If a man won this hand, would he be criticized as much?

G

garpsc

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
bad all in, lucky on the river. story of my life.

M

magnus369

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think gender implies more criticism, I don't know if you remember the player who made the final table at the 2018 Caribbean Adventure, Lampropulos, who made up a Queen high call on a terribly scary board, she was also the target of huge criticism, and there are several times that men also make dubious moves and are fiercely criticized by all. I think that there is a certain prejudice, I say this because I see many unpleasant situations here in brazil, the machismo is still present in society today, unfortunately. But this time I think she was criticized more for being a gambler than for being a woman player.

One thing related to this topic that I would like to know if anyone can tell me if there is any study about female representation in mind sports, like poker, I know there is one on chess, to try to understand and establish relations, but is there anything in this sense for poker? I mean, is there a study that talks about female participation at the tables?

And for you, which great female players are an inspiration?

I found the video of Maria Lampropulos' hand in the Caribean Adventure (hand starts 8:12)

Last edited:
johnnylawford

johnnylawford

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
While the tournament was on Twitch, there was a lot of criticism from the rail.

I think the play itself has been covered well in previous posts, the thing to keep in mind the 'Twitch Pro' factor. From my experience you can catch any big final table on twitch and literally any play will have 5-10 'What a punt' responses in chat. When it comes to twitch chat the best thing to do is disregard any posts about play unless it's from a player you know and respect.

tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Probably not.
In a same given situation, some people would say a man is brave, aggressive and dominant, and call a woman doing the same a out of control hysterical, a crazy witch. It happens in business, movies, politics and poker too.

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That '13" shirt guy shaking his head says it all.

One thing is going all in with A4.

Calling with A4 is just bingo play.

and yes men are criticized when they make a bad call.

Tigroslav

Tigroslav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well the 3-bet pre flop made no sence with 20bb stacks.
Either call or fold or even go all in if your oponent is loose.
So after the 3-bet mistake I guess you have to call in an attempt to erase the mistake.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In answer to the question of whether a man would get equally criticized for this hand, I would like to say yes...it was not the correct play under the circumstances...it was a gamble that paid off...gender is not an issue.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Fully Tilted
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
She doesn't seem to put him on a range.

If she did then she would realize that she is at ~30% preflop at best.

She convulses with uncertainty and then to avoid that uncomfortable emotion she calls.

So IMO if she is willing to get her equity in badly - she deserves the pot if she wins.

Do you think QQ could have gotten away from the hand if he just flatted every street?

Could he have folded the river? Not sure I would have.

But to your point - this play was so bad that she was good.

I like the 3-bet but she can't fold Ace-rag preflop for all your marbles??? - he had her covered.

I'll say it again - Bar League lol
It is ICM suicide! It's not a cash game. It's not a winner take all tournament. We don't know the payouts 'but' if they are typical of any (most) tournaments, this play by her is HUGE ICM suicide. It's terrible.... it really is that simple.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands