AKs vs TT against Maniacs?

E

Erik343

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I was given advice to wait for premium hands against maniacs preflop. And to call them down with top pair or better on the flop.

I will play these in or out of position:
AA
KK
QQ
JJ
AKs

I will play these in position:
TT
AKo
AQs
AJs
KQs

My question is: is AKs better than TT or vice versa, especially vs maniacs?

Are these hands in the correct hierarchical order according to strength?

Last edited:
takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I like the AKs v 10-10 because you have way more flop equity. It's two over cards w/broadway, flush, and royal possibilities, so plenty of outs to be compared to a possible 2-outer.
Remember, AK is the best non-paired starting hand. ;)

JeffSBrito

JeffSBrito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello!

To play against a maniacal player who has a TT pair can be a challenge. It's important to stay calm and not get carried away by your aggressive style. In this case, it is recommended to take a more cautious stance and wait for strong hands before investing significant chips. Patience and hand selection are essential to avoid unnecessary confrontations. I tend to play every time I have AKo, or aQo.

aurora1207

aurora1207

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
When you use poker software to calculate the equity of one hand against another, you will find that AKs vs TT is around 45% vs 55% i.e. TT has a bit more advantage than AKs .

To put it simply, we can say that we are playing 50% vs 50% because the difference of 4 or 5 points is not really significant.

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Exactly as stated above. It's a tight race (almost coinflip situation)!!!

E

Erik343

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I had a follow up question...

What advice would you give playing against two or more maniacs at the table preflop? I know you must play tighter in multiway pots. One time I was playing where two opponents were involved in the pot every time preflop, and after that street both would keep raising 100% every hand. They were both eventually all-in. (I guess they were colluding too... I did not complain to the floor, because they were playing recklessly. Before the flop, the first guy would make a big raise, and the other friend would just call).

In this situation I was waiting for AA KK QQ AKs. I would then call them down with top pair or better.

What would you do in this scenario? Is this too tight? At least I now know how to beat one maniac lol.

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing against anyone with TT vs. AK is going to be tough. The goal against a maniac is to get it in good. If you have a really strong hand, raise pre-flop and then raise him again if he 3-bets or 4-bets you. They're relying on people folding to their aggression to win. They don't want to see a flop, because they are more likely to have 8-2 off than a pocket pair.

E

Erik343

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Sorry, but I was referring that I had the TT or AKs hand preflop, not the villain…