You guys are just too good...

tignutz

tignutz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
your first problem is pondering whether your a good player or not. I try not to over think the game and if I use bankroll management (which i usually dont) I would probably never have to deposit.

snklzona

snklzona

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The trouble is trying to find the vital pieces of knowledge and sift them out from the crap. I appreciate fully that there's no easy way to do this quickly but I'm one of those people who really, really hates to appear ignorant or to ask stupid questions which betray how little I know about something. I need to get over this... somehow.

As the saying goes, "If you've been sitting at a poker table half an hour and haven't figured out who the fish is, it's you". What I need is the next step... what to do when you have figured out that you're the fish and want to shed those scales.

You see this is absolutely why I love this site...you are an extemely new member and here is all this outpouring of help and encouragement coming from people who have devouted years of their lives to this site...nowhere else have I seen this happen...if you love poker as much as I do stick with it and stay here...you will learn if you keep reading and post your questions...here is my quote to combat your fish one" the only stupid questuion is the one not asked "...good luck and hang in there...

Edit: PS you are not really gonna find alot of crap here...at least I have not...

bz54321

bz54321

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Losing is often what it takes to learn how to win.

I like this. Also I still think I am a horrible player all the time. Also never just trust any advise always put it to the test and see if it works for you. Also I play because I love games with out that I would have quit a long time ago. I play almost only tournaments and have lost a lot on the bubble after playing long hours. It helps to have a sick devotion that does not die even if you lose every time.

:viking:

Here is a story for you.....

When I was like 8 years old I had a baby sitter. I was just being ignored and pretty much left to my own demise. So I took all the pillows off the coaches and stacked them up and was playing on top of this stack of pillows. Well the sitter decided this was not allowed and told me to put them back. I did no such thing and kept playing on my stack of pillows. So the sitter came over and knocked down my pillow stack. Well I said nothing, I just started putting the pillows back into a stack to keep playing. The sitter knocked them down again, I built them up again. It went back and forth like this for what seemed like forever. Until the sitter gave up and I played on my pillow stack the rest of the night.

Don't give up and take what you want no matter how long it takes you can have it in the end. This story is symbolic of everything great I have ever done in my life.

Last edited:
T

tree88

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i am a new player also along with all the good advice already stated.i find when am not feeling mentally strong it helps me to take a little break from the game and in a short while i am looking forward to going to play.

likips

likips

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just play games harmoniously with your bankroll and don't give up.
Its takes a day to learn the game, but a lifetime to master. ;)

dmorris68

dmorris68

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This can be looked at in a positive light. Most (many) players think they are far better than they are (especially newer'ish' ones, but also many who've been playing for years). You sound open to learning which is a plus.
Pretty much this x1000.

Virtually all poker players have, at least at some point in their poker "career" (if not always), thought they were better than they were. It has happened to us all. The fact that you recognize that you have a lot to learn means you've broken down one of the biggest barriers to actually getting better. Never stop believing that you can learn and improve, because EVERYONE can.

And I agree that you'll find this forum is one of the more friendly and accomodating to beginners, provided your questions are sincere and you take to heart what is offered to you. It doesn't mean you have to agree or adopt the advice you're given, just take it in the spirit that it's offered (someone trying to help) and move on.

Where things fall off the rails and people's feelings get hurt is when someone posts something blatantly wrong, or asks for advice, and then doesn't like it when someone comes back at them with a truth they don't want to hear. Then they get all defensive and argumentative about it. Ignore the trolls and listen to the experience available to you here, then ultimately distill that down into what works for you.