Small Buy-In MTTs - What to expect?

J

JaqkAttaqk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello.

I recently played in a small MTT tournament and was generally surprised at how other players approached the tournament. The tournament was actually a freeroll and players could rebuy and add on up until the first break. There were about 140 players that registered and I essentially NIT'd my way to the final table. I could have continue the strategy and gotten to maybe 6th, but decided to play for the win instead and went out in 9th as a result (K9s on CO ran into AQo on BB with about 7BBs left).

First, does anyone have recommendation on keeping track of the number of chips you have in terms of BBs? About half-way through the tournament, my head started swimming in keeping track of where I stood with respect to the blinds. Tips are appreciated!

The item that probably surprised me the most was the number of open limps and limp behinds; even at the final table by players who had less than 10 BBs in their stack. Am I correct in believing that consistently open-limping is still a poor strategy even in late-stage live tournaments where most players have 15BBs at most? I expected to see this at the early stages, but assumed the practice would fade away as we got to the later stages.

The second question I have is also late-tournament. Once I get down to about 15BBs I generally took the approach of shove or fold pre-flop. I was not alone in this approach, but it was not common. Example: tall stack (maybe 25BB) raised to 5BB from button, BB shoved to 9BB, Button folded pocket 3s. Was this just an all around bad play for the button? I probably would have just shoved the 3s from the get-go or let them go. I certainly thick calling the raise would have been more appropriate at that point. Thoughts?

As far as overall strategy, I started with a typical range and was often finding myself in 3+ way pots or everyone would just fold. After an hour or so of this, I changed my strategy by significantly tightening my range and betting larger (I played button like HJ, CO like LJ, etc.). I'd love to hear thoughts on if this is a good approach or if I should start incorporating more prospective hands in my range when I can see a flop for cheap (like high suited connectors).

Overall it was a fun tournament. It was not at all what I expected so I'm mostly looking for thoughts on if this is typical for this type of Tourny and suggestions on how to adjust.

Thanks!

K

Keslerkarter

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
most players in these tournaments play very loose, so i would say its hard to gauge the habits of other players, and i think i found that with three or more players in a hand say i have 6-7 6-8 7-9 9-j ... with those loose players or someone thats enticed with a good hand usually go all in, or make a huge bet all have high good hands. so less higher cards to be on the board after flop gives good potential for the under dog win

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hello.

I recently played in a small MTT tournament and was generally surprised at how other players approached the tournament. The tournament was actually a freeroll and players could rebuy and add on up until the first break. There were about 140 players that registered and I essentially NIT'd my way to the final table. I could have continue the strategy and gotten to maybe 6th, but decided to play for the win instead and went out in 9th as a result (K9s on CO ran into AQo on BB with about 7BBs left).

First, does anyone have recommendation on keeping track of the number of chips you have in terms of BBs? About half-way through the tournament, my head started swimming in keeping track of where I stood with respect to the blinds. Tips are appreciated!

The item that probably surprised me the most was the number of open limps and limp behinds; even at the final table by players who had less than 10 BBs in their stack. Am I correct in believing that consistently open-limping is still a poor strategy even in late-stage live tournaments where most players have 15BBs at most? I expected to see this at the early stages, but assumed the practice would fade away as we got to the later stages.

The second question I have is also late-tournament. Once I get down to about 15BBs I generally took the approach of shove or fold pre-flop. I was not alone in this approach, but it was not common. Example: tall stack (maybe 25BB) raised to 5BB from button, BB shoved to 9BB, Button folded pocket 3s. Was this just an all around bad play for the button? I probably would have just shoved the 3s from the get-go or let them go. I certainly thick calling the raise would have been more appropriate at that point. Thoughts?

As far as overall strategy, I started with a typical range and was often finding myself in 3+ way pots or everyone would just fold. After an hour or so of this, I changed my strategy by significantly tightening my range and betting larger (I played button like HJ, CO like LJ, etc.). I'd love to hear thoughts on if this is a good approach or if I should start incorporating more prospective hands in my range when I can see a flop for cheap (like high suited connectors).

