Did I play this hand correctly?

B

BSparrow

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys, first ever post on a poker forum.
I just need some validation that I played this particular hand correctly. Or if you would’ve played it differently.
I was in the BB with AKo in a straddled pot, blinds are 10/20 with a 40 dollar straddle. UTG opened for 160 and it folds to the SB who calls. I raise to 280 and the straddle calls. UTG 4bet jams for 650 and is called by the SB. I decide to move all in for around 2600 and the straddle folds. The SB tanks and eventually made the call with 9 5 of hearts... (this is a man with very deep pockets and a true gambler apparently).
The utg turns over Q 10s so I’m in good shape. Unfortunately, the SB ends up winning when he flops a 5 and no help with the runout.

I couldn’t believe he would consider a call here. Should I have just called and evaluated the flop or was jamming the correct move?
Thanks

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Questions I have
1) Why the min-raise 3bet? If your purpose was to get the UTG to go AI then I'm fine with it.

2) Did you have the SB identified as a loose gambler prior to this hand starting?

This hand looks standard to me for a loose live game with 'gamblers' in play.

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have never played for such large stakes, but it may have been more cautious to just call and reevaluate from there.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am not as much of a cash game player so I will stay away from the strategy on this hand but it this is how people play at 10/20 I may need to start playing there. 95s and he called. Holly cow that's just crazy.

C

Criminal Bizzy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The first thing to think about is that you are out of position of the straddler (UTG) and the open raiser (UTG+1). The small blind calls giving you a great spot to squeeze but I think your bet size is way to small. Because you have a premium and the fact that you will be out of position you can size up your bet. Typically what is recommended in most educational poker strategy material is going to be about 3-5x the original bet.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about the small blind call. If that player wants to gamble then they will gamble. It happens but when you have a hand like the one you have, you want to raise the pot and extract as much value as possible.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys, first ever post on a poker forum.
I just need some validation that I played this particular hand correctly. Or if you would’ve played it differently.
I was in the BB with AKo in a straddled pot, blinds are 10/20 with a 40 dollar straddle. UTG opened for 160 and it folds to the SB who calls. I raise to 280 and the straddle calls. UTG 4bet jams for 650 and is called by the SB. I decide to move all in for around 2600 and the straddle folds. The SB tanks and eventually made the call with 9 5 of hearts... (this is a man with very deep pockets and a true gambler apparently).
The utg turns over Q 10s so I’m in good shape. Unfortunately, the SB ends up winning when he flops a 5 and no help with the runout.

I couldn’t believe he would consider a call here. Should I have just called and evaluated the flop or was jamming the correct move?
Thanks

Thank you for posting

When our Villains play exploitatively the most EV+ strategy is to also play exploitatively. What does that mean in this game? We may want to see flops before getting our stack in. While we have good raw equity with AK it is a hand as in this case that does not win without hitting versus calling stations. In a game like this, in a spot like this, versus V like this we can play AK like pocket 22's. We call and try to hit but do not build big pots preflop.
The reason we can do this is our V will give us many opportunities to get their stacks when we have better equity versus their ranges. Therefore we do not need to realize our raw equity preflop we can wait and crush them post flop.

Hope this helps
:):):)

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hmm the action doesn't make sense - what seat is the straddle? How can you raise in the BB, the straddler call, and UTG raise??

Was straddler UTG and the raiser UTG1?

L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Going with that assumption,

From the UTG1's perspective this is a reasonable steal spot, he is short and all of the ranges he is against are quite wide - UTG is a straddle and thus a wide calling range, SB is a loose gambler, and the BB looks like a squeeze. He is shoving 650 to win 910. When called he is typically looking at one caller with a range of KK+,AK - with 30% equity. Assuming this works 50% then

.5*910 + .5(.3*1560 - .7*650) = 461.5

Even if it only works 20% of the time he is still profiting.

.2*910 + .8(.3*1560 - .7*650) = 192.4
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]
[/FONT]
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]Now then, your rejam.

Assume UTG1 who we'll give a range of 1/3 bluffs 2/3 value
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
Say - KK+, AKs, QTs, T9s, 98s, 87s, AKo
[/FONT]
Which you have about 50% equity.
[/FONT]
If you jam and loose gambler folds, gives an expectation of
.5*1560 - .5*650 = 455
[/FONT]
[FONT=NotoSans, Lato, arial, sans-serif]So now we need a calling range for loose gambler -

[/FONT]
Lets say that loose gambler plays 20% of hands versus your jam and assume he calls his nut hands and his live cards.
[/FONT]
Say a range of - KK+, AKs, T6s+, 95s+, 84s+, 74s+, 64s+, 54s, AKo, T6o+, 95o+, 85o+, 75o+, 65o
[/FONT]
So 80% of the time when you jam, you have 50% equity (from above); and 20% of the time you jam - you have 35% equity for the main pot, and 61% equity for the side pot

Main pot expectation when called = .35*(2210) - .65*650 = 351
Side pot expectation when called = .61 * 1950 - .39 * 1950 = 429

So .8 * 455 + .2 (351+429) = 520 - so clearly a jam

Lets say loose gambler calls with a tighter range 5% (99+, AQ+)

Then

Main pot expectation when called = .28*(2210) - .72*650 = 151
Side pot expectation when called = .49 * 1950 - .51 * 1950 = -39

.95*455 + .05*(151 -39) = 437.9 - also a clear jam

So it looks like it is a profitable jam regardless of whether loose gambler has a wide or tight calling range.

Last edited:
L

LetterRip

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We can also see how big a mistake the 95s call is,

Again we use UTG 2/3 value, 1/3 bluff; we can assume your rejam is KK+, AK

Against these ranges, 95s has 22.7% equity.

He is calling 2600 to win a pot of 1950+2600

So 22.7% * (1950+2600) - 77.3% * 2600 = - 977

A fairly expensive call.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands