Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
What do you think is the most difficult thing about switching from online to in-person poker?

From my perspective as a newbie, it is difficult to identify what is happening at the table. Sometimes people go so fast that I don't even know if it's my turn. 😂

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
What do you think is the most difficult thing about switching from online to in-person poker?

From my perspective as a newbie, it is difficult to identify what is happening at the table. Sometimes people go so fast that I don't even know if it's my turn. 😂
I went from live to online so I can't really give any tips on switching the other way. I do have a suggestion for your problem about sometimes not being able to tell when your turn comes. I'd suggest keeping an eye on the player to your right and when they check-call-raise you'll know it is your turn.

A rule that isn't really enforced at all, and I think it should be, is that the cards must be visible and on the table. The people who fold their hands over their cards can lead to confusion over whether they are in or out of the hand.

Berandir

Berandir

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
When I started playing live, I had difficulty with the chips! It may seem funny, but computers make us uncomfortable. but over time it got better

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The live dealer runs the table.

Nothing happens without their knowing about it - and if they don't know or hear correctly - then it won't happen...lol

Always talk to the dealer. It's not important if the rest of the table hears you - but it is very important that the dealer hears and understands your verbalized actions.

Be clear - enunciate - and don't mumble.

Here is a poker term to find out who's turn it is.....

Ask the dealer, "Where is the action?"

Often the answer is, "It's on you!" - at least when I'm asking...

Sometimes I ask the dealer to just let me know when it's my turn to act.

The dealer is your friend at the table and their job is to move the play along smoothly.

Good luck !

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Having to do your own math. Not that it's difficult but it's just one more thing not done for you at the table as opposed to online.
Also, probably the betting itself. Announce the amount your betting/raising to when possible.

Veralt

Veralt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The dealer is your friend at the table and their job is to move the play along smoothly.
I hadn't thought of it that way, that's very good advice. It's logical, but sometimes one misses the obvious.