Can you learn to play poker without getting stuck?

luckyfish98

luckyfish98

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
poker is a very versatile game and like many other situations in life, it doesn't always run smoothly

Igor G

Igor G

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
In poker, a lot depends on luck. We do not have the ability to influence our luck directly, but we can influence it indirectly. If you are a more patient, disciplined, persistent player, you will greatly increase your chances of luck. Try to play and just enjoy the game process, a lot also depends on your positive attitude. Good luck :)

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Learning poker is a marathon not a sprint. There is a saying that goes something like "it takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master" and I can't think of many more examples where that is truer than in poker.

There are many obstacles along the learning journey and a lot of them relate to mindset issues.

As humans, we tend to look for the easy option or the quick fix. When it comes to studying, we kid ourselves that watching a twitch stream or high roller final table on PokerGo is studying, which unless you are truly focused how a pro plays a certain spot, this is really about as much use as watching a film or football match. Another thing we tend to do is study things that we're already familiar and confident with, but what use is that, if you already know it.

Real learning comes when you push your understanding of something, or get right out of your comfort zone and learn a completely new concept. The difficulty with that is that it is really hard to learn something new and when something is hard, we tend to give up.

Those with a strong determination to progress and be successful are almost always the guys that go pro and stay there for the long term.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Depends what you mean by "getting stuck". If you mean "stuck" in the monetary sense then yes. When I got into real money poker, I started with 2NL cash games, and I have never been "stuck" more than maybe 10$. I most likely started out with a sunrun, but even if that had not been the case, I would hardly have been "stuck" more than say 40-50$ at any point. And you can risk even less, if you start with freerolls or games like the $0,25 SnGs on pokerstars.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Learning poker is a marathon not a sprint. There is a saying that goes something like "it takes a minute to learn and a lifetime to master" and I can't think of many more examples where that is truer than in poker.
That is definitely true. And poker theory also evolves over time. The first training videos, I watched, were those made by Splitsuit for The Poker Bank, and they are now seriously outdated. Solvers in particular have created a whole new level of understanding of optimal (unexploitable) strategy, which just did not excist 10 years ago.
As humans, we tend to look for the easy option or the quick fix. When it comes to studying, we kid ourselves that watching a twitch stream or high roller final table on PokerGo is studying, which unless you are truly focused how a pro plays a certain spot, this is really about as much use as watching a film or football match.
I actually think, watching a final table can be a reasonable way to study. The reason is, that you usually get to see an unedited version of the action, and everyone are doing their best to play well. However if you then see the pro do something different, from what you would have done, then you need to watch training videos or read articles to try and find out why. And of course also understand, that a final table is played different from other phases of the tournament.

As for other form of streams I largely agree. If the camera jumps around between tables in an MTT, then the editing is done for entertainment rather than education. And the same is true for streamers, if they play multible tables, as most of them do. Streamed cash games are also not a good way to learn poker strategy, since some of the players are fish, and the pros usually play a much looser style, than they would off stream in order to have a chance of getting invited back.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
In one of Doyle Brunson's book's he says "Poker only takes 5 Minutes to learn, but a lifetime to Master" and it could not be any clearer! Even at his age he was seeing young guns rise from playing Poker On-line and teaching him a thing or two about Poker.
No one is truly a master of the game because we all have runs of bad luck, bad beats, and suck outs from other players who just get lucky, and make a hand from a two outer at the River, I see it on-line and in Live games, Once I witnessed a player shoving all in with Pocket Aces and his opponent called with Pocket Kings, The flop dropped K,K,J, and at that point everyone thought that Quads would surely win. They did but not Quad Kings! The player on Aces hit runner runner Aces to take the pot. An incredible bit of Luck and if it had happened On-line everyone would be screaming "Rigged".
Nothing skilful about it, just pure Dumb Luck!
It's funny how we can remember when some player sucks out on you and you lose to some stroke of Luck! But we forget when we strike it Lucky and do it to other players.

Matt_Burns88

Matt_Burns88

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I actually think, watching a final table can be a reasonable way to study. The reason is, that you usually get to see an unedited version of the action, and everyone are doing their best to play well. However if you then see the pro do something different, from what you would have done, then you need to watch training videos or read articles to try and find out why. And of course also understand, that a final table is played different from other phases of the tournament.
I agree with you, but my point here is to do with the focus of what you are watching. If you are really paying attention, making notes and trying to understand why the pros are making the plays they do, then yes, it can be useful. But I doubt there are many amateurs watching FT's that are really doing this in any meaningful way.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the more you play, the more you will develop your game. I try to put pressure on the players that play marginal hands and get them out early.

Fofa

Fofa

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker, much like life itself, is a dynamic and versatile game that doesn't always follow a predictable path. The ups and downs, the unexpected twists and turns, they all add to the intrigue and excitement of the game. It's in those moments of adversity that we often learn the most, not only about the cards but about ourselves as well. Embracing the unpredictability of poker is part of what makes it such a fascinating and enduring pursuit :D

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By my opinion, in Poker, as and in Life, we have to permanently overcoming the different obstacles: that terms and conditions
our Life, and that Game, as Poker!.. This means, necessary consistently and constantly to develop, that survive! No another way!
Nothing more and nothing less!