Overall it was a fun tournament. It was not at all what I expected so I'm mostly looking for thoughts on if this is typical for this type of Tourny and suggestions on how to adjust.

Thanks!

Personally, I think trying to remember the amount of BB they have is not the best way to do it. I Just try to keep in mind what their stack size is. It's just easier this way and when I am about to play a hand I can convert over to BB if needed.

As for their play, in this type of game the play is not Overy great. I would not recommend niting up or even playing their game. If you play good smart poker, you will do better long term. Yes, there will be bad times buts that's OK.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I convert all tables to 'bb's' (also the Hand Replayers into bb's ). I do this for MTT and also for cash.

lincolnroyal

lincolnroyal

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You have to set up the subtle connections to play... live freerolls go up very fast so I prefer to do volume to be able to find the best hand for Allin

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
try to isolate short-stack limpers by going all-in, well, in such tournaments, in general, you need to play looser and more aggressively, you should try to use every opportunity to increase your stack

johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello.

Thanks!
What site were you playing on? Some online clients allow you to change between big blinds and chips in the preferences menu, so I'd suggest looking into that. High frequency limping is pretty normal for $2 and under MTTs with trash hands that fold flop as you saw, so if you play more bottom stake or FR games this will be the norm. Your approach is correct, though over time you'll want to start adding in more hands to your tight range that can make strong hands post flop (i.e. pocket pairs, suited aces, etc...).

One tip, when you're at any FT, always keep in mind how your stack compares tot he rest of the table. The higher the chance there is of other people going out before you the tighter you'll want to play as you "lose" a lot of money by busting final tables when you could have just waited for someone else to lose. The exception is if you're chip lead, then you can take advantage of other people being at risk by playing looser.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
lots of fishes and loose play.
But in theory one can adapt to anyhting :)
It's definetly more luck involved than in higher stakes.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Hello.

Thanks!
I hear you, micro MTT’s and especially freeroll with micro rebuts/top ups are bingo/limp crazy.... If I ever play them (especially on Stars) I tend to if freerolls accept an exit without rebuying as it tends to be a reoccurring instance as the larger stakes of initial luck, tend to keep that ridiculous luck with donkey hands. The RNG doesn’t appear random at all with the larger stake wiping multiple players over and over with worse hands repeatedly inducing rebuys from the victims.... Obviously those freerolls you chip up and last till the add-on break where said chips for that same rebuy cost is worth while as it’s 10x the value. Satellites and Micro rebuys are less limp/shove bingo however and I’d suggest gauging by situation rather then standings.... The tables can be influenced massively fo m a solo to couple of consistent shovers... fold to them and stop the limping and they will alter their approach 8 times out of 10.

As for the BBs, PS recently added a Beta analysts window to the top right corner, you also have the option within settings to change your table info to show BBs rather than chop total. You can also stop I’ll see the chips possessed by yourself and the other player by simply hovering over the stacks and player table credentials. Alongside the Beta analysis drop down window, playing such MTTs and mostly every format is so much more engulfing..... I’ve only recently switched to using a desktop kind so I’m not 100% how long it’s been there but its definitely beneficial and welcomed in my opinion.

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Call it brain freeze for the moment which if it isn’t have a good laugh as I will lol, but what is HJ and LJ? I’m assuming CO I see Cut Off lol. As for your approach I’d say it’s productive, suited connectors and hands you can see cheap flops with that can potentially mislead and crush specific hands and what not are the most returnable. Dynamics of a table should never be 101 text book to have an edge.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are online, and want to calculate your BBs, use a calculator -add 2/3 of the antes to the big blind and divide your stack by it. You really want to be looking at effective stack size though, so look at the smallest stack size that is involved and divide that by (2/3 the antes +the BB).

