Would you give up everything to be good at poker?

Aces2w1n

Aces2w1n

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The question is, even if you give up everything, are you sure we will be successful at poker?

Family happiness is permanent while poker happiness is temporary.

it wouldn't about being successful.... it would be being able to try to be successful without no bounds.

UnfadingTrain

UnfadingTrain

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Aces I feel your pain on people not taking poker seriously. My dad is my best friend in the entire world and he thinks it is a pipedream and not likely(which is probably is). After a few months of talking to him and discussing poker strategy with him it got to the point where I won't even call discuss this with him because of his remarks and not backing me up in my passion for something. Luckily my gf does support me (only because she has seen me win big) but doesn't play and still thinks i should win every time i play. lol if only...but having the support of someone close to you is irreplaceable. Without it you feel alone and I know the feeling.

But as far as your question goes I have 3 kids, a full time 40+hr week job, go to school full time, have a fiance, and somehow still manage to spend time reading poker articles and poker discussions and play poker nightly. I don't sleep a lot but I have ambitions and responsibilities so I have to make sacrifices.

Is it possible to play or study after your wife goes to sleep, or early in the morning before kids get up for school? I don't know your profession but is it possible on your lunch break? You created this thread and have replied to it a few times so you have some free time. Make the most of your time everyday, don't squander a single minute. I promise you there is time somewhere.

And as far as the family distracting you. Trust me for 1 year my current fiance(my 3 kids mother) and I were not together and for the first 3-4 months I loved it. I had so much freedom and did everything I wanted to do with no nagging or fussing from a woman. But it was a fools paradise. Be there for your wife and kids. Your kids will always need you and they hopefully be your best friends for life. I understand you talking about divorce but it is so hard on kids so do everything possible before you do that. Besides I feel like leaving someone when they're sick and can't take care of themselves is disgraceful.

Sorry post was so long but I wanted you to know what i thought and the reasons why I thought that way. Thanks for reading whole post and good luck in life, your decision and your marriage.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have done it if I don't have kids and family. 5 years ago I was in the same situation. I got a good job and a happy family but want to play poker full time. Fortunately, i focused on improving on my job, family and health. Now, I can poker as much as a want as a hobby. I've got a bankroll due to my success at my job. Wife and kids are happy. I even discuss poker hands with my wife. I convinced her that poker is just my hobby but I'm serious about it. If you can make your family happy, they will allow you for your own happiness as well. But I think happiness should be deep within us, no external factors. Cheers! Keep us updated on your thoughts!

This is the best response of the thread. To me, this is the best example of the kind of balance one should have. I am a married father of three young kids and when I look at those innocent faces, that is what makes me a winner.

You can have whatever you want in life if you put the effort into it. Being there for your ailing wife is far more fulfilling than winning some tournament.

I hope she gets better and wish you good luck in life and at the tables.

sergios

sergios

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Myself I would rather be a good father than the greatest poker player ever. I have won thousands of dollars in quite a few tournament in my day.Yes it is a wonderful feeling to win big and it can bring you joy but there will never be a greater joy in my life than what my kids have giving and continue to bring to me. There is no greater accomplishment for myself than knowing I have raised wonderful kids who are good people and are functioning and productive members of society.

I agree with you !! Family is the best thing a man can have !!

ScottieDuncan

ScottieDuncan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good players don't always win!!!!

TakinOver

TakinOver

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
glad i'm not the only one... oh i'm already using my energy to readup, analyse and crack what it takes to be good.

Thats good.. All mine is being sucked up but Ill find some time to use for this. I will find a way.:vroam:

PLAYINBIG

PLAYINBIG

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think everyone should be able to follow their dream.I would not give my family up for any fame or to be he best poker player in the world.I would hope that my family would support me though, in what ever my dream would be & help make it reality.If it never succeeded,I can say (I tried). Instead of wondering the rest of my life wonder what it would of been like .

exer888

exer888

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SK
Chips
duno, dont think so. I like to play this game , but still i dont think im so good to play professional .

Rain92

Rain92

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow I just feel that you're taking all this way too seriously. Were talking about being professional at poker. And wheres that gonna bring you 5 years from nw? However its your life so make good decisions and stick to it.

B

bojax

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To answer the title of the thread:

No, I would not give up everything to be good at poker. It's a hobby and not a way of life.

B

badalhoco345

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Obviously, family first. You have to play poker or oher sport or hobbie with pleasure and being confortable and happy with yourself to do that. If we want to be the best in anything we have to focus in what we are doing, do our best... There are persons that are good or they are the best because they are allways training, but don't Forget those guys who also gives everything and in some cases spend more time then the best of the world but they just don't get it. We also need a lot of luck to be very well succeded.

S

SuzanneEckert

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think, first of all you need to believe in this situation. After that, you ask questions to others.

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I would give up very little, if anything. I've been coming to the realization that I don't have the temperament to play poker professionally, for a while I thought it was a possibility but it's never going to happen. If I had to play this game for a living I think I would start to hate it very fast, I don't have the stomach to grind 20+ tables 12 hours a day, day in and day out like the pros do.

This will be nothing more than a casual hobby for me, that way it remains fun.