Analyze this 3-5 hand (all streets) played for stacks

B

beebooboobop

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Play is 3-5 NL, 9-handed $1K max buy-in. We're playing with a $10 straddle.

We pick up action when the CO opens to $30. He's in his mid-30s and I think he and I are possibly the most competent players at the table. He has a $3K stack to start, while I start this hand $1K effective.

I'm in the straddle, and I have Q5hh. Obviously I could fold here, but then we would have nothing to discuss :). I think anything suited is a decent defend candidate, though the rake is quite high live (it's $7 in total if hand goes to the river). So I defend for the extra $20.

The flop comes dry: Jx - 8h - 2x.

I check to the aggressor. He bets $35. Again, I can fold here, but this flop is somewhat dry. My thoughts at the time were that he could be stabbing with some Ax and Kx. I call, recognizing I have some optimistic backdoor potential (any 9 or 10 gives me gutter, any heart gives me extra equity, Q could be live as well).

Turn is a 9h, so I pick up both the gutter and the heart draw to go along with it. At this point the pot is $130. Again I check. The CO now bets $110, effectively polarizing himself. I'm debating what to do at this point, and I raise to $360. Thought process was that if I flat and I brick out on the flop I'm resigned to playing face-up. With the check-raise, it gives me a chance to bomb the river in case it's favorable. That doesn't stop the CO from calling though.

River: Kc.
I brick out. The pot has ballooned at this point to $850. I have around $565, so around a 2/3PSB. I take a few seconds before going all in. I don't think the K helps either of us much. At this point, I was really only repping QT, and having a Q is somewhat good, but I recognize having hearts is not. I get snapped off pretty quickly, as the CO has 22.

Question for you all. Analyze preflop, flop, turn, river. I know there's probably mistakes in plenty of places, and want to hear your perspectives. Thank you! :)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Play is 3-5 NL, 9-handed $1K max buy-in. We're playing with a $10 straddle.

We pick up action when the CO opens to $30. He's in his mid-30s and I think he and I are possibly the most competent players at the table. He has a $3K stack to start, while I start this hand $1K effective.

I'm in the straddle, and I have Q5hh. Obviously I could fold here, but then we would have nothing to discuss :). I think anything suited is a decent defend candidate, though the rake is quite high live (it's $7 in total if hand goes to the river). So I defend for the extra $20.

The flop comes dry: Jx - 8h - 2x.

I check to the aggressor. He bets $35. Again, I can fold here, but this flop is somewhat dry. My thoughts at the time were that he could be stabbing with some Ax and Kx. I call, recognizing I have some optimistic backdoor potential (any 9 or 10 gives me gutter, any heart gives me extra equity, Q could be live as well).

Turn is a 9h, so I pick up both the gutter and the heart draw to go along with it. At this point the pot is $130. Again I check. The CO now bets $110, effectively polarizing himself. I'm debating what to do at this point, and I raise to $360. Thought process was that if I flat and I brick out on the flop I'm resigned to playing face-up. With the check-raise, it gives me a chance to bomb the river in case it's favorable. That doesn't stop the CO from calling though.

River: Kc.
I brick out. The pot has ballooned at this point to $850. I have around $565, so around a 2/3PSB. I take a few seconds before going all in. I don't think the K helps either of us much. At this point, I was really only repping QT, and having a Q is somewhat good, but I recognize having hearts is not. I get snapped off pretty quickly, as the CO has 22.

Question for you all. Analyze preflop, flop, turn, river. I know there's probably mistakes in plenty of places, and want to hear your perspectives. Thank you! :)

Thank you for posting.

Live poker is exploit poker not GTO. What does that mean?
We target weak players and play only tight ranges vs competent players preflop.

As played we fold Q5 preflop as it is not a 2 way hand Q7 would be the lowest 2 way hand to call.

On the flop we fold OOP as our V can control this pot easily and we can make top pair and still be losing as we would have been here.

Hope this helps
:):):)

B

beebooboobop

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Simple and sweet :) Thank you.
I'll stop trying to be overthink things at lower stakes. Appreciate it!

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are absolutely right. If you had made a fold on the preflop, then there would be nothing to discuss. But one small mistake leads to a series of more serious mistakes. This flop is not right for you. You have only 3 outs to catch the top pair. But in the opponent's range there may be an AQ hand with which most players will make a continued bet on the flop. In this case, you draw dead cards, still losing even more when you get a queen. You should not think about the potential of the backdoor on such a board texture. Turn has improved the situation for you . But the check-raise is an incredible move here. This is an even more serious mistake than just watching the flop. Pay attention to the size of the opponent's bet. The villain can have AJ hearts or AK hearts in his range. Therefore, your flush draw may still be dead if you catch it on the river. Which leads to the loss of a very big pot. You think river hasn't improved anyone. But if the villain did not believe that you have QT on the turn, then he will not believe on the river either.

Y

YKCaiTLH1314

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
.....He's in his mid-30s and I think he and I are possibly the most competent players at the table.....

You shouldn't even be in this hand in the first place since you placed yourself as competent as he is.
1) You are off position.
2) You lost $1000 just to save your $10 straddle...just like you dont have to spend millions of dollars to invent a Space-pen for astronauts to be able to write without gravity, you could use a Pencil.
3) If you having difficulty finding a topic to post in CC, next time use your $1000 on a slot machine and film it with your mobile. Chances of you striking a jackpot is much higher than playing that hand.

*Sorry if i sound mean. This is poker, not a gamble.

As for hand analyze:

You killed yourself twice in this hand.
1) as mentioned above, you shouldn't play this starting hand.
2) on the turn, you 3x raise his bet, you rep holding TQ
Now, he call your turn...did you even give a thought what is he calling you with?
In the beginning, you said it yourself that you put him on Ax or Kx....didn't the K came on the river? Then why are your bluffing on the river when 1) He called your turn raise and 2) The river complete the hand you put him on.

Don't be a Degen, do your study or quit playing poker.

Last edited:
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands