First time playing live in £1k main

T

Twiggie1990

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

I'm a low stakes player and would consider myself to be a decent player at those stakes (around $20ish buy in).

I have sattied into the Irish Open £1k main event, but have never played live before!

I guess I'm just sort of looking for some generic advice. I am keeping my expectations low of course. I will go and have a nice holiday and even a min cash would be a nice score.

But having never played live, and definitely never playing a £1k I don't really know what to expect.

I have heard plenty about live cash being extremely soft. Will there still be plenty of whales even in a £1k tournament? Should I just nit it up and hope somebody gives me a stack? I feel like a main event is something alot of recs would take a stab at just for an experience rather than the side events.

Will there be people opening 8bb like I have heard about in cash games?

Any advice / tips would be great so I have some idea of what I'm getting myself in for?

Thanks!

maestro121920

maestro121920

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
just enjoy the experience and just play your usual game adjust according to your opponent and hope that good variance will be with you

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi guys,

I'm a low stakes player and would consider myself to be a decent player at those stakes (around $20ish buy in).

I have sattied into the Irish Open £1k main event, but have never played live before!

I guess I'm just sort of looking for some generic advice. I am keeping my expectations low of course. I will go and have a nice holiday and even a min cash would be a nice score.

But having never played live, and definitely never playing a £1k I don't really know what to expect.

I have heard plenty about live cash being extremely soft. Will there still be plenty of whales even in a £1k tournament? Should I just nit it up and hope somebody gives me a stack? I feel like a main event is something alot of recs would take a stab at just for an experience rather than the side events.

Will there be people opening 8bb like I have heard about in cash games?

Any advice / tips would be great so I have some idea of what I'm getting myself in for?

Thanks!

Oddly my 1st big like event was at the wsop 1K event. When I went to the event I was lucky enough to meet Jonathan little and asked if he would give me some advice and he did.

He told me to enjoy the show. and dont worry about anything. Look around and see the PRO's your playing with, cheer with many of the other players when then announce Shuffle up and deal. Jest soak in the experience and play your game and dont worry about what happens.

I took that advise to heart and just had fun playing. 2nd hand dealt I had 2 black nines and announced raise from UNG+2 and every folded. Once I won that hand i realized he was right. Just enjoy the experience and I did and had a blast doing it. Good luck

natsgrampy

natsgrampy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Try to get in your seat a few minutes early to let the butterflies settle. Don't be intimidated no one there is any different than you.

Enjoy yourself and play your game. Take it all in.

Good luck and keep us posted

SPANKYSN

SPANKYSN

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience is key. Don't be too fast to get your money all in early...hang in there longer and enjoy the experience. Yes, you may face poker pros, but the good thing about poker is that you can beat them...you may not stand a chance of beating Tiger Woods at golf or Roger Federer in tennis; but in poker, on any given day, you can beat the best poker players in the world. Good Luck !!

Organize a Home Poker Game