The 'Deal' Conversation amongst players

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
It comes up,
it always comes up (usually at FT and give the last man out not in pay scale a buy-in by everyone throwing in 10-15 bucks (like hey, here is money for almost making it, since we are not actually fans of making money ourselves and want to feel generous lol) , are you a jerk for saying you would rather play the tourney until the last two?:) What is it with just getting to being paid and being happy with covering 5X buy in? Is this not a tournament? Is that trying?:) Is this not gambling?

Before you roast my thought process, I have been an advocate of "deals" many tourneys, but the afterthought always has me thinking, wtf for...we are playing in a competitive setting for money, why "now" do we get charitable? Just because we walk away with more money than we lost? Stupid.

Last edited:
Emily Trott

Emily Trott

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
It comes up,
it always comes up (usually at FT and give the last man out not in pay scale a buy-in by everyone throwing in 10-15 bucks (like hey, here is money for almost making it, since we are not actually fans of making money ourselves and want to feel generous lol) , are you a jerk for saying you would rather play the tourney until the last two?:) What is it with just getting to being paid and being happy with covering 5X buy in? Is this not a tournament? Is that trying?:) Is this not gambling?

Before you roast my thought process, I have been an advocate of "deals" many tourneys, but the afterthought always has me thinking, wtf for...we are playing in a competitive setting for money, why "now" do we get charitable? Just because we walk away with more money than we lost? Stupid.
To each his own, and you aren't a jerk for wanting to play to the end. But of course the end is one player left not two as you said. Why wouldn't you play until there was an actual winner if you didn't want to make deals? At Foxwoods there was normally someone who set up the "bubble pool" that would give the person who was knocked out right before the button his or her entry fee back. I always played it, and think that I got the pool once. I've seen players who didn't want in and no one thought the less of them.

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Before you roast my thought process, I have been an advocate of "deals" many tourneys, but the afterthought always has me thinking, wtf for...we are playing in a competitive setting for money, why "now" do we get charitable?

I always thought the same thing. Why does the charity start at the FT ? I mean, why not when half the field is out so everyone would get a little more than the buy-in and we all go home !! As you said, we're competing for money, so why not all the way ?
That said, whenever I'm on a FT and they bring it up, I still say "I'm neutral" and go with whatever happens.

Pokerstudy

Pokerstudy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
To each his own, and you aren't a jerk for wanting to play to the end. But of course the end is one player left not two as you said. Why wouldn't you play until there was an actual winner if you didn't want to make deals? At Foxwoods there was normally someone who set up the "bubble pool" that would give the person who was knocked out right before the button his or her entry fee back. I always played it, and think that I got the pool once. I've seen players who didn't want in and no one thought the less of them.
There is just fun in splitting a huge pot between heads up, instead of the others that have gotten there by luck or chance. Sure, I am a hypocrite, perhaps I should not offer a deal at heads up, even if it costs me 600 bucks lol. It isn't a fear thing, its more of a screw it, we made it, lets get paid thing.

I am definitely sounding like a hypocrite when it comes to heads up...let me think on this:)

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If the money is life changing to you or you are in a hurry take the deal.

If you have a clear skill edge play it out.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't mind the chops since it's usually in the smaller trnys and after playing for 7-9 hrs, at least around here. The bigger ones which usually include a trophy and other prizes are definitely the ones you go for the top.

Roobz75

Roobz75

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I've seen it come up a few times online, but noone opted for it on my table. When I play live league poker, they usually do it most weeks, especially if the game is going on for too long, the night isn't young and the people are feeling old...😃

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Lots of tourneys are just too long and people have sat in their chair too long. Three or four hours is too long to play and is not even healthy. So if I get to that point I often click the make a deal button.