Are you hiding the strength of your hand?

leoniq888

leoniq888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Example:
You have 5s5d . You're on SB, opponent is on HJ. Your opponent came in with a mini-raise (2BB) in the preflop.
Flop: Ad-5c-Jh.
What's your move? Will you hide the strength of your hand or go aggressive?

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
most of the time i do hide the strength of my hand. but there are sometimes that i play aggressive and dont want to risk a showdown. it all depends how i feel i guess.

leoniq888

leoniq888

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the time, I follow this tactic, too. I wait for my opponent to act.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
It takes enough time and practice to change your habits. At first glance, it's foolish to risk your entire stack with a hand that isn't even on the poker hand rankings. But make it a rule to think first about your hand's equity relative to your opponent's implied range, and only then about your hand's place in the "table of ranks". After all, the one who laughs last laughs best. Personally, I always hide the strength of my hand to the last.

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I change my moves from time to time, depending on stack sizes, tournament phase etc. So I might bet this flop or check, there is no general way how I would play this flop.

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On one street you can hide the strength of your hand

J

June4Spades

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, I would try to hide my strong hand and hope for the opponent to raise. If he doesn't, only then I'll raise.

Timmah120

Timmah120

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In that example, the opponent only raised minimum, which was a huge mistake to begin with. It justifies a call with my 5-5. Now that I hit a set on the flop, I'm going to be betting for value the whole way, 1/2 to 3/4 pot-ish. I'm hoping my opponent has top pair and/or two pair. If they draw out to a flush/straight/boat, oh well. If they were sneakily playing AA or JJ, oh well. That's poker sometimes. Truth is, I'm way ahead on the flop and a favorite on two more streets, unless I get unlucky in the short term.

If there were more players in the hand besides just my one opponent, then obviously I'd play differently.

SOMETIMES, I'd play my hand a bit slowly, especially if I think the others at the table are learning that I always bet my strong hands for value. Once in awhile, to keep the players guessing, I'll play a strong hand a bit slower.

There's my two cents.

Gritz18

Gritz18

To Cesar, what belongs to Cesar.
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Example:
You have 5s5d . You're on SB, opponent is on HJ. Your opponent came in with a mini-raise (2BB) in the preflop.
Flop: Ad-5c-Jh.
What's your move? Will you hide the strength of your hand or go aggressive?

It will depend a lot, if the villain who min-raised is aggressive, in this case I'll give him rope to hang himself, if I'm short of chips I can go out donkebet, hoping he hit the A or J and comes all- in.

jfofla

jfofla

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't wait for the opponent to act, I'll be aggressive for sure.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
without a doubt, I will be aggressive, I will not wait for an action from my opponent

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If the villain bets then check-raise, or make a 3/4 pot-size bet and see what happens. If they hit the A then you might get raised, then re-raise and so forth. If the villain flat-calls any bet I'd be leery of J5std and proceed w/caution. GL.

kringoo

kringoo

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
In my way of playing,
I think it depends a lot on this stage of the tournament or how they are playing
, but I would open a little less than half the pot there because if I pick an A he won't fold easily and gives you more security to play the turn and river

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I will try my best to prevent my opponent from reading my hand!!! In this situation, I prefer to play check-call !!!

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It is difficult for me to hide the strength of my arm... they are quite large, bulgy with veins. The strength is quite apparent & difficult to hide!

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Better to check/raise the flop, villain hits good the range, he could also have some draws, 34 , KQ, QT, KT , pair like JT , Ax , you lose value playing slow here.
It's a 3 street value bet, if you're lucky he hits double pair and end up shoving.

M

melbru88888

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i try to look weak til the river and hope that he hit somthing or try to bluff me

mina271

mina271

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
It depends entirely on how strong my hand is and how my opponent plays. Normally I would show strength but sometimes it is better not to do that. I had AA and on the flop was 1A and my opponent started to raise, so I just called. Then on the turn came A again and my opponent raisde again and I called. Then the river came and I am Allin and he called me. He wasn't happy about it though. You don't always find something like that at the tables but if you have someone like that at the table then playing slowly also makes sense but otherwise strength would show

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands