Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I'm curious to see what the average amount of bullets are that you fire into a fairly large live tournament? How many times would you buy-in before you just gave up if it just wasn't your day?

In the past, I've been a one-and-done type of person. But, I've fired that second bullet if I've gotten knocked out early with better success than my first, before.

I figure it would depend on the buy-in, what level it is when you'd end up buying back in and such, and how big the tourney is. But do you put a limit on it?

spunka

spunka

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends, if I did qualify through a sattelite, i usually do not rebuy ( but I will addon if possible).
If a normal mtt where I bought in I would take 1 or 2 depending on my feel for the table if I am good compared with the other, or do I feel behind, an what stacks there is on the table, but I will normally not spew in the tournaments but be aware that others may play more lose and take advantage of that.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
It always depends on the tournament prize pool and the buy-in, if you need to invest a lot of money and there are a lot of players, it might not be a good idea to re-buy.

Personally I prefer to risk tournaments with tickets between USD30 and USD50 with a maximum of 200 players.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't rebuy and hate those tourneys that allow it...but understand the philosophy of those that do.

"If you aren't in it ,you can't win it"...but to me, it's the decreased value a rebuy offers. Your opponents’ average chip-stacks are bigger than the initial buy-in. So you rebuy and end up PF 'ing until you bust out anyway trying to double up a few times.

Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I base a re-buy/re-entry on the number of big blinds that the starting stack contains. If I've played well I do it, but if not I will go and find something else to do.

M

Maximum

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When i am knocked out in the tournaments for my bankroll i re-entry till starting stack is under 30bb . In these that i won a ticked i never re-entry

Mortis

Mortis

The Saurus
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't rebuy and hate those tourneys that allow it...but understand the philosophy of those that do.

"If you aren't in it ,you can't win it"...but to me, it's the decreased value a rebuy offers. Your opponents’ average chip-stacks are bigger than the initial buy-in. So you rebuy and end up PF 'ing until you bust out anyway trying to double up a few times.

I haven't been a big fan of rebuys, either, but I get why they do it. I just wish late registration wasn't so long in some live tournaments... like 12 hours late reg? That's crazy.

I like freezeout tourneys. And I'm usually one of those people who reg early lol. I might have to adjust my strategy in live tournaments to reg a little later in some cases, and put money back for a possible second bullet. The people who fire 6, 7, even double digit bullets are nuts.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Always have three and have always placed if I have had to use them all. I may use them all, but I find a way to (at min) break even one way or another. I think I have gone through all three once with no return, but that was in July when wsop was going on and everyone was super fit and ‘wise to the books’, even at the rec games. Playing the usual recreational home game hero’s, I always place if I ever spend three lol

Most games, I just spend one (or none) and use half for an add-on during break, even if I am the largest stack at add-on break time.

The reason I use three is because I am about 90% certain that if I bust out, it ‘isn’t’ a mistake I made, but just the luck of the cards. Sometimes though, you just get a cold deck and at the same time play against great players… but that is very rare in Rec games.

In short, being cool headed, persistent and aggressive, I almost always get my money back, so that’s why I have three. I can’t say I’ll ever use a 4th, if I can’t get there by three, I just wait for a new tourney lol

I can elaborate on why I will gladly spend three at any tourney but in short it comes down to it is worth it to rebuy considering the time and effort it takes to allocate time and money to get the tournament to begin with. Just how I think of it, leaving after a single buy-in/bust out leaves me feeling like, why did I spend all this energy to get prepared and be here only to leave if I bust out once. So I give myself three chances irregardless, my mind already has the money spent as just part of the game:)
—-
ALSO: I would highly advise not doing more than 2 rebuys if the automatic shuffler isn’t working lol I saw AA 5 out of 8 hands by hand shuffle….not saying it was intentional at all, but I just don’t rebuy or feel confident to rebuy unless the card shuffling machine is working/present.

Last edited:
Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I haven't participated in any yet, but I have with me that when I do participate, it will certainly be when the bankroll is high, being able to buy at least 2 or 3 rebuys, also because I live in the interior, there are no tournaments here, so I would have to travel, hotel, in In the end, investment of time and money, so I faithfully believe that whoever goes there should have a balance for rebuys.

afecho

afecho

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It feels like a slippery slope to me to rebuy. I’ve watched so many people rebuy and keep rebuying where they’d have to win the tourney in order to come close to breaking even with their rebuy costs. I have done it a couple times but for the most part I do not rebuy.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It feels like a slippery slope to me to rebuy. I’ve watched so many people rebuy and keep rebuying where they’d have to win the tourney in order to come close to breaking even with their rebuy costs. I have done it a couple times but for the most part I do not rebuy.
Law of averages

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Law of averages

....an erroneous generalization.

Still, people sit there calculating chips in play like a savant before rebuying, the assumption *their equity* in a tourney payout is exactly equal to the proportion of chips that they hold, average stack size, and what is in play. They may see it's profitable to rebuy precisely because the $/chip value is higher for small stacks compared to big stacks...I have no idea what I'm talking about????

Is it true in practice (for the majority it obviously isn't) who knows?...i've never put any time into it tbh.

I don't think there is any good that can come from base jumping...something else I don't do, or understand...so can't really appreciate why others do it.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
As many as it takes, until the blind levels are too high or I have a stack.

Niveau1

Niveau1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
I hardly ever buy a rebuy or re-enter when I drop out. Since I'm rarely all in at the early levels, I fly out in the middle of the tournament. For a rebuy or re-entry, the stack size in BB is usually no longer suitable for a profitable game. And I lose most of my time gambling anyway.:)

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
As many as it takes, until the blind levels are too high or I have a stack.

So, for you, rebuying has proven a false economy.

I think you personally would have more success playing standard poker with your good cards.

A different but wholly superior kind of rush to be had when you elicit shove action.

R

Recreationalplayer

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It depends on the blind levels. I don't mind rebuying till I get 30BB stacks.

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I find that I play more than enough poker without doing any reentries.

S

Sopt

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SI
Chips
With the amount of tournaments PS offers in my buy-in range I'm more of a one and done player usually. Some special tournaments might make me re-buy once, but there is where I would always stop. It's true, you need to be in it to win it, but you can be in the next one scheduled as well and you can go from the start.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The large trny's will incur me to fire just 2... If it's a re-entry.
If it's a rb/ao I usually buy-in at the halfway point of late-reg and then get the initial rb and then the ao at break. After that it's elimination.
I've only tried to satellite my way into a really big one ($300K GTD) around here. There's a trny this weekend I'm looking forward to. It's the Art of Poker.
It's one of those monthly trnys that lasts 10 hrs or more. It's a re-entry so 2 max it'll be. I can't wait. 🤑🏆🤞

Attachments

• 2023-04-10.png
    2023-04-10.png
    453.6 KB · Views: 2
5TR8 FLUSH

5TR8 FLUSH

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I am also usually a one and done person with tournaments, but have paid a re-buy before. I had got knocked out early, and I still wanted to play.