Live poker reads, what tells to look out for?

C

chrisS999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IM
Chips
Can't see a thread for this so thought well worth creating one.

Can the CC community share in comments experiences they have had with tells and/or live reads that have turned out to be correct so that we may all become better players, both hiding our tells and spotting them.

One tell/read I can share to get things started that I have seen time and time again is allot of players when dealt a 'big hand pre' pull their cards closer, put a hand or place holder on them or display some sort of other protection method. Likewise allot of the time weaker hands pre slightly push cards away and lean back with nothing near their cards kind of abandoning them.

Would lover to hear your thoughts so we can test some theories and improve.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Hello brother.

Some advice that was given to me many years ago by a great friend and compatriot who played live poker in Europe and was a Pro player.
1 ° If you are afraid do not play, preferable buy yourself a good guard dog.
2° Be nice at the table, but don't waste time in conversations that lead to nothing. That time occupy it in observing the movements of your adversaries in all positions.
3° Observe all the hands. Any information you may have on your opponents can be positive for a hand you play against them.
4° Do not be afraid of players with bad faces. Preferably have respect for the players with the face of a little lamb.
5° Always try to discover recreational players. They go to many hands and in general when they see their cards all of them are good.
6° If you consider that your hand is good, do not hesitate to bet. In general, there will always be a player who is also interested in that hand. Remember that the success of the MTT is always going up your stack.
7th If your hand is good enough, don't check unless it's the nuts at that moment. If another player wants to see his project that pays to see it, do not give him the opportunity to see it for free.

Well brother those were some of my friend's tips.

Greetings see you:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have read Zachary ellwood's books and have been fascinated by them, and if you can retain them to memory, I think they are a phenomenal toolset to your toolbox. I (even though I have Hyperthymesia) seem to draw a blank to all of his wisdom during live rec tourney games. Perhaps, I am just not cut out for poker (who knows). What I do know is that I use my instincts and so far they usually get me to the FT...I can say that there is absolute benefits to taking your time, to letting them tell the story without saying a thing. I learned this not actually from a poker book, but from a cop ironically (and from a famous actress, who studies an entire round of doing, but who believes that shit right?). If you just take the time, they say the story. There is a balance of time and study (somewhere) I haven't exactly figured it out yet, where people just get uncomfortable being silent hahah..if you can capitalize on that, well, that may be an angle.

I played dumb with pocket aces and looked to motion for a drink against a cocky player... and he shoved, I called and took down 3 bounties since another felt the same thing. (a moment) A setup.

I was up against 3 aces on a board while holding a pair of kings, and the river hit a (cant remember) lets just say a duece. I asked, do you have the the case ace? And the tenseness and adams apple showed me he had "air". It just comes to moments like that IMO, you just have to let them tell the story, glide slow and play it out:)

Damn, I am now missing this game lol

Last edited:
takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Believe it or not... Detective shows and true crime docs. I almost feel like I'm opening a secret closet, here, and letting the cat out of Narnia. I'm quite serious when I recommend this. My favorite show for this is Monk. Yes, I know it's scripted but that's secondary to the situations that are portrayed.
The true crime docs are hit and miss, sometimes. Picking a good one can be tricky but I try to stay away from the ones that have too many recreated scenes and actor portrayals. The one's w/the real investigators and suspects/victims' "posse" seem to be more helpful in their portrayal of the crime.
The reason I include this type of show/lesson is because of the similarities between a homicide investigation and a poker hand. They both have you examine the situation from all angles and work your way backwards to the beginning.
The insight given is quite similar to putting a player on the correct read for the correct action of play. I think it helps my game a bit, plus they can be quite entertaining to an inquisitive mind. Enjoy.

L

LOKIE77

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your first tell is spot on for beginners as they are protecting their hand as it is a good hand they will likely bet or raise with. I just look for betting patterns bet big with strong hand and weak with weak hands or same size bet on flop and turn is a marginal made hand like bottom pair. Watch hoe they play their draws, do they semi bluff? Do they talk alot then get quiet when they have a hand they want to play? or sit up straight when they made a good hand on the flop etc.

duqnuk

duqnuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This isn't exactly a tell but I've notice that when you put pressure in a single opponent, let's say, raising or shoving, He might look for his chips like he's thinking about calling just to see your reaction.
Other than that no, I still need some experience in live poker.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
This isn't exactly a tell but I've notice that when you put pressure in a single opponent, let's say, raising or shoving, He might look for his chips like he's thinking about calling just to see your reaction.
Other than that no, I still need some experience in live poker.
Hello brother.
In general, the push hand on a flop almost everyone calls you.
Because there are 4 alternatives, either you have a good game, or you have a high or medium card, or you have a semi-bluff, or you are directly bluffing.
And they also call because they can have a draw, or else a play that your Brazilian colleagues have very well oiled in particular is calling a flush draw on the flop without even having a card in their hands with the same color.
If the card that completes the color comes out on the next street, there they begin to send in hand with their kkkkkkkk bluff.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
My regards, brother:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

C

chrisS999

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
IM
Chips
Thanks for all the great posts so far, hopefully we get more.

duqnuk

duqnuk

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello brother.
In general, the push hand on a flop almost everyone calls you.
Because there are 4 alternatives, either you have a good game, or you have a high or medium card, or you have a semi-bluff, or you are directly bluffing.
And they also call because they can have a draw, or else a play that your Brazilian colleagues have very well oiled in particular is calling a flush draw on the flop without even having a card in their hands with the same color.
If the card that completes the color comes out on the next street, there they begin to send in hand with their kkkkkkkk bluff.:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
My regards, brother:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:
That's true! haha

I can imagine myself representing a flush too sometimes xD
Nice Insight as always jonasello!

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
That's true! haha

I can imagine myself representing a flush too sometimes xD
Nice Insight as always jonasello!
Hello duq brother how are you???
kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk did you see that it's true???
But beware, I told you that they have that play very well oiled because she has a trick.
The hand has to come mainly weak and to see the flop.
And in general in their hands they have a semibluff, some rare hand that they are waiting for a letter to be fulfilled.
And before the turn they must go heads up with the opponent who generally bets on your top pair or hands of that type.
And from then on if the flush comes out it's raise after raise after raise until the end.
I don't know if others invented that hand first, which I'm sure your compatriots handle almost perfectly.
Ahhh another detail, especially doing it with players who have a lower stack than yours. Because when going to the end allin these with their top pair hesitate and generally fold because they don't know if they have the nuts, which in theory villain has with his flush.
Try it in an MTT where you see a compatriot of yours who shows to be aggressive, when that hand comes out try it and you will see that 70% of it is a bluff kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
And if not, watch the hands of your compatriots with other players many times and that hand will appear very often kkkkkkkkkkkk
We are different in that sense, we play firmer. You have to be careful of an Argentine when he checks kkkkkkkkk in general he always has something and hides it.
Believe it or not, all nationalities have their way of playing, and it doesn't change much in most situations.
But I have posted more than once that the style of your compatriots is one of the ones I like the most, they are really fun playing kkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk
Greetings brother and Happy Easter:giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

Organize a Home Poker Game Poker Tells