Physical and timing tells when facing a river bet/raise

M

MrUnlikely

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When trying to decide whether to call on the river, a very common occurrence is that players will take a quick glance at your eyes- for example, they will look down at their chips, play with them a bit, then quickly glance at your eyes, and immediately look back at their chips or whatever they were looking at. What are they looking for? This is very common among professionals that I see on YouTube.

If you are caught looking at them, is that a sign of strength?

Once I was caught looking at their chips.... I later decided that was probably a sign of strength. I had made a large bet and looking at their chips was because I wanted them.

If bluffing, players don't care about whether they get raised, so they may not be as interested in the chips? They just want to know if you call or fold.

What do you think they are looking for? Do you use any tells to help you make a decision?

How do you feel about a very quick bet after the river card is dealt, or a very quick raise after you bet the river? Does it make any difference to you?

Most raises at low stakes occur very quickly or after a few seconds. Would a long pause before a raise make you lean more towards strength or weakness? The fact that it was well considered makes me think it is less likely it is a punt. I would expect this with perhaps 2nd or 2nd nut flush when they are not sure whether you have straight, a weaker flush, or the nut flush? I think it would be the nuts regularly too. I once heard a pro say "I should have bluffed but I have left it too long", which I took to mean that his bluff would not be believable because betting after much thought looks bluffy? If that is so, then is betting value hands after a minutes consideration more likely to get called?

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When i play live, i never give eye contact - even when i am spoken to, i had one guy once say - why are you not looking at me - which made me laugh so i countered it with a - you just too handsome man and that made the table laugh and changed the dynamic, i have always adopted this policy, minimal if no chat and i never look at stacks, i just play my own cards and keep to a consistent opening range unless im stacked and i want to mix it up a little to force the play or put pressure on bubble players who become nitty and wait for aces and premiums,
You can gain a lot of information from players who appear over interested, play fast and also slow as well as want to enter the stare game - i just dont play that game and stick to poker!

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are off position playing a heads up hand, Villain triple barrel you preflop, flop turn and then All in on the river, watch for this:
If he verbally :"I'm all in" and throw a single chip into the middle....you should fold. That's 100% a genuine hand
But if he push all his stack into the middle or even if he is left with a small potion into the middle...you can snap call him. He probably missed his draw with AK

Go observe it yourself. Most of the time when player shout the all in verbally are genuine hand.

Poker Tells