really that good, but I don't need a 30 lb. backpack to carry all the stuff to hide behind.

EddMaster

EddMaster

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I also have anxiety which makes poker a bit difficult at times. I don’t think I’ll ever be able to play on CBD though. Every single time I took it, it made me way too sleepy lol

If you smoke try CBD buds, because CBD bud makes me more alert than usual. That way you might notice a difference in your anxiety levels as well as the added bonus of being more aware of your surroundings. You might just end up noticing more tells too

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can still get addicted to it despite the effect is pretty mild... I prefer just a healthy way of life, being hydrated, maybe some essential oils, but that's all.
Please explain to us how you can become addicted to a nonaddictive substance. I'm curious to know.

EddMaster

EddMaster

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Please explain to us how you can become addicted to a nonaddictive substance. I'm curious to know.

It’s a mental (psychological) addiction, not a physical (chemical) addiction. Usually it comes down to habitual use.

zinzir

zinzir

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why limit yourself to CBD man, try doing heroin and meth at the same time. You'll be so focused yet relaxed that you'll not even need to play poker any more, you'll be happy to just lie on your back and watch the ceiling.

PS: That was a joke, don't do drugs, legal or not, they all taxing on your body, mind, and soul.

newelis74

newelis74

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Naaa calm my friend, of course it can be very useful! If it is for you then use it to your advantage. Nothing better than feeling good, right?

Evan Jarvis

Evan Jarvis

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

CBD is fantastic and will greatly help in these situations without a doubt.

I have used CBD in good doses and had less anxiety in social situations, less anxiety playing poker, just less anxiety all around.

I would've mix THC with poker as it can greatly cloud the thought process and lead to making less than stellar decisions (at least that's been my experience).

But CBD is an awesome medicine to use and it will definitely help you with live tournaments. I'd advise getting a simple yoga practice going as well so you can practice deep breathing to keep your nervous system calm. Put that together with your CBD and you will be a chill machine on the tables my friend.

Good luck in the tournament!

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
My Wife has always been against using Marijuana as a recreational drug and frowned on it when I used it, which was on rare occasions, (parties with friends) etc. She called me a closet Junkie because I would not buy any but would share the odd spliff with friends.
But as she got older and started to get a lot of pain from her arthritis a Doctor advised her to try CBD oil and she now uses it regularly to ease her pain, she didn't realise where it came from and now I call her a closet Junkie, just for fun.
It does have a lot of benefits that can help in a multitude of different ways.

When the fun Stops, STOP!

toni_brasco

toni_brasco

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are worried that your anxiety will be a tell to the other players, you can relax. Most players show a little anxiety over a great hand like pocket aces, but then they also show the same anxiety indicators when trying to pull off a big bluff...so, there is really no tell because your opponents will not be able to distinguish which is which...at least initially. When I first started to play live poker, I was worried that my ears turning red when my blood pressure went up would be a tell, until my son pointed out to me that it happened far too often, and with both great and lousy hands to make a difference. As a result, I now play live with no sunglasses to cover my eyes, no hoodie to cover my face and ears, no scarf to cover my Adam's apple...I'm still very much a casual amateur who's not really that good, but I don't need a 30 lb. backpack to carry all the stuff to hide behind.

I really like your comment, it is very difficult to say whether my ears are red because of the good or the bad hand, so need no cover as well...

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe its just me but if I use too much CBD I feel partially stoned without being high. I have to keep dose low.

D

dukgen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My take is if you weren't born with it, you probably don't need it. Quit smoking, and broke up with Mary Jane before CBD was around.

Chief talking bull

Chief talking bull

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My take is if you weren't born with it, you probably don't need it. Quit smoking, and broke up with Mary Jane before CBD was around.

You do realize that you are born with an endocannabinoid system and the cannabinoids in cannabis are similar to those found in breast milk?

R

Roger1960

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They legalized hemp for all uses in the US at the federal level. Instead of pot that has Delta 9, Hemp products have Delta 8. I have read and found myself that the hemp products don't have a lot of paranoia or anxiety that 9 would give.
I find it more relaxing, just hope my area doesn't screw it up.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't smoke or take any cannabis products, so my answer is in regards to your hands shaking. If they are shaking all of the time regardless of your hand, I wouldn't worry about it because you aren't giving any information away. If it is only one of them, and the type of hand is causing the shake, just play with your chips the way a lot of players do.

andreypuch

andreypuch

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Every year, doping is used by an increasing mass of players. And so far, the poker community is far from introducing checks for the presence of prohibited drugs in the blood of participants. Moreover, there are more and more advertisements promoting the use of new drugs.

How should I treat this? There are many nuances here. First, no matter what doping is, no matter how much it improves concentration, no matter how much endurance it brings to a player, it will not give him anything in strategic terms and will not teach him to play differently than he has played so far. As the players say, " doping will not teach you to hit the ball, but because of it, the ball will fly a meter more." However, is it fair if you keep your mind fresh when all the players at the table are already tired? This will change the psychology, and therefore the strategy, and the result of the game!

Of course, there is doping in poker. To accept or not to accept, that's the question? The decision, of course, is yours, however, before using something forbidden, think about your health, maybe it is more expensive than all the money? To become a drug addict and shorten the years of your life just in order to earn money that will not even pay for treatment is at least stupid.