Got a Question

Sheresh

Sheresh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Going to be in my first real live poker tournament tonight and as I was going over the rules and regulations I came across a rule that I couldn't quite figure out, so I was hoping someone here could clarify/explain it to me a bit better.

The rule states:

"Betting: Players must place a "Bet" or a "Raise" inside the "Bet line" IN ONE MOVE. Exception: Player may announce "raise", then match the original bet, then make an additional single move with the eventual raise.

PLAYERS WILL NOT COUNT CHIPS INSIDE THE BET LINE. IF PLAYER DOES, THEN THE ACTION WILL FORCE AN AUTOMATIC CALL. This is called a string raise and is not allowed."

What is this "Bet Line" and what exactly does this rule mean? Sorry if it is a very noobish question, but I really don't want to make myself look like an idiot, or get disqualified because I made a simple mistake.

Last edited:
stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is to stop string betting.

what string betting is, it is when you make 2 movements to bet.

what I mean is this say I bet 250 into the pot, you put out the 250 to call my raise and then you go back to your stack and grap 500 more to raise me. You can not do this, what would happen is dealer would say you just called me.

this can be stopped by you announcing raise before you put out the 250, it that case you can put out the 250 and then go back to your stack or you could just put out 750 total which would be the raise. The bet line Im assuming is a imaginary line on the table where if you put out money past that line then that is your action for the hand.

Lo-Dog

Lo-Dog

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You put your bets past the line making it official

You either place all the chips you want to raise past the line at once or declare raise and you can make two movements.

I always just declare that I am raising.

Attachments

• pokertable2.JPG
    pokertable2.JPG
    20.5 KB · Views: 65
stormswa

stormswa

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You put your bets past the line making it official

You either place all the chips you want to raise past the line at once or declare raise and you can make two movements.

I always just declare that I am raising.

lol as much as I have played live I actually have never paid attention to the line. Like you said I just usually verbally do all my betting.

Sheresh

Sheresh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok so basically I should just announce when I Raise/Call/Fold etc. So when I do call, I just put the chips far enough infront of me for the dealer to ring them in or do I actually have to push them all the way to the inside of that rectangular circle?

Sammyv1

Sammyv1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Remember all verbal declarations are considered binding, so if you say call, than you can not raise. Also if you say raise you MUST raise.

Personally I like to say raise, put in the call first, and then put in the raise. Basically the reason I do this is so I know how much I am raising!

Sheresh

Sheresh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember all verbal declarations are considered binding, so if you say call, than you can not raise. Also if you say raise you MUST raise.

Personally I like to say raise, put in the call first, and then put in the raise. Basically the reason I do this is so I know how much I am raising!

Ok, good to know, thanks everyone.

EDIT: Oh, anything I should know etiquette wise?

T

TurnipHead

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
EDIT: Oh, anything I should know etiquette wise?

Yes: You know when you get the urge to take all your clothes off and wave your wobbly one at the guy making an important decision? Well, don't do that. You'll probably get barred.

Effexor

Effexor

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here are some things I've learned.

Don't touch your cards until all cards have been dealt.

Don't ever bring your cards back past the edge of the table.

Be patient and deliberate with regards to calls / bets / raises. I always announce my intentions and make it clear what I'm doing. Then I count out the chips keeping them well back so as to avoid being accused of a string bet.

Always protect you cards. Even if you are going to fold, after you look at what you were dealt, place a chip or something on top of your cards.

Pay attention to whose turn it is and only act when it's your turn. I saw someone once get over zealous with pocket aces and the tournament director declared her hand dead because she acted out of turn.

Don't touch anyones chips, ever. I've had people drop chips on the floor next to me and all I'll do is either move so they can get them or slide them closer with my foot.

Be friendly and helpful and if you have a question ask ! Questions like "how much is it to go?" helps if you aren't clear as to how much the pot was raised for example.

The biggest thing is to pay attention. It gets annoying when the same people forget to put their blinds in.

Good luck, RELAX ! and have fun.

Sheresh

Sheresh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok so lets say theres 250 in the pot, and the guy in front of me raised 50 to make it 300, should i say "Raise 400" or "raise 100" if i wanted to make it 400 to go?

Or just say raise and put my raise in there?

I

IVEverLow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok so lets say theres 250 in the pot, and the guy in front of me raised 50 to make it 300, should i say "Raise 400" or "raise 100" if i wanted to make it 400 to go?

Say "Raise......... all in." :boxing:

aliengenius

aliengenius

Cardschat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

You can
1. say "raise to x amount"
2. "raise x amount more"
3. you can just say raise and put the call out then the raise amount
4. you can just say raise and put the whole total you want in

I would AVOID:

1. saying "raise x amount"
2. saying "raise by x amount"

both are a bit unclear, and while not illegal per se, might help you avoid some situations that you don't want to get into as a new live player.

Also, and this is important:

A single over-sized chip, without a prior verbal declaration will be considered a call. So if the bet is 25, and you throw in a black 100 chip by itself without saying anything first, then it is a call. If you want to raise, either:
1. say "raise", then throw in your chip. If you only want to raise to 75, say so. Don't throw in the chip and say raise after. The verbal declaration has to be first.
2. throw in more than the single chip (for example if you put in a 25 and a 100, then the raise is clear). Make sure you put out the chips together, not the 25 first, then the 100 (that would be a string bet as well).

Good luck!

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Beautiful poker table Lo-Dog. Is it yours? How did you get it if it is?

Sheresh

Sheresh

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I did much better then I thought I would last night. I came in 8th out of roughly 45 people. But I didn't place in the top 3 to get prize chips for the next tournament. However being as observant as I am, I had no trouble getting right into the rhythm within a few minutes of the game starting.

Live games are SO MUCH more fun then internet games. It is just a totally different game. I've definitely found my new obsession especially since there are no buy-ins, so it's free to play.

Anyways, thanks for the advice/help guys, really appreciate it.

M

muddawgg

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
got a question

I have yet to play live. The info is appreciated,I hope to play live soon..Would a cash came or a tourney be best to ist timmers?