Live Poker Buy In

karthos

karthos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play the 1/2 NLH at my poker room. I see a lot of players buy in a ridiculous number of times. I take a set amount usually around $100 and when I lose it I leave sometimes I wonder if maybe I should have a larger buy in. I also set an amount of time I play win or lose. Any thoughts or advice I could use to help make it more profitable? Whats your strategy?

B

bla1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No, you play perfect.

I thought maybe to take another $100 if you lost to bad player. But bad player can have a luck so he can take another $100? No, you play perfect. Also, to set a time helps to escape tilt or euphoria. Did you come up with it yourself?

G

Gildog89

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to buy in for the table maximum and keep extra chips off the table so I can top up if I lose some pots early on. It gives you more flexibility in your play and allows you to get full value when you make a big hand.

B

bla1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, maybe to set a time doesn't help to escape tilt or euphoria since you should play some amount of time. But at least you have limit $100.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I play the 1/2 NLH at my poker room. I see a lot of players buy in a ridiculous number of times. I take a set amount usually around $100 and when I lose it I leave sometimes I wonder if maybe I should have a larger buy in. I also set an amount of time I play win or lose. Any thoughts or advice I could use to help make it more profitable? Whats your strategy?

I think the best teacher is your own observations so I would ask you "How do the folks that show with the table maximum play like vs the folks that show up $100 or with $60 doing chip tricks with their entire stack in their hands about to rebuy again and again and again?"

Try to think about why they show up with those table amounts and the reasoning behind it.

Then I want you ask yourself "which one do you want to play like and why?"

No right or wrong answer, just something to think about.

GL

N

Niykk

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$100 in my opinion is simply not enough. To feel comfortable I need at least 150 BBs. In your case this translates to $300. Good luck

karthos

karthos

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is my strategy

No, you play perfect.

I thought maybe to take another $100 if you lost to bad player. But bad player can have a luck so he can take another $100? No, you play perfect. Also, to set a time helps to escape tilt or euphoria. Did you come up with it yourself?
It is a strategy I set fr myself I feel like it keeps me off tilt and knowing I have a set amount helps me make wiser decisions for the most part. I do run into the crazy player and sometimes wish I had brought extra but I chalk it up to experience and try to avoid those players next round. Sometimes I think I need to move to 2/5 NL just to break away from the Loose aggressive player but I'm sure they are at whatever level I would choose !

Organize a Home Poker Game