PLO vs NLH Live why the migration?

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have been noticing more and more NLH (No Limit Hold Em) players migrating to PLO (Pot Limit Omaha) lately in my local rooms. Clearly everyone can't be winning. Is the lure just that it's easier to get lucky since equities run much tighter? I've been hearing in general for some time now that many of the whales and action players left NLH for PLO some time back. Would appreciate anyone who has over a thousand hours of each game type live and can compare win rates for reference. Are the new players making larger mistakes in that game? All things being equal I feel like the edge will be smaller and variance increased and it would only make sense to transition if the Vs are weaker. But by the time I an good enough to take advantage will it be worth the effort to get up to speed? What are your thoughts?

Erik moraes

Erik moraes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This change is due to Omaha's greater dynamism and increased profitability.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This change is due to Omaha's greater dynamism and increased profitability.
Thanks, I understand the dynamic part but how can profitability be increased? It seems it should be harder to consistently win given the nature of the game and equities. Are you more profitable in PLO than NLH? If so, why do you think that is? Are opponents just making huge mistakes?

Erik moraes

Erik moraes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have more wins on the plo, I play a lot post flop and I select the hands pre flop, the players are wrong pre flop being very aggressive. play omaha pos flop

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Relatively few education materials available in PLO and skilled players edges are higher though variance is higher. More actions in the game means more mistakes made by recs.

S

scubed

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have been noticing more and more NLH (No Limit Hold Em) players migrating to PLO (Pot Limit Omaha) lately in my local rooms.
The player pool in NLHE is getting better across the board, even recreational players know a 4-bet is generally a really good hand.

PLO on the other hand the pool is not as educated. Recreational players tend to overvalue their draws and don't understand how that relates to the board texture changing. In fact, often misread the what the nuts is entirely.

If you study even a small amount you'll be better than average. I think a while back Doug Polk made some range charts for PLO on Upswing. I'm not 100% sure I'm remembering this correctly, but Google it... shouldn't be hard to find.

Good luck!

C

CTLAW

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easier to win money when there is more on your table. Pros chase and edge and money. Novice players like the fact they can bingo easier on big pots... Win win for everyone

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The player pool in NLHE is getting better across the board, even recreational players know a 4-bet is generally a really good hand.

PLO on the other hand the pool is not as educated. Recreational players tend to overvalue their draws and don't understand how that relates to the board texture changing. In fact, often misread the what the nuts is entirely.

+1, a lot of 'action' players view NLH as a 'solved' game these days with fewer and fewer spewy whales and PLO is now seen as more of an 'action' game where these players can push their perceived edges (mostly ego related).

From the games I've seen at Del Lago, a solid tighter player can have a good hourly against these 'action' players.

Organize a Home Poker Game