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have dodged freerolls simply because I want to play against people that have “something” to lose…my advice in a recreational tournament is to just to play in position and dont get fancy..it’s all I do and usually make it to the final table or close enough to where I feel content with busting out if I dont cash out…this is playing against recreational players..If I were to play higher stakes I would change it up dramatically

Don’t drink, it will give you liquid courage and start doing something stupid like playing J4 suited aggressively from late position lol

Watch the cards players play, especially under the influence, exploit them, if you see players playing cards like A6 off from mid position that is a great sign to 3-bet that player most orbits lol

Also pick a bet size and stay with it, you can trap and go all in etc, but don’t adjust your raise by the strength of your hand. Pick a raise size for preflop and a raise size for other streets..just don’t reveal the strength of your hands to other players by your raise sizing.

I do get out of line and play loose, but I wait for the right time and players to do so. It all just comes down to how you feel. You really can’t go wrong playing good solid poker against recreational players…:)

One other note is most players care about not “looking stupid” which means 4-betting will cause a lot of players to fold simply because they care about how they look. Who cares :) Listen for anyone that brags about winning a tournament or how good they are, I will shove 25 suited Heads up just because I know their ego will make them fold to keep from “looking stupid” unless they have the nuts lol

Last edited:
kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I have dodged freerolls simply because I want to play against people that have “something” to lose…my advice in a recreational tournament is to just to play in position and dont get fancy..it’s all I do and usually make it to the final table or close enough to where I feel content with busting out if I dont cash out…this is playing against recreational players..If I were to play higher stakes I would change it up dramatically

Don’t drink, it will give you liquid courage and start doing something stupid like playing J4 suited aggressively from late position lol

Watch the cards players play, especially under the influence, exploit them, if you see players playing cards like A6 off from mid position that is a great sign to 3-bet that player most orbits lol

Also pick a bet size and stay with it, you can trap and go all in etc, but don’t adjust your raise by the strength of your hand. Pick a raise size for preflop and a raise size for other streets..just don’t reveal the strength of your hands to other players by your raise sizing.

I do get out of line and play loose, but I wait for the right time and players to do so. It all just comes down to how you feel. You really can’t go wrong playing good solid poker against recreational players…:)

One other note is most players care about not “looking stupid” which means 4-betting will cause a lot of players to fold simply because they care about how they look. Who cares :) Listen for anyone that brags about winning a tournament or how good they are, I will shove 25 suited Heads up just because I know their ego will make them fold to keep from “looking stupid” unless they have the nuts lol

Absolutely spot on what you've said there P.Study 🔥🖤🔥..... Regarding the raising bet sizing, it’s a mistake I see from so many players at lower stakes . Though, and as an observation from my less than fortnight back on deskstop (ipad playing if I did for at least 8 to 10 years 🙈).... There are a large number of solid players micro multi-tabling, many hitting the freerolls with rebuy options. I feel green again after so long away from serious poker play online. Think it was shortly after Full Tilt fiasco I stopped playing online, and it wasn’t a comfortable playing arena even then for me lol.... HU hyper turbos could have some ridiculously bad swings especially if I was anything other than calm and collected.

And I chuckled so hard over the table image and ego haha, sooooo true lol. 🤣😂🤣😂

Merry Christmas to you and all 🥂🎄🍾🎄🍹🎄🥃

kon44

kon44

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips

Just adding to what was said about freeroll being mayhem to contend... I’ve started playing them religiously since joining here and having the free money alongside growth of my MMT last-ability. I’ve come 8th and then 7th in the CasinoOrg one out of 3 attempts with runners in the 2.5k to 3k plus region. The defining difference in the standard of play is effected more ive come to realise and believe in the amount of starting chips and structure.

Starting with 3k as apposed to 1k makes an enormous difference as a well rounded player can capitalise more from the donkey players etc. Playing against this larger mix of opponents has definitely benefitted my game as I’m now playing the comps I would avoid due to my lack of patience for the long-haul. Ive been min and deep cashing (which is defo still min lol) many deep comps since just before this last weekend.B92B2911 0A88 4D4F 93A8 D24E0C449094